Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallagher to sue

• 07-01-2013 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

you can delete/lock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Little_Korean

Good lord, is that crybaby still at it?

It's time to let go and move on, Seanie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

Sean Gallagher, the man who lost the presidential election is suing RTE, (the taxpayer) because his Smart Homes business affairs was brought to light in a dishonest manner...not denying the issues involved mind you.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gallagher-brings-frontline-to-court-3343497.html

So much for wanting to help the country. Another lying out for himself Fianna Failer, shock horror. Can we really defend this on the grounds that he has a case? He does, but isn't this just really about filling his pockets because it's accepted wrong was done, he's not fighting the substantive issues and he's not going to be President even if he wins?

Thankfully we did in the least dodge a bullet by not having him as our President.

Of course he has a case like "my pocket is more next to me than anything else and it needs to be feeded". The impression I´ve got from his "defending himself" was, that if he could he even had tried to deny his former membership of FF. The only question that springs to my mind is, why he´s coming up with all that after more than one year since the election. I guess he´s running out of money(?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

He's been biding his time on this one. Looks like he wants the big pay day by hook or by crook.
    Interesting to see that he's using the same barrister who represented Louis Walsh on his recent foray through the courts.
    Must think he's onto a winner here.
    Taxpayers to fork out big style here methinks.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thomas_I wrote: »
    Of course he has a case like "my pocket is more next to me than anything else and it needs to be feeded". The impression I´ve got from his "defending himself" was, that if he could he even had tried to deny his former membership of FF. The only question that springs to my mind is, why he´s coming up with all that after more than one year since the election. I guess he´s running out of money(?).

He waited a year because firstly he wanted to wait for the BAI report, which upheld his complaint. Then he wanted to wait to see the outcome of the RTE report, and to see as to whether RTE would accept responsibility and issue an apology. The RTE report did find failings in how it put together the debate, but it was far short of accepting responsibility and far far away from issuing an apology. This was despite the BAI's findings that there were serious oversights on behalf of RTE.

So yeah, the reports were only fully in the public domain as of last November. Obviously Gallagher has been weighing up his options since then regarding as to whether the legal route is now the only avenue he can take to seek redress. It doesn't seem that he has just decided to take the action out of the blue as you perhaps suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Probably needs a few euro. What a close shave the nation had :eek: The irony is that the bogus tweet outed the bogus independent candidate. You gotta laugh at the double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

He waited a year because firstly he wanted to wait for the BAI report, which upheld his complaint. Then he wanted to wait to see the outcome of the RTE report, and to see as to whether RTE would accept responsibility and issue an apology. The RTE report did find failings in how it put together the debate, but it was far short of accepting responsibility and far far away from issuing an apology. This was despite the BAI's findings that there were serious oversights on behalf of RTE.

So yeah, the reports were only fully in the public domain as of last November. Obviously Gallagher has been weighing up his options since then regarding as to whether the legal route is now the only avenue he can take to seek redress. It doesn't seem that he has just decided to take the action out of the blue as you perhaps suggest.

Thanks for that.

I think that what made his disappointment even harder were the poll results which pushed him very far in leading the election. During the running election campaign I visited the websites of each candidate and I was also following the media about them. All of them candidates, except the then elected candidate M. D. Higgins, had either performed themselves in a bad way or were not prepared or even willing to tell the truth on questions set up to them. Gallagher was one of these candidates which discredited themselves by their own behaviour.

After all, although M. D. Higgins hasn´t been the candidate of mine, the Irish electorate did more than well to vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

To be fair if I was in the same spot I'd possibly do the same, (although I've too much self respect to be affiliated with FFail) but then again I wasn't bull****ting the Irish nation about wanting to represent the country to help the country as my main priority in life.
    He's some brass neck though, regardless of how it came to light, it came to light, (as did the facts of the tweet so his case has to be about the loot and nothing else) and I'm delighted it did. Now it's just sour grapes and greed on his part.

Thomas_I wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I think that what made his disappointment even harder were the poll results which pushed him very far in leading the election. During the running election campaign I visited the websites of each candidate and I was also following the media about them. All of them candidates, except the then elected candidate M. D. Higgins, had either performed themselves in a bad way or were not prepared or even willing to tell the truth on questions set up to them. Gallagher was one of these candidates which discredited themselves by their own behaviour.

After all, although M. D. Higgins hasn´t been the candidate of mine, the Irish electorate did more than well to vote for him.

Has it ever occurred to Gallagher that the electorate did not like the truth about him even if the tweet was bogus. RTE will probably settle with him even though he would have a job IMO proving damages or loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

True colours shown. Really was in it for the cash.

MadsL wrote: »
    True colours shown. Really was in it for the cash.

That has been his CV so far, including the bid for Presidency, why stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Can we avoid potentially problematic allegations, thanks. If you want to comment on the Smart Homes/Home Wiring Systems issues, please do so in a manner that does not allege anything defamatory.

A reminder of the issues involved:

1. Gallagher received a €20k startup loan for his company Home Wiring Systems from Louth Enterprise Board

2. Shortly after this, he created another company, Smart Homes, which operated the same business, while Home Wiring Systems was left to cease trading

3. He received advice that the loan remained with Home Wiring Systems, and did not need to be repaid by Smart Homes

4. Louth Enterprise Board took a different view, and Gallagher eventually settled out of court for 'substantially' the full sum.

Note the complete absence of wrongdoing proven in court, and bear that in mind, please.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Can we avoid potentially problematic allegations, thanks. If you want to comment on the Smart Homes/Home Wiring Systems issues, please do so in a manner that does not allege anything defamatory.

A reminder of the issues involved:

1. Gallagher received a €20k startup loan for his company Home Wiring Systems from Louth Enterprise Board

2. Shortly after this, he created another company, Smart Homes, which operated the same business, while Home Wiring Systems was left to cease trading

3. He received advice that the loan remained with Home Wiring Systems, and did not need to be repaid by Smart Homes

4. Louth Enterprise Board took a different view, and Gallagher eventually settled out of court for 'substantially' the full sum.

Note the complete absence of wrongdoing proven in court, and bear that in mind, please.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Not quite.
    He got an Enterprise loan for HWS. When he created Smart Homes, he transferred the assets of HWS to it. This left the debt with HWS, which he let go to the wall. He then refused to pay Louth council back for the loan, but after a three year legal battle did pay it back.
    And keep in mind, this is all taxpayer money we're talking about here.
    I guess, should he run again, it'll be up to the voters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Not quite.
    He got an Enterprise loan for HWS. When he created Smart Homes, he transferred the assets of HWS to it. This left the debt with HWS, which he let go to the wall. He then refused to pay Louth council back for the loan, but after a three year legal battle did pay it back.

To be fair, that's just a different wording of the same thing with somewhat more emphasis on the negative aspects. I've no objection to that, mind you - my issue is with people summing up those dealings in a way that implies things that have not been tested, never mind proven, in court.
    And keep in mind, this is all taxpayer money we're talking about here.
    I guess, should he run again, it'll be up to the voters ;)

Sure, and hopefully they'll remember not only the business issues involved, but also his incredibly poor response to them. The latter on its own, before even reading about the Smart Homes business, clinched my opinion that he was totally unsuitable for the post. Someone who ducks and runs the moment he's faced with criticism just isn't capable of fulfilling a public role - nor does suing RTE add any positive lustre.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I personally didn't vote for him, but I have ntohing against him taking RTE to the cleaners. The obligation of our national broadcaster to be honest, and not attempt to deliberately bias the electorate, is paramount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I see you edited my opening post. Is this normal and allowed on Boards.ie?
    I received no notification on this and would not have approved. If there were any errors should I not be notified or with any points disagreed with, have them simply hashed out in open debate as is the norm rather than a Mod simply re-writting my opening post without even seeking permission?
    MOD REMINDER:
    Please be advised that discussion of moderation in-thread is not permitted by Charter. Please read and comply with Charter. If you have a question about moderation, PM the mod that edited your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mr j tayto wrote: »
    He's been biding his time on this one. Looks like he wants the big pay day by hook or by crook.
    Interesting to see that he's using the same barrister who represented Louis Walsh on his recent foray through the courts.
    Must think he's onto a winner here.
    Taxpayers to fork out big style here methinks.:mad:
    Another reason to cut off all state funding to RTE. It doesn't even provide unbiased news anyway.

Advertisement