Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you get Running shoes half size too big?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

For the last year i had Kinvaras in a size 10.5 where my normal shoes are all size 10 and always have been, fit fine. Never tight.

My Kinvaras are on way out so ordered a pair of Brooks Green Silences in a size 10, they arrived today and if a normal shoe they're perfectly fine but just wondering should i run in them?

There was more space in Kinvaras but maybe didn't need to be?

How important is it to have excess space in running shoes.

Like i said these feel fine as normal shoes but is that enough?

Thanks for help!

Ian

Comments

some shoes are true to size, some are not. google the particular shoe and check what people say. to me kinvaras are a a bit snug - need to go 1/2 size up. I also have green silence and take the normal size - same as in shoes. you don't want too much excess space in shoes - your feet shouldn't be moving around inside as you run.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

i went to buy runners last week and was advised to buy a half size up, so got a 11.5 instead of a 11, asics by the way in the asics shop in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Sizing can depend on the brand, and in some cases the model.
    For instance, Adidas is known to be narrow, that goes for running shoes to football boots and seems to be across the range.
    I run in Inov8 shoes, but there's a difference between the road shoes and most of the trail shoes, they use different lasts, and the one for the road shoes have more space in the toebox.
    Having said that I tried one of their lightest road shoes in the same size I usually take and felt I was swimming in it.

Its also necessary to consider what mileage you'll be doing. If you're only doing short runs up to 10k you could be perfectly fine, but once you up the mileage of a run, you could start to get toe issues if your longest toe is hitting of the inside of the shoe.
    Most people will size slightly up on that basis, its all personal feel & whether you've got odd shaped feet to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

+1 on what spurs says re; brands and models....

A good general rule of thumb is to put them on, stand up, move your feet as far forward into the shoe as possible and you should be able to fit the top of your thumb between your heel and the back of the shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

digger2d2 wrote: »
    +1 on what spurs says re; brands and models....

A good general rule of thumb is to put them on, stand up, move your feet as far forward into the shoe as possible and you should be able to fit the top of your thumb between your heel and the back of the shoe.

Agree with whats posted here.

Another good indicator is to go by the European size. Thats a standard metric size regardless of brand and so if you get your correct European size it should be the same across all brands.

Bought the only usefull thing i learned working in a sports store for 5 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I always buy my runners a size bigger than my normal shoes, and I attribute the fact that I never get blisters to exactly that.

Adidas tend to be particularly small in my experience, but I buy all brands a size bigger and I have never ever regretted doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I just go by what's comfortable - size 6.5ish in normal shoes, but generally a 7-7.5 in running shoes. Still have all toenails present and accounted for after 4.5 years of running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Always buy a .5 size bigger, as your feet will expand as they get warm in the runners. The extra .5 size stops them from getting blisters.

Most good running shops would tell you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Always buy a .5 size bigger, as your feet will expand as they get warm in the runners. The extra .5 size stops them from getting blisters.

Most good running shops would tell you this.

But, too much movement in the shoe will promote blisters.

I dont think a rule for everyone and every brand of shoe makes sense.

My runners are the same size as my ordinary shoes and I have never had a blister running ( Got a few from dodgy heels over the years, but thats anothe story).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

huskerdu wrote: »
    But, too much movement in the shoe will promote blisters.

I dont think a rule for everyone and every brand of shoe makes sense.

My runners are the same size as my ordinary shoes and I have never had a blister running ( Got a few from dodgy heels over the years, but thats anothe story).

Yeah fair enough, Mizuno Waves used to give me blisters as too much room at top of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

glasso wrote: »
    some shoes are true to size, some are not. google the particular shoe and check what people say. to me kinvaras are a a bit snug - need to go 1/2 size up. I also have green silence and take the normal size - same as in shoes. you don't want too much excess space in shoes - your feet shouldn't be moving around inside as you run.

That's great Gasso, thanks for reply.

Thats good to know, as the Green Silence do feel fine.

I went for 10km in them today. Feel good bit different from Kinvaras but no probs with them.

iancairns wrote: »
    That's great Gasso, thanks for reply.

Thats good to know, as the Green Silence do feel fine.

I went for 10km in them today. Feel good bit different from Kinvaras but no probs with them.

the difference to me between kinvara and green silence for me is in the cushioning and the heel to toe drop. the kinvara is quite low drop - 4mm so it exercises your achilles and calves more. it's also very soft and cushioned. the green silence is closer to normal runners in the heel-to-toe drop as it's 8mm. the cushioning is a bit harder. I didn't like the green silence at all at the start as found them hard but now love them - it seemed to soften a bit after about 50 or 60 miles. pity that they are discontinued - might try to find another pair before they're not available at all anymore. overall I still find the kinvara to be a faster shoe for some reason. both good shoes though. probably prefer the GS at the moment. anyways as I said all shoes are different in sizing really so best to research online from users opinions and go with the majority opinion as different manufacturers vary in length and width in the same size (some have different width sizes). good advice tho from the person who said that the european size (43, 44) etc is usually more accurate - I've seen shoes with the same size in uk / us (adding 1 for US size of course) but different European numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Another good indicator is to go by the European size. Thats a standard metric size regardless of brand and so if you get your correct European size it should be the same across all brands.

Unfortunately this is not as accurate as you would think, or as it should be.

A uk8.5 is a 42.5 in men's Mizuno, while an Asics uk8.5 is 43.5 and the Asics is still a tighter fit. In New Balance a 43 is uk9 and sizes on the foot smaller than The same Mizuno.

It should be simple and standardised but its not.

And yes, a half to full size bigger is needed for your 'running' foot but your shoe size needs to be accurate first too. You might be surprised at how many people don't have the correct size in footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

glasso wrote: »

the difference to me between kinvara and green silence for me is in the cushioning and the heel to toe drop. the kinvara is quite low drop - 4mm so it exercises your achilles and calves more. it's also very soft and cushioned. the green silence is closer to normal runners in the heel-to-toe drop as it's 8mm. the cushioning is a bit harder. I didn't like the green silence at all at the start as found them hard but now love them - it seemed to soften a bit after about 50 or 60 miles. pity that they are discontinued - might try to find another pair before they're not available at all anymore. overall I still find the kinvara to be a faster shoe for some reason. both good shoes though. probably prefer the GS at the moment. anyways as I said all shoes are different in sizing really so best to research online from users opinions and go with the majority opinion as different manufacturers vary in length and width in the same size (some have different width sizes). good advice tho from the person who said that the european size (43, 44) etc is usually more accurate - I've seen shoes with the same size in uk / us (adding 1 for US size of course) but different European numbers.

Well funny you mention it as first impression was deffo Kinvaras felt faster shoe even though I think the GS are lighter. And yeah GS felt stiffer, so I was feeling did I get the right pair as I want to improve speed this year!

I really want to get the fly knit racers from nike tbh even though there €180!!

Also sportshoes.com have the GS's for €40 with free delivery. That's why I got them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Unfortunately this is not as accurate as you would think, or as it should be.

A uk8.5 is a 42.5 in men's Mizuno, while an Asics uk8.5 is 43.5 and the Asics is still a tighter fit. In New Balance a 43 is uk9 and sizes on the foot smaller than The same Mizuno.

It should be simple and standardised but its not.

And yes, a half to full size bigger is needed for your 'running' foot but your shoe size needs to be accurate first too. You might be surprised at how many people don't have the correct size in footwear.

That size is just the length. Which is standardised.

The fit and cushioning of the shoe would dictate how tight they are.

Advertisement