Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

hefferboi wrote: »
    I have a soccer match tomorrow at 12. Don't know whether to miss the soccer or the first 20 mins of the big one.

playing over watching, every time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I have a soccer match tomorrow at 12. Don't know whether to miss the soccer or the first 20 mins of the big one.

Can't believe this is even a thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Have you got sky or anything that you could just watch it 20min behind and you would be nearly caught up after half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

event wrote: »
    playing over watching, every time

Usually that would be the case but I'm half injured as well and need a week or two off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Have you got sky or anything that you could just watch it 20min behind and you would be nearly caught up after half time

Ah its not the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ah its not the same though.

hmmm Is there wifi near this pitch yer playing at :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Usually that would be the case but I'm half injured as well and need a week or two off.

still, you support the team you play for firstly IMO

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Anyone else wide awake with excitement/nervousness?

No to be honest.

Yes it's still a fixture that I look out for, but as Liverpool are no longer direct rivals of ours, it's missing something.

United to win 4-1/4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

No to be honest.

Yes it's still a fixture that I look out for, but as Liverpool are no longer direct rivals of ours, it's missing something.

United to win 4-1/4-0.

Just can't agree with this. Hitting the pub with a few mates today. They are all Liverpool supporters. It's either going to be a great day or a day where I just have to sit there and be quiet! Whichever way it's gonna be a great laugh and hopefully 3 points to top it off!

Awake already and itching for if to start. May as well bugger off to the gym and kill an hour or 2

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    They ate all Liverpool supporters.

Utd fans now resorting to cannibalism.

Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

curry-muff wrote: »

You should be banned from doing either for calling it 'soccer'.
    Yeah, it's such a taboo name. Next thing you know and they'll be naming the forum soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Utd fans now resorting to cannibalism.

Ffs.

I had more of an image of zombies looking for brains tbh. :pac:

*I watched Paranorman last night.

Presumably Rodgers will start Suarez on his own rather than with Sturridge?

I hope that Fergie plays RVP and Chico rather than just RVP with (say) Kag in support.

I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Sterling. I'm sceptical about how good he actually is, so today should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Liverpool to win 1-0 & I've backed Suarez 1st goal on Betfair at 8.6 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No to be honest.

United to win 4-1/4-0.

Can't for the life of me see that happening.
    Utd to win by the odd goal maybe but it will be a close game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Astro at 12, match and maybe a few sociables whilst enjoying (if that us the right word) a good game.

Enjoy it lads, but remember it's not as big a deal as some of you will be treating it!

Don't get banned y'all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

today is the day the mancs get their ass handed to them on a plate, no forgiveness, no prisoners and no survivors...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Oh well, all I am going to say in this thread that doesn't get a warning or a ban is: may the best team win, even if it sucks as a Liverpool supporter like myself. Liverpool have been improving in recent weeks, though it doesn't mean to say that Man Utd are undefeatable, they aren't the Man Utd of a decade ago...thank goodness, though Liverpool really have to be up with their game today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

today is the day the mancs get their ass handed to them on a plate, no forgiveness, no prisoners and no survivors...

Only one team has been getting 'their ass handed to them' in recent years ;)

The home side are leading the league by 7 points and cruised into the Champions League knockout stages.

The away side are struggling in mid table and seem to be lurching from one disaster to the next.

One manager strides the game like a colossus, the other is a leading light in the sack race.

Games like this rarely pan out as they would if played on paper, but I just have a feeling that this one might, so I stand by my "United 4-1/4-0" prediction.

• Advertisement

One manager strides the game like a colossus, the other is a leading light in the sack race.

The dellusional has appeared bright and early in the morning...

Have you not noticed how the "colossus" has been losing the plot lately?

Attempted murder in recent weeks?

Ranting away in interviews?

The way some of the games are going this season I predict Liverpool to go 5-0 up by half time and Utd to score 6 in the second half. I wouldn't be surprised tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

First time in ages that I feel confident about beating united at ot. No butterflies or anything. Last time I was at ot we won 1-4. Just hope it's not the ref were talking about after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Luis Suarez has refused to take part in the pre match handshake incase he injures his goal scoring hand :pac:

* Joke*

Please don't ban me :D

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Luis Suarez has refused to take part in the pre match handshake incase he injures his goal scoring hand :pac:

* Joke*

Robin Van Persies 5 year old son has been arrested for attempted murder after kicking the ball at him in their back garden.;)

Caveman1 wrote: »

* Joke*

Yes, and ferguson has asked the referee to ensure there are no balls brought on to the pitch today given the recent use in the attempted murder of RVP

I'm just hoping for a good game. I've the utmost respect for Liverpool. What Shankly did in taking a small club and making them successful was incredible. It's similar to what Clough did at Forest. However, the sad fact and the backdrop to my 4-0 prediction is that Liverpool are no longer a big club. While United have kicked on and taken their rightful place at Europe's top table alongside their peers like Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich, the sad fact is that Liverpool have gone the way of clubs like Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest. It's now 23 years since Liverpool won the title and in my view they will never win the title again because of the way the game has gone. Abramovich/Abu Dhabi/Jack Walker style title buying won't be possible with the new FFP rules and without crazy investment, the club won't be able to bridge the gap. As a lover of these clashes, that saddens me to a degree, but the fact of the matter is that next season's clashes will be less relevant than this year's and so on and so on. Our kids will wonder how this game was ever deemed so important when they're picking out the title deciding "United/Arsenal, United/City and United/Chelsea" games in years to come. Here's to a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Sterling. I'm sceptical about how good he actually is, so today should be interesting.

The bibs theory from training suggests Sterling mightn't start.

Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Gerrard, Suarez, and Downing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im just hoping for an action filled game, theres nothing worse than a boring UTD/Pool match.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I'm just hoping for a good game. I've the utmost respect for Liverpool. What Shankly did in taking a small club and making them successful was incredible. It's similar to what Clough did at Forest. However, the sad fact and the backdrop to my 4-0 prediction is that Liverpool are no longer a big club. While United have kicked on and taken their rightful place at Europe's top table alongside their peers like Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich, the sad fact is that Liverpool have gone the way of clubs like Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest. It's now 23 years since Liverpool won the title and in my view they will never win the title again because of the way the game has gone. Abramovich/Abu Dhabi/Jack Walker style title buying won't be possible with the new FFP rules and without crazy investment, the club won't be able to bridge the gap. As a lover of these clashes, that saddens me to a degree, but the fact of the matter is that next season's clashes will be less relevant than this year's and so on and so on. Our kids will wonder how this game was ever deemed so important when they're picking out the title deciding "United/Arsenal, United/City and United/Chelsea" games in years to come. Here's to a good game.

haha - not sure if you are being serious or just trolling

you think united will win 4-0, did you forget liverpool outplayed your team with 10 men at anfield - these games are always tight and tense unless there is a refereeing intervention, all your players, scholes, giggs, ferdinand and your manager completely disagree with your view by the way and think this is their biggest clash

as for the european top table stuff, come back to me when you have 5 of them

as for predicting the future, it's usually only the sky generation tabloid junkie, "the last 5 minutes is football history" casual fans who say stuff like x,y or z will never win anything/never qualify/never score etc etc and they are always proved wrong because the beauty of the game is its unpredictability

finally you know nothing about the ramifications of ffp - first of all we don't know how it will be enforced and second of all the whole point of it is to close the gap between the sugardaddies and the rest and with liverpool having some of the best kids around at the moment, if it is in any way enforced then all the better for lfc

not sure why I responded to the post seriously but I am bored waiting for the game, may the best team win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

donfers wrote: »

haha - not sure if you are being serious or just trolling

you think united will win 4-0, did you forget liverpool outplayed your team with 10 men at anfield - these games are always tight and tense unless there is a refereeing intervention, all your players, scholes, giggs, ferdinand and your manager completely disagree with your view by the way and think this is their biggest clash

as for the european top table stuff, come back to me when you have 5 of them

as for predicting the future, it's usually only the sky generation tabloid junkie, "the last 5 minutes is football history" casual fans who say stuff like x,y or z will never win anything/never qualify/never score etc etc and they are always proved wrong because the beauty of the game is its unpredictability

finally you know nothing about the ramifications of ffp - first of all we don't know how it will be enforced and second of all the whole point of it is to close the gap between the sugardaddies and the rest and with liverpool having some of the best kids around at the moment, if it is in any way enforced then all the better for lfc

not sure why I responded to the post seriously but I am bored waiting for the game, may the best team win
    Are you saying that Liverpool are currently a bigger force in Europe than United because you've won it 5 times? Lol.
    Also Liverpool didn't outplay United with 10 men. They had some success around midfield without really making any clear cut chances until the last 10 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

New statue unveiled today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just feel uneasy about how some United fans put down Liverpool as a club at the present time. Liverpool have a rich history and even though they have not won the league in such a long time they are still big club. Bigger then Man City and Chelsea and will be for some time too.

United fans seem to forget that we did not win league for 26 years between 1967 and 1993. We were still big club then. Liverpool are big club now. If they get relegated they will still be big club.

You cant buy history and Liverpool have history although I do smirk when they tell us to come back when you won it 5 times(this post had to have one little smirk;))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I just feel uneasy about how some United fans put down Liverpool as a club at the present time. Liverpool have a rich history and even though they have not won the league in such a long time they are still big club. Bigger then Man City and Chelsea and will be for some time too.

United fans seem to forget that we did not win league for 26 years between 1967 and 1993. We were still big club then. Liverpool are big club now. If they get relegated they will still be big club.

You cant buy history and Liverpool have history although I do smirk when they tell us to come back when you won it 5 times(this post had to have one little smirk;))

Finally a man that speaks sense.

sfwcork wrote: »
    Finally a man that speaks sense.

Its pity more dont agree with you:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Felexicon wrote: »

Love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, somebody saying Shankly is comparable to Clough and Forest is nonsense, Liverpool were a big club then, just a sleeping giant, not comparable to Forest at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sorry, but Liverpool weren't really a "big club" until Shankly brought them up.

And one of the obvious implications of FFP is that it will prevent a team "coming from nowhere" as (say) City have done.

With no CL football for years, very little money, a relatively small stadium, FFP and a team in need of massive investment, I just cannot see how Liverpool can win the title in the next 20 - 30 years now that the sugar daddy option is off the table. That's not the analysis of a Sky Sports Generation Y'er...it's considered analysis.

And Ferguson actually said that he doesn't even know what league position Liverpool are in 'cause he only monitors City and Chelsea like a hawk (see today's Guardian).

:pac::pac:

Is it starting already:p.

Is that supposed to be Fergie on the left?

Go home sculpter, you're drunk.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but Liverpool were never a "big club" until Shankly brought them up.

And one of the obvious implications of FFP is that it will prevent a team "coming from nowhere" as (say) City have done.

With no CL football for years, very little money, a relatively small stadium, FFP and a team in need of massive investment, I just cannot see how Liverpool can win the title in the next 20 - 30 years now that the sugar daddy option is off the table. That's not the analysis of a Sky Sports Generation Y'er...it's considered analysis.

And Ferguson actually said that he doesn't even know what league position Liverpool are in 'cause he only monitors City and Chelsea like a hawk (see today's Guardian).

go back to 1990. If you were to tell a Liverpool fan or any fan that they would not win a league for at least 24 years or more people would laugh at you.

Football is funny game. A year can make a big difference never mind a decade or more. Just look at Ireland. OK not big internationally, but this time last year we had Euros to look forward to. Now we have lost all our good work and we are as low now as we were in the 60's.

You cant predict the future and that is no more true then in football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Sorry, but Liverpool were never a "big club" until Shankly brought them up.

Oh dear he then quotes a garbage tabloid paper. Taxiiiiiiii

K-9 wrote: »

Indeed, somebody saying Shankly is comparable to Clough and Forest is nonsense, Liverpool were a big club then, just a sleeping giant, not comparable to Forest at all.

They'd been in the Second Division for nigh on a decade.

My point is that I reckon that 30 years from now, we'll still be listening to Liverpool fans saying how big their club is despite the fact that they won't have won the title for nearly 60 years.

Blackpool and Preston were massive clubs in the mid 20th century.

I just think that the longer this goes on, the more impossible it becomes for Liverpool to win the title. Manchester United were always the biggest club in England, even during our 26 years of hurt. I'd see Liverpool being relegated in the near future as being more likely than them winning the title in the near future.

I echo everyone else who says "let's hope for a good game".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't remember Villa or Forest winning the Champions League in the last 10 years!

I can't believe I'm defending Liverpool but its the above sort of nonsense that just makes these match threads so much hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Best of luck to the Mods in here today! I won't envy your job if there are any contentious decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

They'd been in the Second Division for nigh on a decade.

My point is that I reckon that 30 years from now, we'll still be listening to Liverpool fans saying how big their club is despite the fact that they won't have won the title for nearly 60 years.

Blackpool and Preston were massive clubs in the mid 20th century.

I just think that the longer this goes on, the more impossible it becomes for Liverpool to win the title. Manchester United were always the biggest club in England, even during our 26 years of hurt. I'd see Liverpool being relegated in the near future as being more likely than them winning the title in the near future.

I echo everyone else who says "let's hope for a good game".
    Sorry, but Liverpool weren't really a "big club" until Shankly brought them up.

And it's Liverpool fans who people usually like to call deluded!! Jesus Christ!

go back to 1990. If you were to tell a Liverpool fan or any fan that they would not win a league for at least 24 years or more people would laugh at you.

Football is funny game. A year can make a big difference never mind a decade or more. Just look at Ireland. OK not big internationally, but this time last year we had Euros to look forward to. Now we have lost all our good work and we are as low now as we were in the 60's.

You cant predict the future and that is no more true then in football.

But you're ignoring the macros and the fact that club football is a business.

Comparing 1990 and now makes no sense at all. Michael Knighton nearly bought United for £10m. Now it's a £2b enterprise. That's a 200 fold increase. In 1993, Alan Shearer was the highest paid player in England on circa £300k per annum. Now there are players on 50 times that.

And now there's financial fair play. Back in 1990, for a relatively small outlay Jack Walker was able to "buy the Premiership". That can't be done now. Chelsea did it and City did it, but with gigantic (and irrational) outlays. But they and PSG should be the last.

Look at where Liverpool are now - They quite simply cannot compete and a benefactor can't bridge the gap. It's not ridiculous to analyse the macros and to conclude that they're Donald Ducked as far as competing at the very highest level goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Gonna go for 3-0 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Isn't all this history stuff off-topic? Thread title specifies Sun Jan 13th @13:30. Let's discuss that.

I'm going with my head and saying 3-1 United. I think Liverpool will keep it tight for the opening half-hour then concede. Will be very hard to get a result if United go ahead first.

Hope we end up with 22 players still on the pitch at the end and hopefully Suarez can play out of his skin because Liverpool really need him to, and even United fans couldn't fail to be impressed when he plays at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1900–01, 1905–06, 1921–22, 1922–23, 1946–47, were the league titles won prior to Shankly, "only 5 titles" I hear you cry - "clearly a small club then"! Except back in the old days the league was much more broad based affair and the list of league winners is quite diverse, in a way that started to disappear from the mid 50s onwards to the point we now can only imagine a handful of teams ever winning it again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement