Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

of course its relevant when it keeps happening. If united can defend long balls/aerial ball, we have a huge chance of winning the game normally.

we have a weakness this season from crosses/high ball, its f*cking as clear as day and Liverpool are the one team who have been making us look poor at defending these over the past 5 years, even when our defence was stronger. it can happen again Sunday and this is why its important, as liverpool are the masters at this type of football and fair play to them.

from a United point of view, its a huge concern and really relevent.

I agree and feel the same about Manchester United being at their best on the counter attack, something which we have a weakness in defending.

If Liverpool can defend against Manchester Uniteds quick breaks they greatly enhance their chances of winning the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

yesno1234 wrote: »

I honestly cant believe that United fans think that it's relevant that Liverpool have scored alot of goals against United through an aerial route over the past 5 years.

Why not? The original point made was that if Liverpool put long balls into the box, like they have tended to do in this fixture, they could cause United problems:

not really on both accounts.

United are extremely vulnerable in the air and i think Liverpools long ball style from the back is well suited to exploit this, as they have done practically in every game over the past 5 years between the sides.

if Liverpool ping long balls into the box as they always tend to do in these games, they can win it.

zerks wrote: »
    Not any more:pac:

In fairness he still is better, hes just not very good at it now as opposed to chocking in a passing game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rumour has it that Liverpool are bringing back Kuyt on loan just for this game.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mitosis wrote: »
    It's legitimate to exploit a weakness, isn't it? If the above is true then Liverpool must have identified a defensive frailty and successfully exposed it.

exactly and this is why United fans are concerned. West Ham last week who are a similar team to Liverpool in terms of ability caused us huge problems with diagonal ball into the box and were seconds away from beating us. Same goes for Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Why not? The original point made was that if Liverpool put long balls into the box, like they have tended to do in this fixture, they could cause United problems:

The original point is still wrong. We rarely pinged long balls into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

ITT-Pat wrote: »

Because it was with entirely different managers, with a hugely different system in place and most importantly different players. Suarez is the only one of the front three, barring the unlikely Sturridge starting, who would have a chance in the air against the United the defence, even if they are weak in the air.

Also this was the original point not that Liverpool could exploit the United aerial frailty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

But against United, when you do, you score.

When Joe Allen faffs about with it in the midfield, you don't score.

But against United, when you do, you score.

When Joe Allen faffs about with it in the midfield, you don't score.

When was the last time we scored against United with a long ball into the box?

exactly and this is why United fans are concerned. West Ham last week who are a similar team to Liverpool in terms of ability caused us huge problems with diagonal ball into the box and were seconds away from beating us. Same goes for Southampton.

If this isn't seen as trolling I don't know what is.

• Advertisement

But Manchester United play more long balls than Liverpool http://www.eplindex.com/23427/set-plays-corners-long-balls-newcastle-premier-league.html

Also interesting to note the gap between Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Man City and Wigan to the rest of the league

naughtb4 wrote: »

Again, this is irrelevent.

The point being made is that when Liverpool play longball, at which they are quite adept, against Man United, they are more likely to score than if they bounce the ball around the midfield for 65% of the match.

I don't know why Liverpool fans are getting so het up about that fact.

When was the last time we scored against United with a long ball into the box?

as already stated, of the 4 goals you scored last 3 games, one came from Reina, one an Adam free kick at half way and one from a well driven corner. so of the last 3 games you have played, 75% of the goals have been from aerial route, 50% of them from long ball.
    yesno1234 wrote: »
    If this isn't seen as trolling I don't know what is.

eh??? did you not see the game last week? West Ham, who have four points less than Liverpool with a game in hand, caused us huge problems. Southampton also scored two headers like this...we were lucky to get something out of both games. Reading also scored 3 times from this route, Norwich also..so its a real concern.

i dont see why Liverpool fans are getting so defensive, this is more about united than anything else and our very very limited ability to defend basic ball.

maybe the liverpool fans should watch a quick summary of the goals we have conceded this season, then watch the last 10 games we have played against Liverpool and you will see why we are worried.

if i was brendan rodgers, id be setting the team up to ping diagonal balls into the box as its worked really really well for alot of teams this season.

It almost work for Allardyce last weekend, he knew where to get at United and it caused huge problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Heres a Selection of goals we have scored against united over the last few years . They include a mixture of long balls , free kicks and some slick passing .

Gerrard PL

Suarez PL

Agger + Kuyt FA Cup

Gerrard PL

Kuyt PL

as already stated, of the 4 goals you scored last 3 games, one came from Reina, one an Adam free kick at half way and one from a well driven corner. so of the last 3 games you have played, 75% of the goals have been from aerial route, 50% of them from long ball.

Kuyts goal in the FA cup wasn't a long ball into the box. Didn't realise corners now constitute a long ball into the box.

eh??? did you not see the game last week? West Ham, who have four points less than Liverpool with a game in hand, caused us huge problems. Southampton also scored two headers like this...we were lucky to get something out of both games. Reading also scored 3 times from this route, Norwich also..so its a real concern.

i dont see why Liverpool fans are getting so defensive, this is more about united than anything else and our very very limited ability to defend basic ball.

maybe the liverpool fans should watch a quick summary of the goals we have conceded this season, then watch the last 10 games we have played against Liverpool and you will see why we are worried.

if i was brendan rodgers, id be setting the team up to ping diagonal balls into the box as its worked really really well for alot of teams this season.

It almost work for Allardyce last weekend, he knew where to get at United and it caused huge problems.

So on one match they both have the same ability as Liverpool:pac: So two teams that are just promoted have the same ability as Liverpool who have not finished below 8th position in the premier league in 50 years.

Once again so you expect Downing, Sterling and Suarez to win a lot of aerial ball against the United defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

gimmick wrote: »
    So Liverpool should look at other routes to score goals rather than exploit the weakness in the ManU defences?

Who are ManU?

Is this Pro Evo 3 again? Bring me Gills, Vernon, Neil Lemon. Merseyside Reds

Sorry but saying 'ManU' is extremely irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Paddy power doing a special offering utd at 6/4 this is incredible value

Again, this is irrelevent.

The point being made is that when Liverpool play longball, at which they are quite adept, against Man United, they are more likely to score than if they bounce the ball around the midfield for 65% of the match.

I don't know why Liverpool fans are getting so het up about that fact.

To be honest i don't think its an exclusivly Liverpool thing, possession is overrated, Arsenal have the same critiscm placed on them

Indeed Uniteds own team with Ronaldo, Rooney Tevez was the best United team iv seen and were very direct. Germany 2010 are another.

I think limiting to Liverpool is a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LUMP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

is direct football an horrendous thing if it works?

if it works against United, do a bit more of it.

whatever works.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Who are ManU?

Noted. Must used ManU more often in future.

;)

Also for the record I think Suarez will destroy Vidic if he plays, Vidic is just back from injury and is playing at a much slower pace. Evans and Rio please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Who are ManU?

Ruud Von Mistleroum.
    Edwin Farzel Haar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't think Liverpool have the players for it on Sunday though. The front three will more than likely be three of Suarez, Sterling, Downing and Sturridge. None are known for their aerial ability. Even their midfielders, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Lucas, would not worry me in the air. Agger and Skrtel will be a worry from free kicks and corners alright, but in general play I don't think we'll have to worry about the long ball. It would be pointless as they'd be giving the ball straight back to us, they don't have Carroll this time.

Great price, cant seem to get it though

SlickRic wrote: »
    is direct football an horrendous thing if it works?

if it works against United, do a bit more of it.

whatever works.

United play a fairly direct game. Not long ball but there isn't much faffing around. No shame in that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Link? I can't find that special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who are ManU?

ManU or Man Utd are general abbreviations accepted for the football team that is Manchester United. I would have said Manyoo, but that would only be seen as trolling.

• Advertisement

Who are ManU?

Do you write to complain to Sky every time they show United :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That special will be up for a limited amount of time and only a limited amount can be bet on it I imagine. Been the case in the past on numerous occasions.

They include a mixture of long balls , free kicks and some slick passing .

:confused::confused::confused::confused: where? not one goal came from decent slick passing. everything was basic basic defending which United failed to do.

the only decent goal from a United point of view, was Gerrads goal in September, but even at that Ferdinand should have cleared the initial ball into the box.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

gimmick wrote: »
    ManU or Man Utd are general abbreviations accepted for the football team that is Manchester United. I would have said Manyoo, but that would only be seen as trolling.

.. and get called an ABU in the process :pac:

___

United will win 3-1 I reckon.

I'd be seriously skeptical of Liverpool keeping a cleansheet against ManU.

Hoping Sturridge comes on for the last 30 mins and that Liverpool are still in the game at that stage. Himself and Suarez together could stretch their defense in the latter stages.

I'd be hopeful Suarez can score against the worst defense in the top half of the league.

The other end of the pitch is a different story..

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    .. and get called an ABU in the process :pac:

___

United will win 3-1 I reckon.

Yeah hate to say it but an see it being pretty comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If Liverpool are going to beat ManU, then Suarez will be the man to do it. He will be problematic for that ManU defense, hopefully scores and gets me some money (and we win)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The ManU defence is dogdy, we need to get at them.
    ManU rely on the brilliance of RVP, as we do with Suarez. Keeping him on a tight leash will decide the game. Not many goals in the ManU midfield really. ManU may get a goal from a set-piece as the ManU defenders are decent at popping up with a goal.
    I still believe we can beat ManU, regadless of ManU being at home.

Our year.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    But Manchester United play more long balls than Liverpool http://www.eplindex.com/23427/set-plays-corners-long-balls-newcastle-premier-league.html

Also interesting to note the gap between Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Man City and Wigan to the rest of the league

Note the accuracy stat. Long passes do not = hoofball.

Newcastle, statistically the most hoofed ball team in the league, Feeding Ba and Cisse directly no doubt.

Slattsy wrote: »
    ManU rely on the brilliance of RVP, as we do with Suarez. Keeping him on a tight leash will decide the game. Not many goals in the ManU midfield really. ManU may get a goal from a set-piece as the ManU defenders are decent at popping up with a goal.

Our year.

United are not as reliant on Robin, lol, as Liverpool are on Suarez. he is our focal point but we have plenty of others like Rooney, Hernandez, Kagawa, Welbeck, Nani etc who can pop up with a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Manchester United's 'dodgy' defence has conceded two more goals than Liverpool's defence in the league this season, but Man Utd have scored 20 more goals this season...

• Advertisement

Owen_S wrote: »
    Manchester United's 'dodgy' defence has conceded two more goals than Liverpool's defence in the league this season, but Man Utd have scored 20 more goals this season...

TBF, Liverpool are mid-table, United are top. It's fair to suggest that United have a relatively dodgy defence.

ManU 4
    Liverpool 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Nobody is claiming Liverpool are better defensively than ManU, just that ManU's defense is susceptible to long/aerial balls and is poor for a team at the top of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

henderson and suarez to score. liverpool win 2-0. lucas man of match, completely stopping any feed to van persie apart from the odd hoofball, which of course we know hes very good at taking advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Slattsy wrote: »

Our year.

As a United fan I'd like to think if my team were ever in the position in the league Liverpool find themselves I'd be trying to forget the year. This is why some United fans claim it's Liverpool's "cup final" btw when a fan can post "Our year" in a year where the best the can achieve is to beat United. (Of course not all fans of any team are the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Hoping United win by 3 or more goals comfortably. No messing around, no excuses or controversy. (Will take some for entertainment value tho :))

Just to totally outclass and demolish Liverpool would be delightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

5starpool wrote: »
    Link? I can't find that special.

It's in the shops January sale special

ShooterSF wrote: »
    As a United fan I'd like to think if my team were ever in the position in the league Liverpool find themselves I'd be trying to forget the year. This is why some United fans claim it's Liverpool's "cup final" btw when a fan can post "Our year" in a year where the best the can achieve is to beat United. (Of course not all fans of any team are the same)

LOL, think you missed the point there. The "our year" comment is a pisstake.

It's in the shops January sale special

What's the max bet do you know?

Liverpool are 8th and ManU are top, 21 points ahead. Hence why people are questioning Liverpool having a better (if only slighty) defence.

It's also one of Liverpool's worst seasons in decades.

Btw, Liverpool's defence is shakey as hell this season. I'd be shocked if ManU score less than 2 goals tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement