Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Light whistle just after startup

Options
  • 07-01-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    My car has developed a light whistling sound just after a cold start for less than 20 secs, does anyone know what the prob might be?
    money is tight!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭franorzxrh2

open bonnet, start car, listen for whistling noise!! could well just be a small vaccum leak!! check all small rubber hoses going to intake manifold, what year make nd model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sarahw520

It's 07 Peugeot 107
    Haven't heard it for a few days at all now..
    open bonnet, start car, listen for whistling noise!! could well just be a small vaccum leak!! check all small rubber hoses going to intake manifold, what year make nd model is it?

id keep an ear out for it anyway and if it does continue id get it looked at!! if its a "hissing whistle" its most likely an ear leak, also keep an eye on the rev counter at idle if its fluctuating (rising and dropping) revs that also adds to the air leak theory!, the only other thing i can think of would be a loose or worn out auxillary belt. but if its gone for now,, :):)

id keep an ear out for it anyway and if it does continue id get it looked at!! if its a "hissing whistle" its most likely an ear leak, also keep an eye on the rev counter at idle if its fluctuating (rising and dropping) revs that also adds to the air leak theory!, the only other thing i can think of would be a loose or worn out auxillary belt. but if its gone for now,, :):)
    Peugeot ( in their wisdom) never installed a rev counter on my car!!

haha!! even just listen out for the revs rising and dropping, yad be able to hear it!! :), when your fan belt snapped 2 years ago did it make this same noise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Water pumps and alternator pulleys would be the most likely cause of a whistle in these in my experience. It would be advisable to bring it to a mechanic.

edit: just read that its not a constant whistle so disregard what I said.

haha!! even just listen out for the revs rising and dropping, yad be able to hear it!! :), when your fan belt snapped 2 years ago did it make this same noise?
    No we checked d belt it looks ok

Advertisement