Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Is it raining today?

Wet pitch = Sliding tackles = Red cards

Hopefully no red cards or contentious decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Nervous Nigel??? Mystic Meg more like...

Sorry, but Liverpool were never a "big club" until Shankly brought them up.

And one of the obvious implications of FFP is that it will prevent a team "coming from nowhere" as (say) City have done.

With no CL football for years, very little money, a relatively small stadium, FFP and a team in need of massive investment, I just cannot see how Liverpool can win the title in the next 20 - 30 years now that the sugar daddy option is off the table. That's not the analysis of a Sky Sports Generation Y'er...it's considered analysis.

And Ferguson actually said that he doesn't even know what league position Liverpool are in 'cause he only monitors City and Chelsea like a hawk (see today's Guardian).

A few years ago(2008-2009) Liverpool came 2nd with 86 points, a total that would have won the league on many an occasion.

The following season instead of pushing on the club sold £45m worth of players(including our best player imo, Alonso) and brought in £36m worth, a saving on almost £9m iirc. Hardly something a team hoping to push on and win a league is it?

By then the club was on it's knees and and nearly went into administration. That was only a few years ago. I think people forget that.

I'm not convinced about the owners(long term plans) completely but they have all but wiped the debt, cut the wages to a low level, agreed in principle to stay at Anfield(still tbc I think). With increased revenue from Tv and sponsership, LFC will be making some decent profit soon.

The goal for the club in the short term is Champions league football. It won't happen this season, but next season hopefully we can have a crack at getting top 4.

If a club is making profit and then qualifys for the CL, then obviously big name players will be on the cards again.

As Kew said, a lot can happen in a short time in football. Predicting a year ahead is tough, let alone in 20/30 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

My point is that I reckon that 30 years from now, we'll still be listening to Liverpool fans saying how big their club is despite the fact that they won't have won the title for nearly 60 years.

Can you give me next weeks Lotto numbers :rolleyes:

Can you give me next weeks Lotto numbers :rolleyes:

I'm entitled to my opinion.

It's based on economics rather than football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Really looking forward to this one, absolutely no way of calling it.

Here's to a fantastic game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They'd been in the Second Division for nigh on a decade.

My point is that I reckon that 30 years from now, we'll still be listening to Liverpool fans saying how big their club is despite the fact that they won't have won the title for nearly 60 years.

Blackpool and Preston were massive clubs in the mid 20th century.

I just think that the longer this goes on, the more impossible it becomes for Liverpool to win the title. Manchester United were always the biggest club in England, even during our 26 years of hurt. I'd see Liverpool being relegated in the near future as being more likely than them winning the title in the near future.

I echo everyone else who says "let's hope for a good game".

Yoi're funny. So United who hadn't won anything in a quarter of a century barring a few Cups were bigger than a Liverpool team who dominated English football and European football before that?

Yep, deluded.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Yoi're funny. So United who hadn't won anything in a quarter of a century barring a few Cups were bigger than a Liverpool team who dominated English football and European football before that?

Yep, deluded.

Size of club obviously isn't purely based on trophies.

In 1998, Forest had won twice as many European Cups as United. Were Forest a bigger club than United?

Manchester United have been the biggest club in England since the Second World War. That's why the whole "26 years thing" was so perverse.

I think that we should park this and focus on the game anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As a united fan I don't think I'd take 1-0 now , nah wouldn't be happy with that , we need to keep plugging away at extending that goal difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Is it raining today?

Wet pitch = Sliding tackles = Red cards

Hopefully no red cards or contentious decisions.
    If any pool players come off old trafford after 90 mins with no skin and blood traces on their studs I'll be deeply disappointed. No mercy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Size of club obviously isn't purely based on trophies.

In 1998, Forest had won twice as many European Cups as United. Were Forest a bigger club than United?

Manchester United have been the biggest club in England since the Second World War. That's why the whole "26 years thing" was so perverse.

I think that we should park this and focus on the game anyways.

It would be better for you all right. Forest and United! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Nigel hasn't a fücking clue.

Next....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If any pool players come off old trafford after 90 mins with no skin and blood traces on their studs I'll be deeply disappointed. No mercy...
    Nice... I think they have a history of doing that anyway so you probably won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

8-10 wrote: »
    Isn't all this history stuff off-topic? Thread title specifies Sun Jan 13th @13:30. Let's discuss that.

I'm going with my head and saying 3-1 United. I think Liverpool will keep it tight for the opening half-hour then concede. Will be very hard to get a result if United go ahead first.

Hope we end up with 22 players still on the pitch at the end and hopefully Suarez can play out of his skin because Liverpool really need him to, and even United fans couldn't fail to be impressed when he plays at his best.

Don't forget Utd have conceded first too many times this season. Liverpools defence is much better than most of the team Utd have gone on to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I just hope all the players go out there and have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Don't know how you're expecting that from modern day football....MMA forum is that-away>>>>!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't forget Utd have conceded first too many times this season. Liverpools defence is much better than most of the team Utd have gone on to beat.
    I think the worst thing Liverpool can do is score first.

I'd love it if Liverpool score in the first 20 minutes, god help ya if ya do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

If they play the way you want them to I highly doubt they'll all last the 90.

If Rodgers has any sense, he'll play for a draw.

Any attempt at taking United on will result in a hiding for Liverpool.

All the history/"big club" stuff aside, United are the champions elect and Liverpool are a club in crisis. When top plays mid table, there's usually only one result. That's not to say that there can't be a shock result today, but's it's more likely that United will stick four past Reina than us seeing a Liverpool win.

I hope we don't see any red cards, dodgy penos, dives or match deciding poor decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

As a united fan I don't think I'd take 1-0 now , nah wouldn't be happy with that , we need to keep plugging away at extending that goal difference

Good chance ye could score heavily today IMO, United are so far ahead of Liverpool in terms of quality and class in almost every area of the pitch.

The problem is this is a game Pool will definitely be up for so you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

14801_4315654369029_1385478025_n.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

This feels like one of the biggest build ups to a United v Pool match in a long time. Would be hilarious if we were entitled to a bore draw. Liverpool have been awful this season but if theres any mid table side capable of upping their game at OT its them. I'm going 2-2 where united should have one had they put away the countless chances they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

man u really should be winning this game and can have no excuses for not doing so

Good chance ye could score heavily today IMO, United are so far ahead of Liverpool in terms of quality and class in almost every area of the pitch.

The problem is this is a game they will definitely be up for so you never know.

Afternoon Blue Meanie.
    Your appraisal of Liverpools deficiencies are top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Club in crisis? bit over the top we are only 9 points away from 4th place.

ollie1 wrote: »
    Club in crisis? bit over the top we are only 9 points away from 4th place.

For A club with aspirations of finishing 2nd as Rodgers previously stated thats a crisis

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If Rodgers has any sense, he'll play for a draw.

Any attempt at taking United on will result in a hiding for Liverpool.

All the history/"big club" stuff aside, United are the champions elect and Liverpool are a club in crisis. When top plays mid table, there's usually only one result. That's not to say that there can't be a shock result today, but's it's more likely that United will stick four past Reina than us seeing a Liverpool win.

Cop on man, talk like that will only come back to bite you in the ass. Generally speaking these games can go either way and all form goes out the window. I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool get a result, not because they're a better team but because its just sometimes the way it goes. It works for both sides. I don't think Liverpool are going to sit down and let United do the double over them this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Over an hour before kick off and the thread is fcuked already.

I reckon it will be a close one today. 2-1 to whoever wins it.

Unsubscribes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

All the history/"big club" stuff aside, United are the champions elect

That's a tad bit presumptuous. Untied are top of the table for sure but it's only January. Favourites? Yeah, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I just hope all the players go out there and have fun.

Butters.gif

:)

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    For A club with aspirations of finishing 2nd as Rodgers previously stated thats a crisis

Oh come on i seriously doubt he was being serious when he said that. He has only been in charge for a short time but if you want to believe he was serious go ahead.

'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother' is the first song to be played at Old Trafford this afternoon. #LFC #MUFC

Fair play to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pfft.......Id take 1-0 all day long. Any sort of win and I will be delighted.
    Seriously, how can you be not happy with a win?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

By the end of the day a Google search of "Hypocrisy" will probably find this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm going 2-1 liverpool suarez and agger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Good point. I hope they do concede first again today! My point is I just think it might be too difficult if United score first.

The one thing I do know is that I hate watching this fixture. Even if Liverpool lead the game is never not uncomfortable. A lot of United fans I know would be the same. I'm actually very surprised Nigel is so confident about this one unless he's just on a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

3-0 United

RVP X2
    Chico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Judging by liverpools bench rodgers will be going all out, surprising to see borini there.

Confirmed Lfc Team

Reina, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Downing, Sterling, Suarez.

Subs: Jones, Henderson, Sturridge, Carragher, Borini, Shelvey, Robinson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ollie1 wrote: »
    Confirmed Lfc Team

Reina, Wisdom, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Downing, Sterling, Suarez.

Subs: Jones, Henderson, Sturridge, Carragher, Borini, Shelvey, Robinson.

100% as expected. Happy enough with that team.

Augmerson wrote: »

That's a tad bit presumptuous. Untied are top of the table for sure but it's only January. Favourites? Yeah, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

7 point lead with 51 points left to play for, City still to come to the Theatre of Dreams and away wins against City and Chelsea already in the can?

Of course Devon Loch scenarions can happen, but it would be incredible if United don't win the league.

Why do people think that Sterling won't play? Burned out? Too attacking? Be interesting to see how Allen does. Have always seen his signing as folly. Also, given all the hyperbole about Sahin, it's gas to see how little coverage has been given to him leaving Liverpool and England in what's basically abject failure. If Mourinho's willing to sell, caveat emptor...

Surprised to see Borini on the bench did not think he would be fit yet but otherwise very happy with that team :)

De Gea, Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Young, Carrick, Cleverley, Welbeck, Kagawa, van Persie.

I just saw this team up. Tell me it isn't the actual starting lineup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Cleverley, Carrick, Kagawa, Young, Welbeck, Van Persie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Welbeck. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Evans is injured so Rio & Vidic start .

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm actually very surprised Nigel is so confident about this one unless he's just on a wind up.

I'm genuinely not on a wind up. Historically, I agree more or less 100% with what people are saying about United vs Liverpool games. However, this time I genuinely believe that Rodgers' Liverpool are a very poor side and that there's an opportunity for United to humiliate them today. If I was a Liverpool fan, I would genuinely want to see the back of that guy. How such a club can go from courting guys like Mourinho and Louis Van Gaal to appointing Phil Brown Light is beyond me. As a United fan, I find it hilarious but as a football fan it disgusts me what has and is being done to that club. And the sad thing is that Liverpool fans don't seem to see that. They just think that people like me are on a wind up.

De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Cleverley, Carrick, Kagawa, Young, Welbeck, Van Persie

Wellbeck? FFS.

Slight lack of width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Welbeck and Cleverley to run the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Waiting for Dortmund kagawa to turn up, hopefully he shows what hes really capable of today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement