Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holidays visa

Options
  • 07-01-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

So the brother was into my mother today and he is talking about going to the states working on this visa. He knows a guy he worked with in Ireland that also went over on the visa.

This guy got a banker to get him social number etc to stay. He has no work visa. Both the brother and this guy are carpenters.

Would the brother be able to do the same as this guy. He only going so he can pay for the wedding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the type of visa one where you can legally work over there? Or is he aiming to work on a tourist type visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

The holiday visa he is on about going on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Then no, he can't undertake paid work in any way, shape or form when there. To do so would be illegal and in breach of a tourist visa/visa waiver's terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Then no, he can't undertake paid work in any way, shape or form when there. To do so would be illegal and in breach of a tourist visa/visa waiver's terms.

Thank you. I was saying this to my mother HE wouldn't able to work over there. All he has to say is this lad he worked with got a lad he knows from new York that knows a banker to help stay in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Sounds as if he's just saying this to your mother in the hope that she'll swallow the story & won't worry about him being deported for working illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sounds as if he's just saying this to your mother in the hope that she'll swallow the story & won't worry about him being deported for working illegally.

That, or (what it sounds like to me) it's one of those cases where a friend of an uncle of a friend's neighbour did X.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Also, there's nothing stopping anyone from getting a Social Security Number, even on a tourist visa, but it'll be indicated on it that the person won't have the right to work without further papers (Employment Authorization Document for example).

If he still decides to head over to work knowing that it's illegal then good luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Ponster wrote: »
    Also, there's nothing stopping anyone from getting a Social Security Number, even on a tourist visa, but it'll be indicated on it that the person won't have the right to work without further papers (Employment Authorization Document for example).

If he still decides to head over to work knowing that it's illegal then good luck to him!

That used to be the case but now they won't give SSNs out now without a reason. As a J2 I wasn't entiltled to get one until I received authorisation to work

That used to be the case but now they won't give SSNs out now without a reason. As a J2 I wasn't entiltled to get one until I received authorisation to work

Didn't know that !

My wife and I applied for ours about 4 weeks ago. In took 5 days in NYC for the application to be processed and to receive the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Didn't know that !

My wife and I applied for ours about 4 weeks ago. In took 5 days in NYC for the application to be processed and to receive the cards.

We got out SS with no issues either on L1a/L2a visas

my wife is still waiting on her EAD but she got the SS with no issues. The only visas they won't let you get a SS on (AFAIK) is the VWP, and any visitor visa that does not allow paid work or compensation from an american source

• Advertisement

my wife is still waiting on her EAD...

We're about to do that tomorrow. From the companies she has already spoken to regarding work all have said that there isn't a need to wait for the EAD. The fact that it's been applied for is good enough to begin working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

We're about to do that tomorrow. From the companies she has already spoken to regarding work all have said that there isn't a need to wait for the EAD. The fact that it's been applied for is good enough to begin working.

Hmm, i have heard conflicting reports on that. Our lawyers said not to , as they are preparing our case for green-cards already and didn't want anything to sully that.

The exact wording from our lawyer was this
    " Please be advised that this receipt notice, standing alone, do not grant your spouse work authorization."

and from their FAQ on their site
    "Yes. L-2 spouses can work while in the United States. We strongly urge L-2 spouses to apply for Employment Authorization Documents
    (EADs) via USCIS Form I-765 in order to work in the U.S. without issue. While there is a general understanding between The U.S. Department
    of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) that an L-2 spouse need not obtain an EAD to work, the reality is
    that the SSA is inconsistent in issuing Social Security numbers to individuals who do not possess a USCIS document indicating employment
    authorization. The better option is for the L-2 spouse to apply for an EAD card. An EAD may be issued in increments of up to two years at a
    time but cannot be issued for a period longer than an L-2’s authorized period of stay (the Form I-94 expiration date), which also corresponds
    with the L-1 principal’s status in the United States. Please note that L-2 children do not have the ability to work in the U.S. L-2 children and
    spouses may attend school with no other documentation required. "

Yes, the whole L2/EAD business took an age for us to figure out but to be safe we decided to apply for it just to be sure but as I said, most companies she spoke to said that there was no need to wait for the papers to come through (3 months?) before starting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

We got out SS with no issues either on L1a/L2a visas

my wife is still waiting on her EAD but she got the SS with no issues. The only visas they won't let you get a SS on (AFAIK) is the VWP, and any visitor visa that does not allow paid work or compensation from an american source

As a J2, which is a non-immigrant visa, I required an EAD if I wanted to work and as such wasn't entitled to get a SSN until I had one (J2s have to work to further their own career, their J1 spouse is supposed to earn enough to support the family).

My son was born in the US and his SSN just arrived in the post the day after we got home from the hospital. He doesn't know how lucky he is!

Advertisement