Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers inside!** Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - October 2013! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

IV breeding is a game of chance and odds - and therefore can be "won" through brute force and sheer volume, but Destiny Knot is your friend - it lets you stack the deck in your favour

When the egg is created, it gets 6 random IVs, between 0 and 31.
    At this point, you might fluke a 6 perfect-IV baby. It's unlikely, but possible. A little over 1 in a billion chance, I think.

Next the game selects 4 IVs to pass down to the egg. At this point, you're praying that you didn't get that 1 in a Billion baby, because your parents are about to Katona it :)
    I'm fuzzy on how this works - I believe it picks 2 from each, and that HP can only be passed over if it's picked in the first round. But basically, it can pick any 2 from each. You might pick Attack twice from each parent. You might get lucky and pick the 2 perfect IVs from each parent. The formula is something like Parent 1 (Perfect IVs/6)*(Perfect IVs excluding HP/5)* Parent 2 (Perfect IVs/6)*(Perfect IVs excluding HP/5) - so with 2 parents with 2 perfect IVs each, one of which is HP, you would expect 1 out of every 75 eggs to inherit all 4 perfect IVs. I think

(That assumes that the 2 parents have 4 different perfect IVs between them. If there's cross over you're wasting your time :) Also, it does not account for the odd fluke 31 natural)

The Destiny Knot lets each egg inherit 3 IVs from the DK parent and 2 from the other. I think. It may just be 5 total from both. It can be any of the available IVs, not just the good ones!

So, if you start with 2 IVs each, you need to brute-force your way to one of the parents having 3 IVs, the sub the 3 IV parent into the breeding, increasing your chances of a better child. Breed - replace -breed.... make sure that 2 of the 3 IVs are shared with the parent you're replacing or you're actually losing one from the chain.

To speed things up, try to use a male parent that was caught in Friend Safari (guaranteed 2 perfect IVs, and you can control their gender (using cute charm) or nature (using synchronize)) or catch a non-breeding baby mon from that egg group. Babies caught in the wild have guaranteed 3 perfect IVs.

Nidoran Males can't breed till they evolve, can they?

Use an evolved wild baby to boost your IV pool, then sub them out when you either get a matching 3 IV male parent (no point in losing one IV from the chain)

Smogon University explains it better than I do. I should have mentioned that earlier :D
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1#3A

It's boring hatching all those eggs but oddly addictive. I've bred Mantine and Feebas with 5 perfect IVs now, and am working off and on on Riolu (nice easy start, as you can easily catch 2 parents with 3 31 IVs.)

bear in mind, if you want 6 perfect IVs you really need to have 2 parents with 5 perfect IVs each (not required, but tips the odds as far in your favour as they'll go) and a lot of luck to fluke that 6th IV :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Guess I'll just have to keep trying.

30 eggs and I havent gotten any more than 2. Odd thing is it's the exact same two every single time! HP and Speed (or just one of them). Was wondering if Destiny Knot was locking them in or something which is why the others werent coming up.

Have yet to find a guide that explains it like I'm an idiot. Think that is what I need :pac:

IT's probably just bad luck.

The RNG hates IV breeders. That's well documented [citation needed]

Well, what perfect IVs do your 2 Torchic parents have?

Edit : you can use the power items from the Battle Maison (Chateau? The one that's post-E4) to ensure that a parent passes on a specific IV, to increase your chances of getting a 3 IV parent, but that means giving up using Everstone to ensure you pass on a specific nature.

Edit 2 : D'oh! Nidorans can breed... but, Lucario is in your egg group, so catch a handful of male Riolu, look for one that has the 3 IVs you want, still a soothe bell on that bad boy and get to it!

They both have HP and Speed. I'm happy enough to have gotten to that considering I started with a 0 IV Blaziken and a 0 IV Ditto. I'll accept it being bad luck and keep trying. It's not like I have anything else to do since I finished my Living Pokedex minus the Legendaries. The plan was always to IV breed my team from scratch.

Havent bothered with the Maison but the Chateau have to be sick of me issueing writs :pac:

If both parents have the same perfect IVs then you are relying on blind luck. Each stat has a 1 in 32 chance of being 31 at birth, assuming that the RNG isn't weighted in some way.

The DK doesn't create 31 IVs, it just lets parents pass down multiple IVs. If neither of the parents have any 31 IVs you're actually decreasing your chances of getting a child with any 31 IVs, since between 1 and 5 of it's randomly generated IVs - any of which could fluke a 31 - are over-written with a number that is guaranteed to not be 31!

Sub the male out for a wild-caught male Lucario that has 3 IVs that aren't HP or Speed. That gives you a pool of 5 potential perfect IVs. Give the DK to the Lucario and breed off about 20 eggs, hatch them and see what you get. Sub in any valid substitutes and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What's the best way to calculate IVs once they've hatched? do you need to level them up a few times? (and how do you do this without picking up EVs?)

Up to 4 now but it will be five as soon as the numbers fall my way. Turns out I had a 4 IV Eevee just sitting in the pc. Missing Special Attack on both Torchic which is the one I was least concerned about. It's actually a lot simpler than the guides suggest. It sounds really complicated but it's actually nice and simple. Just need a move set now. For egg moves, both parents have to have it, right?

Speaking of which, I have about 50 Torchic's now if anyone wants one :pac:

Newaglish wrote: »
    What's the best way to calculate IVs once they've hatched? do you need to level them up a few times? (and how do you do this without picking up EVs?)

Bring them to the guy on the top left in the Pokémon Center in the Friend Safari town. He tells you what's perfect or zero. If he doesn't say they can't be beat, they are not 31.

Egg moves in gen 6 can come from either parent but typically can't be learned any other way so have to come in to the line from a male other species parent

If both parents know a move the baby can learn by evo the baby gets it.

Tms aren't passed down this gen

The jump from 4 to 5 can take a while. Its a one in 20 chance if both patents have 4 IVs that cover the Spread

Flamethrower passed down for me. Don't think Torchic learns it naturally.

Just after getting my 5 IV Torchic but forgot about Natures as I wasn't trying for a 5 IV. I was looking for a female with SpDef and Speed as I had a male with the other four. Will a 5 + 4 have a good chance of producing another 5?

86 eggs by the way.

Pokecheck have hacked the 3DS, meaning they could be back up and running fairly soon. Would be hilarious if they got it going before bank was out globally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

to be fair bank has already been shown to be ineffective at stopping non legit mon

Arawn wrote: »
    to be fair bank has already been shown to be ineffective at stopping non legit mon

1. A level one Bulbasaur with Tackle, Overgrow and no IV's over 31.
    2. A level one Bulbasaur with Fire Blast, Blizzard, Wonderguard and IV's over 31.

Both are hacked (so technically non legit) in, but the first wont be stopped because it is legal. The second is illegal and would probably be stopped.

Bank is out. You have to have X or Y in your console or it may not work the first time.

Wish it had waited another week so I could finish B2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The stress of using this software... Christ.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    The stress of using this software... Christ.

Whats wrong? I havent done it yet. Trying to blast through the rest of B2 now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm not finding it stressful, but it involves a lot of swapping gamecards and starting the two apps repeatedly. Just brought my complete National dex to Prof. Sycamore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Swapped a few lads from White2, and I've got to egg up more before I transport them. However, I can't see where the option to download Celebi is. Any ideas?

deathrider wrote: »
    Swapped a few lads from White2, and I've got to egg up more before I transport them. However, I can't see where the option to download Celebi is. Any ideas?

From reddit:

Download Pokemon Bank

Go into the app, and set up your bank

You'll be given a choice to receive 100 pokemiles or 10 BP from Brigette. Choice either, and after this choice, save, quit, and go back onto Pokemon X/Y

On the opening screen of Pokemon X/Y, open "Pokemon Link" (green button at the bottom)

Select "Yes" to "retrieve data using Pokemon Link"

You should receive your 100 pokemiles/10 BP

Now, go back into the pokemon bank app and repeat steps 3-6. Brigette will give you a celebi instead of the 100 pokemiles/10 BP

Cool. I'll try that when I get back home.

• Advertisement

Job jobbed. After using the bank a few times for transfers, the lady offered me the Celebi. No hassles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Once I've beaten Red in SoulSilver and caught Groudon, I swap my team and Groudon over, and then all I'll have to do is data trade a few legendary pokemon and my pokedex will be complete in X.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've only ever completed a pokedex once, and that was the original 151 back in the first gen games.

So I've decided to really try and do it here, now that the Pokebank is out. I've not got everything on the other games, but I'm hoping I've got enough to trade intelligently :)

I've only ever completed a pokedex once, and that was the original 151 back in the first gen games.

So I've decided to really try and do it here, now that the Pokebank is out. I've not got everything on the other games, but I'm hoping I've got enough to trade intelligently :)

If you are just doing a regular Pokedex, you can get all the legendaries by trading one for another. You likely wont even need a second game. Living Pokedex and that wont work. You'll need to get them yourself in other games unless you get very lucky.

You'd be surprised what Legends you can swing for a shiny or a 6IV-with-breeding-move-set 'mon. Unless the Bank is very clever about what it lets through based on your history, this is basically free rein to clone the crap out of everything from Gen 5 back - it's only going to get easier.

Shiny Living Dex or Bust, I say!

Banjo wrote: »
    You'd be surprised what Legends you can swing for a shiny or a 6IV-with-breeding-move-set 'mon. Unless the Bank is very clever about what it lets through based on your history, this is basically free rein to clone the crap out of everything from Gen 5 back - it's only going to get easier.

Shiny Living Dex or Bust, I say!

Pretty sure the likes of Yveltal are programmed not to be shiny. Since Pokedit and stuff doesnt work with Gen VI (yet), I'm saying bust :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Got a Deino of Wondertrade, it's quite nice but like with my Scizor just had the disappointing realisation that there's no way to teach it Superpower cause of the lack of tutors. Probably go with Flash cannon just for fairy coverage or something.

Living Pokedex done in a little over 200 hours :D

Only had to cheat for one, and that was Manaphy since it cant be traded unless it's a hack so same difference.

Caught the vast majority across Platinum, Black 2 and X, traded for the exclusives, and used Pokedit for the event only Pokemon like Darkrai and Mew.

Still not a single shiny to be seen anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Is Mew counted in these Pokedexes? Was Mew every legitimately available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah there was a mew given away in 2010 via wi-fi in HG/SS to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Gold and Silver. I think that's the most recent one anyway. Of course lots of events in Japan and whatnot.

Wasn't there one for Pokemon Ranch on the Wii if you fed it enough pokemon?

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Wasn't there one for Pokemon Ranch on the Wii if you fed it enough pokemon?

Yeah but I think it was something ridiculous like 1,000 pokémon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yeah but I think it was something ridiculous like 1,000 pokémon.

You say that like 1k is a hard thing to reach, but I'm sure people have enough breeding rejects to fulfil that quota :P

My PC is now full. Guess I better get wondertrading. Obviously dont need anything but I have loads of spare decent Pokemon so I'm sending them on until I get crap and then releasing.

Still need a white Flabebe, five Vivillons and seven Unown's. Then I'm 100% finished.
    TheChrisD wrote: »
    You say that like 1k is a hard thing to reach, but I'm sure people have enough breeding rejects to fulfil that quota :P

Dont have the game, but wasnt the issue having to do them one by one?

no you could mark a whole bunch of them and upload them. You could view your boxes and mark the 'mon you wanted, and upload multiple pokemon at a go. I think you might have been able to mark multiple 'mon in multiple boxes but that could be wishful thinking. At the very least it was box by box, but it was designed for uploading a few mon at a go - it's not designed for uploading 1000 at a time to get your Mew.

It might have gone through each one you uploaded though to welcome them, which would have been very tiresome for bulk uploads, but ironically for a Ranch game it's not built for farming!

The downside was that it tied the 'mon to their parent cart, you couldn't upload from Diamond and download to Pearl, or for example upload from diamond, have your diamond cart become completely corrupt to the point that it crashes your DS if it's inserted (don't ask me how, but I managed it - don't carry 7 DS carts in the same jeans pocket as your house keys and small change, kids!) and then try to download to another save on another Diamond cart.

Got my first ever 6IV Pokemon :D

A lovely baby girl Dratini.

Is their any Pokemon that can have Flame Body, False Swipe and Fly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nope. The only pokemon able to get Flame Body and Fly are Moltres, Volcarona, Fletchinder and Talonflame, none of them can learn False Swipe. Why do you ask?

Angron wrote: »
    Nope. The only pokemon able to get Flame Body and Fly are Moltres, Volcarona, Fletchinder and Talonflame, none of them can learn False Swipe. Why do you ask?

To allow me to carry five eggs but also have False Swipe just in case I encounter a shiny. I always go through Connecting Cave and sometime the grass on the way back to Lumiose City so it would suck to be without False Swipe. As such, I've to keep two Pokemon to have all three meaning only four eggs. Talonflame looks like it should be able to learn it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Anybody else feel that shiny Pokemon are more easily found in these new games? I've found over 5 shiny Pokemon since I got X in December, and normally that wouldn't have happened in previous games D=

LoganRice wrote: »
    Anybody else feel that shiny Pokemon are more easily found in these new games? I've found over 5 shiny Pokemon since I got X in December, and normally that wouldn't have happened in previous games D=

I havent found any! :(

• Advertisement

I've found one, Farfetch'd.

I've yet to find any, in any game in the wild! :( Bar the shiny Gyarados of course. I've hatched a couple of shiny eggs but never a wild encounter.

I've yet to find any, in any game in the wild! :( Bar the shiny Gyarados of course. I've hatched a couple of shiny eggs but never a wild encounter.

I have a Corsola from Pearl, otherwise nothing in game since GSC. Not even any eggs, and I've hatched over a 1000 in X. A few on old roms but they don't count for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Shinies definitely seem more common to me in X and Y. I've found shiny Smeargle, Altaria and Graveler (scary!) in the wild, plus hatched shiny Chespin, Ekans and Shroomish.

I generally "only" got 1-2 shinies per generation before that.

Just did a few tests for Pokebank to see what gets blocked.

Illegal levels (Mewtwo @ level 1)
    Illegal abilities (Farfetch'd w/ Flame Body)
    Illegal moves (Mewtwo with Fly)
    Illegal EV's (Over 510 total)

Not sure why so many complain about it. It clearly blocks seemingly anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Emile_Heskey

So is it ok to send over a hacked mon created using action replay that has max IVs but legit moves and abilites etc?

So is it ok to send over a hacked mon created using action replay that has max IVs but legit moves and abilites etc?

Assuming levels are legal, I dont see why not.

I've been playing Pokemon games since 1999. Just won the lottery for the first time ever. A lovely shiny Master Ball :D

Didnt get to take a picture of it as I wasnt paying attention and only seen it before it went off screen. Checked my bag to make sure I didnt misread it in the fraction of a second I had, and sure enough, two Master Balls. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

just picked up my shiny charm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

I've managed to get all forms of Unown and Vivillon. Thank you to those who traded with me or gave tips or pointed me in the right direction. Of course there are still 3 pokemon out there to get (And megas, and forms) but only 1 has been officially announced so far. (Dont know if people saw this)

Advertisement