Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting Compulsory News and Talk Shows

• 07-01-2013 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Been listening to a lot of UK radio lately XFM, Capital FM, KISS and the like and noticed the length of their news bulletins. With 9/10 no sports update and 2 maybe 3 headlining stories and an entertainment story. My belief behind it is with all the stations in the UK providing news, sports, classical, pop, rock, and alternative music if you want a music station you turn on a MUSIC station and if you want a sports station you put on a SPORTS station news etc.

I mean here in Ireland I wouldn't listen to a community radio station for a national news bulletin and wouldn't listen to Phantom for classical music etc. I was just wondering would the BAI ever consider lifting the length of news bulletins to make them as short as possible for music stations and so on?

Capital for example is "The UK's Number 1 Hit Music Station" news bulletins usually a minute and a half with weather included, and the usually 3 ad breaks. Now a side from the ad breaks they do a great job in continuous music non stop, and even having made a comment about the ad breaks you'll often hear a liner in between the ads saying "The latest news and more hit music next!" which is perfect for the listener who is just about to flick over. Even their news bulletin is upbeat, to the point and lively and as I said in less then two minutes your back to music.

Also something I don't agree with it the way stations must have a talk show within their daily schedule. It can be very disconnecting for what the station is trying to deliver to their listeners. A station playing music all day then having a 2-4 hour talk show ruins the format if you ask me again in the UK the stations have specific licenses do serve different purposes.

In Ireland we have plenty of stations for music and more for talk and current affairs, some serious some not so serious. Should a station not be granted a license for a certain type of music/talk and stick to that?

I must say I don't mind the music shows that are driven through Irish it's a nice change and nice to see that our language hasn't died out...YET! Also gives me a chance to use some of that well learned Irish from secondary school to use. :rolleyes:

What is everyone else's opinion on this? :)

(Just for the record the stations mentioned above are just examples stick in your own stations where you see fit)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm not sure how Beat and iRadio fill their schedules without talk shows but other stations should take note.

Spin Southwest have a daily talk show from 12:45 to 2:45 and all I do (and a lot of others I know who are lucky to be able to) is flick over to RedFM or Beat, and sometimes stay there.

If you're promoting "The Most Music Station", two hours of waffle in the middle of the day doesn't look too good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

According to another post on here, the BAI has started to allow partial exemptions from the news/talk requirements. But I can't find it...

Realistically all the music licenced stations should be given a near total exemption, but I don't know if that'd ever be accepted by the BAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

I think that the UK news bulletins are far too short...

Beat used to have a talk show (I think) around '04/'05 with Niall from breakie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

MYOB wrote: »
    According to another post on here, the BAI has started to allow partial exemptions from the news/talk requirements. But I can't find it...

Realistically all the music licenced stations should be given a near total exemption, but I don't know if that'd ever be accepted by the BAI.

Saw this before, but I think it was just at weekends or something along those lines. I'm thinking for music stations something along the lines of Capital and XFM's bulletins full time weekdays and weekends. Although SPIN may become 12 SPIN hit's in a row if that happened. :p

Gavin as I've said up above I am completely for these short bulletins on a HIT music CHR station it's perfect as there is more or less a constant flow of music playing. In terms of the Global network they have LBC for "London's Biggest Conversation" current affairs all day everyday. If you want news/current affairs it's a button flick away.

Oh and if it is a massive news story stations will break the news, around the time of the London bombings Capital stopping all normal programming, all music in fact and just updated London with news as it flowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

marno21 wrote: »
    Spin Southwest have a daily talk show from 12:45 to 2:45 and all I do (and a lot of others I know who are lucky to be able to) is flick over to RedFM or Beat, and sometimes stay there.

Same here. I would listen to Spin1038 during lunch but the talk show puts me off so usually listen to 98 or 2fm instead.

Beat would be my station of choice in part due to its lack of talk shows only I'm too far away to get when working in Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement