Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's worse than this post?...the fact someone else is stupid enough to agree.

are you honestly going to tell me that Liverpool have not exploited a weakness in the air and from set pieces over the past 5 years?

have a look back through the games. if you dont remember (and i do as i was at almost every one of them), ill refresh your mind for you. United concede more aerial and set piece goals to Liverpool, than any other team.

ill go through every liverpool goal in this time frame if you want me to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What's worse than this post?...the fact someone else is stupid enough to agree.

But anyway, take a look at Liverpool's goals against united over the past ten meetings or so, a lot of them have come from punts from defence.

That cannot be denied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Slattsy wrote: »
    I fancy Liverpool. I really do.
    Rooney out is a big loss as he does a lot of the donkey work and makes things happen for RVP.
    The midfield battle is crucial. I fancy Gerrard to run all over Carrick and Cleverly. He should be able to dominate them.
    Young on Wisdom will be a big battle.

Suarez will cause damage, but whether he has to do it all on his own will depend on how much support he has and hopefully he doesnt get too frustrated if decisions dont go his way (cough Webb cough). I cant see Sturridge starting as he's not fit.
    Sterling has ben quiet of late so hopefully he can up his game against Rafael.
    I promised I wouldn't comment here for the sniping but don't start about Webb FFS he is a ref that's all a ref..

He doesn't hold love for united or hate for the pool..

Sorry but WTF I wouldn't mind if game is riddled with bad calls but wait til game is over before starting blaming the ref at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Utd win, many Liverpool fans will blame the ref.

if Liverpool win, many Utd fans will probably blame the fact that it's "our cup final".

there'll be many more excuses besides depending on what happens.

it's just the way this shít goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Pools record against the top 10 this season has been atrocious, doing very well against weaker opposition but doesnt get much tougher than this, nothing really to suggest they've that much reason for hope here.

3-1 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I love watching Suarez purely for his comic entertainment value and the odd great goal.

ORLY :rolleyes:

You must not watch a lot of soccer ;)

Suarez-norwich.gif

suarezgif.gif

7872169622_ec1e5cc4d9_o.gif

Do you need any more examples ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

** MOD NOTE **

As you all are aware this game is one of the biggest in terms of fan rivalries that we deal with here on a regular basis.

I'm sure you're all aware of the Charter, if not take a look at it, as these threads have historically produced a massive amount of cards for various reasons.

There is nothing to suspect that this thread wont be the same as we've already had cards and its only Friday afternoon.

I'm just asking that you all relaise this is one of the most heavily moderated match threads we deal with and any breach of the charter will result in warnings and bans.

If you have a problem with anything in the thread report it, dont respond to abuse or WUM or you too could pick up a card.

Us Mods arent here to be Buzz Killington's but try keep it clean as its a very fine line between banter and abuse once you dont breach the charter you wont be carded, so if you do find yourself on the wrong of a card or ban you cant say you haven't been warned.

Just to add this - Gifs that only serve a purpose to inflame or drag a thread off topic or otherwise do not contribute to a thread will be removed, if it is considered that the only purpose of that gif was to further inflame an argument, then the poster may receive a warning for it. (ie Michael Jackson/Popcorn gif/pictures)

Also be aware that if you have picked up cards this season, a further card WILL result in a ban from the forum depending on how many previous cards you have picked up.

Mod Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Man Utd Vs ABU's --- We'll still win. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Thanking does not equal agreement. ;)

No, and I don't appreciate being called stupid for thanking it.

Anyway, I will go for a 4-2 United win. Loads of goals and loads of incidents hopefully.

Mars bar thought he pulled the longest straw but infact he drew the short one ;) good luck snickers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Interesting game & one the neutrals will enjoy....I reckon a 3-3 thriller! I am actually backing 2 away wins LFC & MCFC 10/1 with PaddyPower ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mars bar thought he pulled the longest straw but infact he drew the short one ;) good luck snickers :D

She

Melion wrote: »
    She

I know that!!! WUM;) waves at snickers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Will be close but I've a feeling Liverpool will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What I love about these threads is the fans trying to reverse jinx themselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've a suspicion that watching this thread unfold in all it's glory will be more entertaining than the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Is it fair to say that both teams fancy their talisman against the opposition defence i.e. Suarez & Van Persie. Will it just boil down to which of the two form players in the league have a better game?

For the neutral its always an extremely entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

But anyway, take a look at Liverpool's goals against united over the past ten meetings or so, a lot of them have come from punts from defence.

That cannot be denied

+1

Even their recent 3-0 win over Sunderland came from direct play from deep or the defence.There was no intricate passing to cut the opposition open.

Kinda puts the myth of Rogers tiki-taka style to bed.

Our weakness will be between Evans & Evra.Evans isn't the best in the air & Evra has a habit of leaving gaps either behind him or between himself & the centre halves which I'm sure Liverpool will try to exploit.A few well aimed long balls & you could have 2 defenders taken out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

With this game form goes out the window like all other big fixtures because all 22 players should be up for it . I honestly don't know if it will be a goal fest but it has alot of hall marks that indicate it could be one .
    Liverpool don't seem to like defending this season there have been alot of errors by our players that have cost us goals and lost us games . We really need to be on top form to win but like every game you always have a chance of winning no matter how slim the odds are .
    I can see us getting goals if we can get players like Sterling , Suarez and Gerrard into one on ones with the United defence . So I think Liverpool really need to get hold of the ball and make United run around after it to tire them out and then go for the kill . But we do need everybodies head in the game for this too work .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Utd score more set pieces than Liverpool.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

R Team Open Play Counter Attack Set Piece Penalty Own Goal
    1 Manchester United 32 0 17 2 3
    2 Swansea 27 2 2 0 0
    3 Everton 25 0 7 1 2
    4 Arsenal 25 4 5 3 3
    5 Tottenham 25 4 7 0 3
    6 Chelsea 23 3 8 5 0
    7 Liverpool 22 0 8 1 3
    8 Manchester City 22 3 11 4 1
    9 Newcastle United 20 1 3 2 1
    10 West Bromwich Albion 18 2 5 2 2
    11 Fulham 18 1 7 4 2
    12 Southampton 16 1 6 2 2
    13 West Ham 15 0 5 3 1
    14 Wigan 13 2 6 1 0
    15 Norwich 12 0 12 0 0
    16 Reading 12 0 8 2 1
    17 Queens Park Rangers 11 0 5 0 1
    18 Aston Villa 11 2 3 1 0
    19 Stoke 9 0 10 1 1
    20 Sunderland 9 2 9 0 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

zerks wrote: »
    +1

Even their recent 3-0 win over Sunderland came from direct play from deep or the defence.There was no intricate passing to cut the opposition open.

You're wrong there. To try and counteract the tika-taka style Sunderland tried to press us higher up the pitch, leaving space open in behind which was exploited.

5starpool wrote: »

Point? :confused:

setpiece does not equal longball.

million thanks for you though, from the rank and file.

well, not really.

the fact a few direct balls caught the opposition on the hop doesn't mean we're not trying to play football on the deck 90% of the time.

but sure, you knew that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Fancy 2-1 to United with Gerrard scoring first . 100/1 had to throw a 5er on it .

SlickRic wrote: »
    well, not really.

the fact a few direct balls caught the opposition on the hop doesn't mean we're not trying to play football on the deck 90% of the time.

but sure, you knew that ;)

yeah but, Liverpool don't really score many goals during that 90% of possession based football, do they?

How many games this season have Liverpool won on the possession stats, but not won on the stat that matters?

• Advertisement

Point? :confused:

setpiece does not equal longball.

million thanks for you though, from the rank and file.

My point is that that particular poster cries foul whenever Liverpool score a set piece and says that utd rarely score them, so his perception may be a little tainted.

You know all that though.

yeah but, Liverpool don't really score many goals during that 90% of possession based football, do they?

no, not enough.

did i argue that?
    How many games this season have Liverpool won on the possession stats, but not won on the stat that matters?

lots.

obviously, hence we're fúcking 8th.

My point is that that particular poster cries foul whenever Liverpool score a set piece and says that utd rarely score them, so his perception may be a little tainted.

Nope, he cried foul when Liverpool score direct longball goals.

Not that he should, a goal is a goal after all.

However it's scored. Longball, handball, whatever. As you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

This season has to be way above what it was at the same time the last two seasons say. Its really down to RVP & Rooney putting in some peaches of balls into the box from corners and also the same two are scoring from free kicks which we weren't doing enough of in previous seasons. I'd say last year we'd be a good bit further down that list.

Really surprised we haven't scored a goal on the counter. It used to be one of the areas we were most dangerous in.

Edit: Actually just checked and we have scored 6 more this season from set pieces than the whole of 09/10 & 10/11 and just one behind last seasons total.

Either way, if utd are susceptible to long balls, I hope we pepper them with long ball and score a few goals.

• Advertisement

yesno1234 wrote: »
    You're wrong there. To try and counteract the tika-taka style Sunderland tried to press us higher up the pitch, leaving space open in behind which was exploited.

Yes but the goals did come from long balls,you can't argue with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

This thread is a disaster already, whodathunkit

Did I mention set pieces? No.

When did I cry foul of Liverpool scoring from set pieces (unless it's by cheating;) :D )

The main gripe I have is United seemingly incapable of defending against a high ball lumped upfield-That's basic defending.
    Liverpool have benefited greatly from this in matches against us in the last few seasons.

Is there a difference between a longball and a hollywood pass :confused:

surprise surprise, United also score more goals than anybody else.

do you have a long ball/hoof ball table there while you are at it?

three of the four goals that liverpool scored against us last year were from the aerial/hoofball route, one of them from a goal kick, one of them from a corner and one of them from a free kick in the center circle that had snow on it when it came down.

You said the tika taka style is a myth, how is this reply relevant:confused:. It makes no difference whether the goals came after 200 passes and 4 minutes of possession or one long ball in behind, it's because of the style that Sunderland pressed us high up the pitch to try cut off suply, that left space in behind, which with intelligent running off the ball, is exploitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Like Van Persies vs West Ham?

Long ball and long pass, as in the above and Suarez Gerrard vs Sunderland are very different things

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Like Van Persies vs West Ham?

Exactly like that one. Well done.

i honestly cant believe that liverpool fans deny that over the past five years, they have scored alot of goals against United through an aerial route.

its not even up for debate, its simple fact.

Proof below he counts set pieces in his hoofball stats.
    Did I mention set pieces? No.

When did I cry foul of Liverpool scoring from set pieces (unless it's by cheating;) :D )

The main gripe I have is United seemingly incapable of defending against a high ball lumped upfield-That's basic defending.
    Liverpool have benefited greatly from this in matches against us in the last few seasons.
    Not talking about you. See below.
    surprise surprise, United also score more goals than anybody else.

do you have a long ball/hoof ball table there while you are at it?

three of the four goals that liverpool scored against us last year were from the aerial/hoofball route, one of them from a goal kick, one of them from a corner and one of them from a free kick in the center circle that had snow on it when it came down.

There we go. Corner being counted as a hoofball goal. You called the goal Suarez scored against Newcastle a hoofball goal. You are not qualified to judge things in that light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

A draw, containing a penalty and an early exit through injury from the game for van Persie.

i honestly cant believe that liverpool fans deny that over the past five years, they have scored alot of goals against United through an aerial route.

I honestly cant believe that United fans think that it's relevant that Liverpool have scored alot of goals against United through an aerial route over the past 5 years.

Yes i remember in the 1-4 2/3 or the goals came from direct balls, exploiting weaknesses Vidics slow turning speed, evras lack of hight.

I cant remember most of the goals tbh, i think looking back over the fixture alot of goals are scored from set pieces from both sides (O'Shea, Ferdinand, Carra :)) or from direct balls (through mistakes as seen above) as it is generally quite a tight game.

I remember going to a Liverpool United game when David James was at his computer playing best, three set pieces three goals : Liverpool 1 Manchester United 3

Is there a difference between a longball and a hollywood pass :confused:

You must remember that Gerard NEVER plays a long ball.........they are called Hollywood passes.

What I meant in my posts was the fact Liverpool are more of a threat when they play a more direct game.Another poster also pointed that out,they could play the ball around all day & get beaten 1-0.I've seen the aftermath of matches where this happened & the cries of some posters to get Rogers out.

As I said before,United are weak at defending against this,I've just seen examples on SSN as they preview the game.One example was Torres running onto a long ball & scoring.This has happened far too often for my liking-I hope Liverpool decide to play the possesion game on Sunday & United win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It's legitimate to exploit a weakness, isn't it? If the above is true then Liverpool must have identified a defensive frailty and successfully exposed it.

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I honestly cant believe that United fans think that it's relevant that Liverpool have scored alot of goals against United through an aerial route over the past 5 years.

of course its relevant when it keeps happening. If united can defend long balls/aerial ball, we have a huge chance of winning the game normally.

we have a weakness this season from crosses/high ball, its f*cking as clear as day and Liverpool are the one team who have been making us look poor at defending these over the past 5 years, even when our defence was stronger. it can happen again Sunday and this is why its important, as liverpool are the masters at this type of football and fair play to them.

from a United point of view, its a huge concern and really relevent.

As I said before,United are weak at defending against this,I've just seen examples on SSN as they preview the game.One example was Torres running onto a long ball & scoring.This has happened far too often for my liking-I hope Liverpool decide to play the possesion game on Sunday & United win.

Torres is better at a direct game to be honest as it enhances his strengths and exposed Vidics lack of pace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I wonder if Ferguson will spare Vidic a potentially awkward encounter trying to mark Suarez?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Torres is better at a direct game to be honest as it enhances his strengths and exposed Vidics lack of pace

Not any more:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So Liverpool should look at other routes to score goals rather than exploit the weakness in the ManU defences?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement