Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 hrs in Brisbane ?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    May be the wrong form but I'll try anyway

I have a six hour layover on a Saturday evening /night in Brisbane airport.

My bags will be cheeked through and all I will have is a backpack

Would it be worth my time heading into the city for a few hours

Is there any-place worth going, looking at, any bars worth visiting ?

Just don't fancy 6 hrs in the airport

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't remember the name of the train but there is one from the airport to the city centre. It's not a long journey, about 25 or 30 mins, so you could go into the city and get your dinner and a bit of walk around within your 6hr time frame.

As for what's open or what exactly to do I dunno. You could just go for a walk through the city, get something to eat on the South Bank, and relax in the heat!

http://www.airtrain.com.au/
    http://www.visitsouthbank.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I often visit here when on my way to or from the airport, probably more of a taxi ride though than train:
    http://m.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/food-wine/racecourse-rd/story-e6frer6f-1225759783689

If heading in to the city then can get out at Central Station and have a nice stroll down through the various parks (Anzac Sq, Post Office Square (?)) to the bars / restaurants on the riverfront like Jade Buddha and Sienna. Personally I don't like Southbank, because it's poor value, contrived as a tourist attraction, as well as being remote from the city. If you arrive in daylight then the botanical gardens are worth a look in my opinion. They are nearby to the bars / restaurants on the riverfront. A good nightclub on the riverfront is Fridays. For more of a backpacker feel try Pig and Whistle on Eagle St or Down Under bar near central station.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Just be mindful that the Airtrain does not run all night. Just thought I'd mention this as you said it would be night time by the end of the stop over. (Costs $15.50 each way by the way..)

Are you connecting from international to domestic flight? If so, you'll be going to a different airport than the one you land at, but both are on the same train line, one stop after the other.

I tend to drink in the Exchange roof top bar, or the Pig n Whistle on Eagle Street as mentioned. I like these as they have decent smoking areas where you can drink, and the drink is not ridiculously over priced (Unlike some of the places mentioned in the previous post..).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thanks for the tips folks

My fligt arrives at 5.30pm and the next one departs at 11.30pm so I will consider grabing the train to the city for a few hours.

Advertisement