Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny, Cleanest Place in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Great news, fair play to all the volunteers- you've done us proud. KK cleaning up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Congrats to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

What's the criteria for being a tidy town? Is it based within a certain radius of the town centre and along the main roads. I walk the dog regularly around the estates of Ashfield, New Orchard etc and up the Johnswell Road. There is always lots of litter around. Don't get me started on the dog fouling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

They obviously didn't walk the ring road...dogshhh every few metres. Seems to be the done think here in KK to let the dog do its business whereever it wants. Same at back of castle..the green area near the little carpark is unwalkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

well it is not bad as places go, and it is a large city/town , not much dog poo in town, well perhaps the council. I would reckon the green by the cinema is not too healthy for youngster's to play on.
    Good on the volunteers, by the way will the council tax be used to compensate the volunteers? Did big phil help?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

well it is not bad as places go, and it is a large city/town , not much dog poo in town, well perhaps the council. I would reckon the green by the cinema is not too healthy for youngster's to play on.
    Good on the volunteers, by the way will the council tax be used to compensate the volunteers? Did big phil help?

Why do you keep mentioning him on every thread? It's really tiresome. Again nothing to do with him...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why blame the council?
    The issue with the likes of dog poo and litter are caused by people that just don't care about where they live or their country.

It shows a lack of respect to everyone and the country we live in and instead of people looking for others to blame perhaps they should take some responsibility?

People need to ask themselves,
    - When was the last time YOU picked up dog poo (if you own/walk a dog)?
    - When was the last time YOU ensured you binned the litter you had properly?
    - When was the last time YOU challenged somebody who was dropping litter?

Good on the volunteers, by the way will the council tax be used to compensate the volunteers?

You don't understand what volunteering is do you, here let me help you:
    a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.
    a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

If we pay volunteers then they are not volunteers anymore, volunteers in this instance did stuff for the good of where they live and the city and the city in general.

Mfitzy, just asking a question, which should have resulted in a yes or no, I mean he did dig the first sod for the new A&E at Luke's. Is this like Harry Potter, he who cannot be mentioned.
    Cabaal, honestly Volunteering really doesn't need spelling out, well perhaps there are those who do not quite grasp the nettle, at least you may have helped them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Large city :pac: I hate to dissaggree over the poop level, I walk along Patrick street and at least once a week I'd come in with crap on my feel, the place is covered
    mick kk wrote: »
    They obviously didn't walk the ring road...dogshhh every few metres. Seems to be the done think here in KK to let the dog do its business whereever it wants. Same at back of castle..the green area near the little carpark is unwalkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Take a walk in either the cinema car park or the recycling car park and you will come across some nice dog droppings ;-)

It would appear that whoever conducted the survey on the kilkenny for cleanlinest ever did a lousy job or were prompted to give Kilkenny a clean bill of health, not suggesting it was a put up job, oh dear no.
    Poster's are suggesting the place is wallowing in dog poo, surely the area's being referred to have the benefit of street cleaner's?
    I do not see many dog's walking round the city/town, only those with owner's on lead's, how many have been prosecuted for allowing fouling and not picking it up.
    I thought we had litter wardens patrolling the streets, do we?
    I guess nothing is sacred anymore, when pure Irish beefburger's contain horsemeat from a foreign source.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The Borough Council have implemented a pooper scooper (I wish I could think of a better phrase, I really do) initiative since 2005. It was heavily promoted at the time, not so much since. But if you want to the necessary tools to do your part in stopping your dog's crap destroying our streets, the Borough Council will provide it for you. I would imagine you just need to show a little bit of initiative and actually get in touch with them and do it yourself.

The street cleaners in Kilkenny work hard and they can be no more responsible for dog crap on our streets as they can be for young lads pissing in doorways of a Saturday night. It's all down to individual responsibility in these cases.

The street cleaners in Kilkenny had 3 days off over Christmas and look at the absolute state of the Town Hall on the morning of December 27th. It was destroyed by idiots. If not for work of KKB and Supermacs staff, it would have stayed that way. It wasn't the street cleaners fault that this happened.

Cabaal nailed this. It's personal responsibility all the way.

(And by the way, the green near the cinema is exceptionally clean and safe to play on.)

personally I always carry a small supply of plastic bags, it is so easy to clear up after your best friend has done a whoopsee. It is a waste of money having pooper things when plastic bags are so easy, if you buy nappy bags they are perfumed.
    I agree we get what we deserve, so youngster who urinate on saturday nights and make the place an eyesore must come from out of kilkenny
    or have lacked basic training ffrom an early age. how do they wash their hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The Borough Council offer those little plastic bags too for dogs, handy to have.

And young lads most likely don't wash their hands after pissing on the city streets. Just make sure they don't touch your Mizzoni's pizza.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that they come from outside of Kilkenny either. Idiots are idiots, regardless of geographical boundaries.

Advertisement