Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers inside!** Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - October 2013! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I have the Oval Charm so eggs are done in less than 30 seconds. It's keeping them equal that's the problem.

I'll keep trying it anyway, but let me know when you can trade in case it hasn't happened yet. Do you want anything in particular for it?

nah once bank opens ill be sorted for most so not picky just throw anything out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'll download bank on my Japanese 3DS later so and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hi Pokémon fans, sorry it's taken until now before we could give you an update on Pokémon Bank. Today we can inform you that the Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter services have now resumed operation in various Asian territories. We'll be closely monitoring players' experiences as we prepare for the European release. We're aware many of you are eager to start using these services so once again we want to apologise for the delay, and thank you for your patience and your interest.

Or in other words, STILL no word on an EU release :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm debating whether this is my favorite Pokemon game or the worst. Quite a toughie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm debating whether this is my favorite Pokemon game or the worst. Quite a toughie.
    Take away the graphics and new mon. It has regressed story wise, which is a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I got pokemon bank and pokemover up and running. Not sure I like the way it only lets you add everything in box 1 of the game you're transferring from at one time. Still, it's handy enough and works and I got a free celebi.

If anyone needs any pokemon from previous gens let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Got my Hitmontop today for a Phanphy. The Clefairy one was gone before I could confirm it :mad: For me, that's the most annoying aspect of the game "this Pokémon has already been traded."

Also got a second Mewtwo in exchange for Porygon w/ Up-Grade. Just got Unown for a Chimecho and earlier got a Phione for a Chimecho. Guess they are popular? If anyone wants a Phione let me know. I have about 15 of them before I got bored hatching.

As for my Living Pokédex, I'm missing the legendaries (bar those in game and Phione) and a couple of evolutions of Pokémon I have ready to go. Hopefully Pokébank sees an increase of legendaries available, then I won't need to buy a gen 5 game :D

If you do need a Gen 5 game and all the Tesco €5 ones are gone, you can get White 2 from Argos for €18 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'm creating an Eevee party at the moment for the craic, currently breeding for natures and then going to EV train them using special training. Anyone got any recommendations on:

Which six evolutions to pick?
    Which natures are best for each one?
    What way should I EV train them?

So far I'm thinking:
    Flareon (Adamant, for attack)
    Vaporeon (Bold, for tanking)
    Leafeon
    Jolteon (Timid, for insane speed)
    Sylveon
    Glaceon

Any suggestions? I'm also not sure at what level to evolve them, I'm assuming getting all of the Eevee moves and then using heart scales to get the evolved moves I've missed is the best strategy?

Didnt know about the Tesco thing. I'll have a look there as soon as I can.

Quick IV breeding question. I've got Torchic up to 2 IV's each. But it won't go any higher. Is the Destiny Knot preventing it? Am I better going without it for another while?

• Advertisement

IV breeding is a game of chance and odds - and therefore can be "won" through brute force and sheer volume, but Destiny Knot is your friend - it lets you stack the deck in your favour

When the egg is created, it gets 6 random IVs, between 0 and 31.
    At this point, you might fluke a 6 perfect-IV baby. It's unlikely, but possible. A little over 1 in a billion chance, I think.

Next the game selects 4 IVs to pass down to the egg. At this point, you're praying that you didn't get that 1 in a Billion baby, because your parents are about to Katona it :)
    I'm fuzzy on how this works - I believe it picks 2 from each, and that HP can only be passed over if it's picked in the first round. But basically, it can pick any 2 from each. You might pick Attack twice from each parent. You might get lucky and pick the 2 perfect IVs from each parent. The formula is something like Parent 1 (Perfect IVs/6)*(Perfect IVs excluding HP/5)* Parent 2 (Perfect IVs/6)*(Perfect IVs excluding HP/5) - so with 2 parents with 2 perfect IVs each, one of which is HP, you would expect 1 out of every 75 eggs to inherit all 4 perfect IVs. I think

(That assumes that the 2 parents have 4 different perfect IVs between them. If there's cross over you're wasting your time :) Also, it does not account for the odd fluke 31 natural)

The Destiny Knot lets each egg inherit 3 IVs from the DK parent and 2 from the other. I think. It may just be 5 total from both. It can be any of the available IVs, not just the good ones!

So, if you start with 2 IVs each, you need to brute-force your way to one of the parents having 3 IVs, the sub the 3 IV parent into the breeding, increasing your chances of a better child. Breed - replace -breed.... make sure that 2 of the 3 IVs are shared with the parent you're replacing or you're actually losing one from the chain.

To speed things up, try to use a male parent that was caught in Friend Safari (guaranteed 2 perfect IVs, and you can control their gender (using cute charm) or nature (using synchronize)) or catch a non-breeding baby mon from that egg group. Babies caught in the wild have guaranteed 3 perfect IVs.

Nidoran Males can't breed till they evolve, can they?

Use an evolved wild baby to boost your IV pool, then sub them out when you either get a matching 3 IV male parent (no point in losing one IV from the chain)

Smogon University explains it better than I do. I should have mentioned that earlier :D
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1#3A

It's boring hatching all those eggs but oddly addictive. I've bred Mantine and Feebas with 5 perfect IVs now, and am working off and on on Riolu (nice easy start, as you can easily catch 2 parents with 3 31 IVs.)

bear in mind, if you want 6 perfect IVs you really need to have 2 parents with 5 perfect IVs each (not required, but tips the odds as far in your favour as they'll go) and a lot of luck to fluke that 6th IV :D

Guess I'll just have to keep trying.

30 eggs and I havent gotten any more than 2. Odd thing is it's the exact same two every single time! HP and Speed (or just one of them). Was wondering if Destiny Knot was locking them in or something which is why the others werent coming up.

Have yet to find a guide that explains it like I'm an idiot. Think that is what I need :pac:

IT's probably just bad luck.

The RNG hates IV breeders. That's well documented [citation needed]

Well, what perfect IVs do your 2 Torchic parents have?

Edit : you can use the power items from the Battle Maison (Chateau? The one that's post-E4) to ensure that a parent passes on a specific IV, to increase your chances of getting a 3 IV parent, but that means giving up using Everstone to ensure you pass on a specific nature.

Edit 2 : D'oh! Nidorans can breed... but, Lucario is in your egg group, so catch a handful of male Riolu, look for one that has the 3 IVs you want, still a soothe bell on that bad boy and get to it!

They both have HP and Speed. I'm happy enough to have gotten to that considering I started with a 0 IV Blaziken and a 0 IV Ditto. I'll accept it being bad luck and keep trying. It's not like I have anything else to do since I finished my Living Pokedex minus the Legendaries. The plan was always to IV breed my team from scratch.

Havent bothered with the Maison but the Chateau have to be sick of me issueing writs :pac:

If both parents have the same perfect IVs then you are relying on blind luck. Each stat has a 1 in 32 chance of being 31 at birth, assuming that the RNG isn't weighted in some way.

The DK doesn't create 31 IVs, it just lets parents pass down multiple IVs. If neither of the parents have any 31 IVs you're actually decreasing your chances of getting a child with any 31 IVs, since between 1 and 5 of it's randomly generated IVs - any of which could fluke a 31 - are over-written with a number that is guaranteed to not be 31!

Sub the male out for a wild-caught male Lucario that has 3 IVs that aren't HP or Speed. That gives you a pool of 5 potential perfect IVs. Give the DK to the Lucario and breed off about 20 eggs, hatch them and see what you get. Sub in any valid substitutes and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What's the best way to calculate IVs once they've hatched? do you need to level them up a few times? (and how do you do this without picking up EVs?)

Up to 4 now but it will be five as soon as the numbers fall my way. Turns out I had a 4 IV Eevee just sitting in the pc. Missing Special Attack on both Torchic which is the one I was least concerned about. It's actually a lot simpler than the guides suggest. It sounds really complicated but it's actually nice and simple. Just need a move set now. For egg moves, both parents have to have it, right?

Speaking of which, I have about 50 Torchic's now if anyone wants one :pac:

Newaglish wrote: »
    What's the best way to calculate IVs once they've hatched? do you need to level them up a few times? (and how do you do this without picking up EVs?)

Bring them to the guy on the top left in the Pokémon Center in the Friend Safari town. He tells you what's perfect or zero. If he doesn't say they can't be beat, they are not 31.

Egg moves in gen 6 can come from either parent but typically can't be learned any other way so have to come in to the line from a male other species parent

If both parents know a move the baby can learn by evo the baby gets it.

Tms aren't passed down this gen

The jump from 4 to 5 can take a while. Its a one in 20 chance if both patents have 4 IVs that cover the Spread

Flamethrower passed down for me. Don't think Torchic learns it naturally.

Just after getting my 5 IV Torchic but forgot about Natures as I wasn't trying for a 5 IV. I was looking for a female with SpDef and Speed as I had a male with the other four. Will a 5 + 4 have a good chance of producing another 5?

86 eggs by the way.

Pokecheck have hacked the 3DS, meaning they could be back up and running fairly soon. Would be hilarious if they got it going before bank was out globally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

to be fair bank has already been shown to be ineffective at stopping non legit mon

Arawn wrote: »
    to be fair bank has already been shown to be ineffective at stopping non legit mon

1. A level one Bulbasaur with Tackle, Overgrow and no IV's over 31.
    2. A level one Bulbasaur with Fire Blast, Blizzard, Wonderguard and IV's over 31.

Both are hacked (so technically non legit) in, but the first wont be stopped because it is legal. The second is illegal and would probably be stopped.

Bank is out. You have to have X or Y in your console or it may not work the first time.

Wish it had waited another week so I could finish B2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The stress of using this software... Christ.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    The stress of using this software... Christ.

Whats wrong? I havent done it yet. Trying to blast through the rest of B2 now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm not finding it stressful, but it involves a lot of swapping gamecards and starting the two apps repeatedly. Just brought my complete National dex to Prof. Sycamore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Swapped a few lads from White2, and I've got to egg up more before I transport them. However, I can't see where the option to download Celebi is. Any ideas?

deathrider wrote: »
    Swapped a few lads from White2, and I've got to egg up more before I transport them. However, I can't see where the option to download Celebi is. Any ideas?

From reddit:

Download Pokemon Bank

Go into the app, and set up your bank

You'll be given a choice to receive 100 pokemiles or 10 BP from Brigette. Choice either, and after this choice, save, quit, and go back onto Pokemon X/Y

On the opening screen of Pokemon X/Y, open "Pokemon Link" (green button at the bottom)

Select "Yes" to "retrieve data using Pokemon Link"

You should receive your 100 pokemiles/10 BP

Now, go back into the pokemon bank app and repeat steps 3-6. Brigette will give you a celebi instead of the 100 pokemiles/10 BP

Cool. I'll try that when I get back home.

• Advertisement

Job jobbed. After using the bank a few times for transfers, the lady offered me the Celebi. No hassles.

Advertisement