Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers inside!** Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - October 2013! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think Talonflame is my favorite of this Gen, so nice to have a usable flying type early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Does anyone else find Lumiose city a bit of a disaster? Such a confusing layout, with so many pointlessly similar cafes. The worst aspect being that approaching an entrance to read the sign and see what it is more often than not triggers entering the door. Very frustrating.

Edit: Another gripe - why do we have to go through the process of booting up the pokedex every two seconds when we're tracking a roaming pokemon? Come on, this thing has two screens, just let us track it constantly on the lower screen without having to go look it up anew every time we change route!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey, quick question.

Is there any area-by-area checklist yet for Pokemon on each route and what their appearance rate is? Since the habitat list is gone (:(), I was hoping there might be a checklist online where I can see what's in an area by area and check things off as I catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Hey, quick question.

Is there any area-by-area checklist yet for Pokemon on each route and what their appearance rate is? Since the habitat list is gone (:(), I was hoping there might be a checklist online where I can see what's in an area by area and check things off as I catch them.

there was one floating around reddit but i cant find it i usually use serebii and go through each of the routes separately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Hey, quick question.

http://i.imgur.com/x3V0mjw.jpg (large size)
    Bulbapedia has appearance rates, sort of. It's mostly guess work at the moment I think. Some can take ages to find, worst of all some of them have attacks like whirlwind and perish song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

have spent 50 hours breeding pokemon and not one single shiny,I am still only on badge number 2, how long before I get fly and surf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

My Friend Safari contains Espurr.
    I would be the unlucky ****er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

have spent 50 hours breeding pokemon and not one single shiny,I am still only on badge number 2, how long before I get fly and surf?

Badges 4 and 3 respectively. Rock gym followed by grass gym

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

OiOshawott wrote: »
    My Friend Safari contains Espurr.
    I would be the unlucky ****er

I love that autistic cat!!

Also, Kingdom Hearts 3D vs Pokemon X/Y is the best thing. Especially the last point!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Did anybody else choose an insult as their friend-nickname? It makes your "friends" seem like people who just come along to periodically bully you.

• Advertisement

Davidius wrote: »
    Did anybody else choose an insult as their friend-nickname? It makes your "friends" seem like people who just come along to periodically bully you.

I didn't get to pick a name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

CianRyan wrote: »
    I didn't get to pick a name?

You have the option, og BigC, Little C, and whatever the 3rd one is, and there's a 4th option underneath that let's you make one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's definitely Irish involvement in this game.

I was at the Battle Maison and earning BP through the single battle I think. Anyway I got to the boss - Nita or something like that? - and I thought she came across a bit Irish but thought nothing much on it.

Anyways I lost the match but her message was along the lines of 'Oh man, you must be scarlet. More training's your only man' and all this sort of stuff. It was actually pretty funny, aside from the fact I lost the battle that is.

There's definitely Irish involvement in this game.

I was at the Battle Maison and earning BP through the single battle I think. Anyway I got to the boss - Nita or something like that? - and I thought she came across a bit Irish but thought nothing much on it.

Anyways I lost the match but her message was along the lines of 'Oh man, you must be scarlet. More training's your only man' and all this sort of stuff. It was actually pretty funny, aside from the fact I lost the battle that is.

Yeah, I've noticed this.
    The game is very obviously set in Europe and I've noticed a good bit of Ireland poking through.

Was there any more on that new area after the league rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Got this game over the weekend. Have put in about 5 hours or so at this stage but definitely got a feel of what the game is like so will give a quick run down of my absolute loves and hates.

Will start with the bads:

Having found Pikachu early in the game and discovering his animation it was disappointing to see he was the only Pokemon with an animation. Definitely something to be improved on next generation.

The EXP. Share. I love how you get it so early but I really hate how it removes a lot of difficulty from the game. It's a much better idea than the previous generations (or at least the ones I played) but it still trivialises things. I got a traded farfetch'd early on and I'm only at parfum palace and it's level 28.

The best:

Wonder trade. Don't know exactly how this works but I love it. I absolutely love it. Now I haven't added anyone on boards to my list for trades yet bit this is literally everything a Pokemon game has needed since it launched all those years ago. This morning, at breakfast, I simply launched the game did a wonder trade and got rid of that chameleon-like Pokemon and got a level 30 ice-type. Was delighted!

Does anyone know how it works? Seems like it could be risky? I've enjoyed it so far anyway.

Animations are fantastic. You feel really involved with the game. When I seen caterpie string shot me for the first time I was actually like wow. Very cool how so many of the move animations are unique.

Dynamism. Lots of different Pokemon in lots of different areas. Obviously there are the generic ones everywhere but so far each area has had any different types to choose from. Unfortunately I never got around to catching an Abra but that's the beauty of the game. Really cool stuff!

Friends and foes. While the professor is still named after a tree the removal of one rival and addition of friends is just a fun difference. Noticeable compared to the other generations (or at least since gold/silver).

And finally, it doesn't matter much to me but game freak have made the game very accessible. New players can easily get stuck in while older players can kinda get stuck in from the get-go. This is kinda like a double-edged sword though. As mentioned above I believe the EXP share is going to make the game far too easy but time will tell.

Need to get into breeding which I believe is coming up soon in my game and then I need to read up on berries and find out if they are actually an integral part of the game. I never played a generation from fire red/leaf green on so anything after 251 Pokemon is completely new to me so will definitely have to check it out more whenever I end up getting fly.

All in all a very solid game which implements features I wish were in the game all those years ago when I used to stand in my school yard cloning mewtwo's using a link cable :(

The EXP. Share. I love how you get it so early but I really hate how it removes a lot of difficulty from the game. It's a much better idea than the previous generations (or at least the ones I played) but it still trivialises things. I got a traded farfetch'd early on and I'm only at parfum palace and it's level 28.
    I HATE the new Exp share. It's either on or off, with no fine-tuning if you only want to advance one or two of your charges (eg bringing along a couple of low-level mon with a team of 4 higher level mon, using the 4 to grind XP for the 2 tiddlers). I used to have 5 EXP shares so that I could train up to 5 passive 'mon at a time, but I rarely used all 5. The new Exp share coupled with the lack of Audino (or other easily found high-XP 'mon; at least I've not seen one yet) makes training a single 'Mon a real pain in the arse. Which is a shame since the Super Training makes EV training so precise.

Is it a perception thing? Does the Exp share give half the XP to the battling 'Mon and share the other half with the rest, or does it give each passive 'mon a full half of the XP from the battle? Is XP scaled up / down based on the relative level of the opponent, like in Gen 5? It's hard to tell when you don't see the numbers for passive 'mon on-screen.
    Wonder trade. Don't know exactly how this works but I love it.
    I'm no expert but the way I see it Wonder Trade is like that episode of the Twilight Zone where the couple are given a button that, if they press it, they get a million quid but someone they don't know will die.... When you wonder trade, you get paired with another random wonder-trader, they get your 'mon, you get theirs. There doesn't seem to be any control to match "good" trades with "bad" trades - you might, say, send a Spewpa and get a Charmander, or send a Vulpix and get another Vulpix back. Karmically, Wonder Trade is more worth-while if everyone puts good 'mon in. But what you think is good and what I think is good might not be the same.

The best thing about Wonder Trade is that early on you can get something fantastic off a complete stranger, and then later in the game when you have access to more exotic 'mon you can pay it forward to other complete strangers. I always pay a tithe of 1 hatchling to the WonderTrade when breeding, it gives me an enormous sense of well-being :)

Banjo wrote: »
    I HATE the new Exp share. It's either on or off, with no fine-tuning if you only want to advance one or two of your charges (eg bringing along a couple of low-level mon with a team of 4 higher level mon, using the 4 to grind XP for the 2 tiddlers). I used to have 5 EXP shares so that I could train up to 5 passive 'mon at a time, but I rarely used all 5. The new Exp share coupled with the lack of Audino (or other easily found high-XP 'mon; at least I've not seen one yet) makes training a single 'Mon a real pain in the arse. Which is a shame since the Super Training makes EV training so precise.

Is it a perception thing? Does the Exp share give half the XP to the battling 'Mon and share the other half with the rest, or does it give each passive 'mon a full half of the XP from the battle? Is XP scaled up / down based on the relative level of the opponent, like in Gen 5? It's hard to tell when you don't see the numbers for passive 'mon on-screen.

I'm no expert but the way I see it Wonder Trade is like that episode of the Twilight Zone where the couple are given a button that, if they press it, they get a million quid but someone they don't know will die.... When you wonder trade, you get paired with another random wonder-trader, they get your 'mon, you get theirs. There doesn't seem to be any control to match "good" trades with "bad" trades - you might, say, send a Spewpa and get a Charmander, or send a Vulpix and get another Vulpix back. Karmically, Wonder Trade is more worth-while if everyone puts good 'mon in. But what you think is good and what I think is good might not be the same.

The best thing about Wonder Trade is that early on you can get something fantastic off a complete stranger, and then later in the game when you have access to more exotic 'mon you can pay it forward to other complete strangers. I always pay a tithe of 1 hatchling to the WonderTrade when breeding, it gives me an enormous sense of well-being :)

Never even thought of putting good Pokemon forward, I feel bad now! But yes, it is a very convenient way of getting strong Pokemon early in the game which suits me down to the ground!

Also, Wonder Trade give you pokémiles too, which you can trade in Lumiose for PP Ups, Heart Scales, and other items! I pour my imperfect babies into Wonder Trade. Better out there than rotting in my PC :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I got out a notepad and did some testing with the Exp. Share when the games first came out because it bothered me not knowing how it worked. The lead Pokemon gets the same experience from the battle whether Exp. Share is on or not. Everyone else gets half the experience the lead Pokemon earned each.

So say the lead gets 600 exp, the other 5 on your team get 300 each regardless of their level.

I don't know if experience scales with the lead Pokemons level or not though. I didn't feel like it was but you never know. A way to test it would be try battling your highest level and lowest level Pokemon against the same wild encounter on route 2 and see what they each earn?

finally got around to taking on the E4. Disappointingly quick - only really needed 1 mon per E4 member. The Champion was tough enough though, it came down to the wire. One of the downsides of Wondertrading - of my team, only 2 of the 'Mon were caught or bred by me, the rest were from strangers. Final team
    Luxray (Lv 66) / Greninja (Lv 66) / Gardevoir (Lv67) / Aurorus (66) / Pangoro (69) / Talonflame (72)

Not sure if they were over-levelled, but that's where they were when I arrived - The only grinding was for the Luxray - I got him on a trade around Badge 7. I love Shinxes, and I didn't have a trained up grass or electric type for the Water E4 guy, so I trained him up from nothing. And in the end he took out 2 of the champ's mon including a very near thing as my last Pokemon standing, Wild Charging the MegaEvolved Gardevoir on low health with Quick Claw. Think he has a perfect speed EV (the guy said it can't be beat) which is a bonus... I'll be impressed with that for the 5 minutes it takes me to find the Friend safari building and start catching 2+ 31 IV 'mon in the wild :)

BTW, if anyone can let me know what my 3rd slot in Friend Safari is that would be super...

Now, who's got Ditto in their Safari? I fancy me some IV breeding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This has probably been asked here a dozen times before. If so, I apologise. I don't want to root through the thread though, as I'm haven't started X yet and I don't want to run into spoilers. Anyways the question is- can pokémon be sent from previous DS titles into X/Y carts? I've been planning on migrating babies of my old teams into the latest game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Short answer; not yet.

Pokemon bank opens on the 27th (I think) though, and that'll allow you to transfer pokemon over.

Angron wrote: »
    Short answer; not yet.

Pokemon bank opens on the 27th (I think) though, and that'll allow you to transfer pokemon over.

Ah, ok. So you send your boys to a cloud, and then retrieve them into your other cart? That's a paid subscription kinda gig though, isn't it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, but it's supposed to be free for the first month or so I think, for folks who just wanna transfer their best stuff or whatever.

Yeah, but it's supposed to be free for the first month or so I think, for folks who just wanna transfer their best stuff or whatever.

Cool. I best get my act together and finish Emerald and Leafgreen then so I can egg my boys and send them on before the subscription comes out.

Thanks for the, swift reply, by the way :)

I just checked, there's a trial version you can download for 30 days. And no problem, I was browsing boards on my phone when I noticed the post :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

deathrider wrote: »
    Cool. I best get my act together and finish Emerald and Leafgreen then so I can egg my boys and send them on before the subscription comes out.

Thanks for the, swift reply, by the way :)

Just to note, if you're transferring from GBA games you'll have to send them via pal park to diamond/pearl/platinum and then from those games to black/white/black 2/white 2 and then from those to pokemon bank and then finally X and Y!

Just to note, if you're transferring from GBA games you'll have to send them via pal park to diamond/pearl/platinum and then from those games to black/white/black 2/white 2 and then from those to pokemon bank and then finally X and Y!

Yeah, I know the craic with that. I'm taking one team from each previous gen (through the GBA and DS games). It's gonna be a bit awkward, but it'll nd worth it in the end.

Cheers for the heads up though :)

Tried the Super Multi Battle today with one of the AI partners, and got KO'd by my team-mate >_> Had a pokémon with dig, but theirs was faster. They used Earthquake, and I used Dig after it. Figured there's no way they'd use it when I had dug down, turned out I was wrong. What makes it worse was they were using it, and the enemies had a bloody flying type so it was less useful cause it was hitting me harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Finished the game a while ago. One-shotted all the champions pokemon with a Moxie Krookodile. Disappointingly easy game with no real challenge from the AI at all.

On the other hand the social interaction is really cool, wonder trade, aquaintances, friend list all are good additions.

Edit: Finishing team

Krookodile
    Scyther
    Blastoise
    Lucario
    Garchomp
    Talonflame(only for fly really)

Just finished beat the Pokemon League yesterday as well and it didn't pose a challenge but I'm going to assume, like the others, the real challenge will start happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

there's very little to do post game other than breed or do battle maison

Yeah, sadly the post-game is rather sparse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

got this yday, 10 hours in, team is way over powered

just caught xerneas with one ultra ball....wtf....1......

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's not surprising, a few of us caught those legendaries fairly easy.

Yeah, that's not surprising, a few of us caught those legendaries fairly easy.

tis shocking, bring back the days of wasting 90 odd ultra balls for a legendary I say. Oh added your fc too

I think it took me two, no sleep etc though.
    Disappointing post game, the looker arc was cool but too short and confined.
    Especially with rumours of getting another land to play in never happening. :(

someone has a good taste in music, just before route 21 a npc informed me his pokemons nickname is sepultura

Yeah, I saw that before and got a good chuckle out of it. Apparently in one of the other languages he says its name is Ash Ketchum or something like that.

• Advertisement

Mewtwo, Moltres and Main Legendary all caught with a total of 4 ultra balls, the snake guy took 7 by himself. Just got a Jap bulbasaur, off medusaing I go

Pokémon Bank opens for us tomorrow, I've managed to get a few of the starters on the GTS already.

Edit: apparently it's been delayed, got taken down in Japan.

I got a good few of the starters already....delayed.....boooooooooooooo

Delayed or not, until the eShop is back we're not getting nothing ;)

eh...didnt know starters could be in safari just ran into a frogadier

eh...didnt know starters could be in safari just ran into a frogadier

Get yerself a male Sylveon to lead the party , you can catch a female more easily and there's a chance it'll have the Protean ability

You can get all the gen 1 and 6 starters in one form or another from friend safari

Banjo wrote: »
    Get yerself a male Sylveon to lead the party , you can catch a female more easily and there's a chance it'll have the Protean ability

You can get all the gen 1 and 6 starters in one form or another from friend safari

already did, if you want any the starters(just bog standard not specially bred) let me know

If anyone's looking for some high-IV scythers, I've bred a tonne with the ultra rare Defog egg move! PM me if you're interested, I'm looking for Pokébank mons, but IV bred mons will do too!

If anyone's looking for some high-IV scythers, I've bred a tonne with the ultra rare Defog egg move! PM me if you're interested, I'm looking for Pokébank mons, but IV bred mons will do too!

Any interest in a female Mantine with 5 perfect IVs? They're the Scythers of the sea!

Tyrogues bred and ready to trade if anybody wants any of the hitmon evos!

• Advertisement
Advertisement