Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

On paper there is only one winner. But this is Liverpools cup final so who knows.

Top of the league side faces mid table club should only have one winner but its football so anything can happen.

Would be disappointed to drop any points because outside of Suarez, Liverpool are a poor side with many average or mediocre players.

So 2-1 Liverpool then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

On paper there is only one winner. But this is Liverpools cup final so who knows.

Top of the league side faces mid table club should only have one winner but its football so anything can happen.

Would be disappointed to drop any points because outside of Suarez, Liverpool are a poor side with many average or mediocre players.

So 2-1 Liverpool then

You're better than that

Melion wrote: »

You're better than that

Nah, not when mods of the Politics fourm are going for a cheap dig on the interwebz. Woof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nah, not when mods of the Politics fourm are going for a cheap dig on the interwebz. Woof!

Jaysus, you lost your sense of humour? I haven't taken anything posted on the thread too seriously, my post was meant in kind.

Anyway, the whole Man U thing as a slur has been debunked many times on this forum.

PS. Yep I mod 2 other fora on Boards, I use soccer to get away from all that stuff so do report any posts of mine you've a problem with.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How could Man U be considered a slur?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

What have I started :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

5starpool wrote: »

No clue. It's the abbreviated term that Sky use ffs.

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah just slagging, Man U is just an abbreviated term, bit like many say pool.

Chances are we'll have an endless debate over how this or that decision totally affected the game, its just the way of these things.

Pick on the new guy. I see how it is.

Awh I know only too well.

K-9 wrote: »

Jaysus, you lost your sense of humour? I haven't taken anything posted on the thread too seriously, my post was meant in kind.

Anyway, the whole Man U thing as a slur has been debunked many times on this forum.

PS. Yep I mod 2 other fora on Boards, I use soccer to get away from all that stuff so do report any posts of mine you've a problem with.

And I'm just continuing on the side-splitting.

Why would I report your posts? I'm just carrying on the shenanigans. People are taking this thread too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

this sound like a fun place what would turn up the heat lets see.i think roy keane was over rated and deserted his country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Timmyctc wrote: »

It's a fair point about Roy Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rossit wrote: »
    this sound like a fun place what would turn up the heat lets see.i think roy keane was over rated and deserted his country

Don't be stoking the fire and/or going off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

BASHIR wrote: »
    Looking forward to the game hopefully its not ruined by dodgey decisions.
    excuses in already.

It's not. It's just a pet hate typical to land out of Paul Mersons or Matt le Tissiers mouth. Nothing too serious though. Don't go ringing the red tops just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Good to see ya getting stuck in already Mars Bar. :P

4-2 United. RVP 2, Little Pea and Carrick. Suarez and Agger.

Gerard dived in the Champions League Final. If he's not ashamed to cheat on the biggest stage he's not afraid to cheat in a PL game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

IF it happens from either team the player will take the goal and be happy to have scored . I honestly don't think any player would tell the ref they scored that way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Gerard dived in the Champions League Final. If he's not ashamed to cheat on the biggest stage he's not afraid to cheat in a PL game.

And in big internationals too. The ones v Bolton and Sheff Utd are shocking :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

IF it happens from either team the player will take the goal and be happy to have scored . I honestly don't think any player would tell the ref they scored that way .

Unless you're Klose of course.

yabadabado wrote: »
    excuses in already.

No no just a devils advocate. It is going to be Howard web after all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Mars Bar wrote: »

True but I can't honestly see anybody being as honest as him though especially in this game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

soccer never was or will be a gentleman's game. unlike Golf or Snooker where a player owns up to fouls. well they should anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Suarez hatrick and 3-0 to Liverpool please! Unlikely but you never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm normally apprehensive about Liverpool at Old Trafford but I just can't see Brendan Rodgers being the mastermind behind a result. Suarez is a potent weapon and I can see him scoring on the day, but RVP has a terrific record against Liverpool - 5 goals in his last 6 games against them - and I can see him leading United to victory. My feeling is a 3-1 home win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mars Bar wrote: »

A factor in play in that was the introduction of retrospective bans in Italy.

syngindub wrote: »
    soccer never was or will be a gentleman's game. unlike Golf or Snooker where a player owns up to fouls. well they should anyway.

You can be punished and disqualified in golf afterwards if you don't call a foul on yourself, there is no after punishment in football plus you don't have 40,000 people roaring at you when your playing golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Savage that got us to 5 champs leagues, good man Stevie... some neck when yis have Messrs: nani, rooney and young in the team, classic!

mada999 wrote: »

Savage that got us to 5 champs leagues, good man Stevie... some neck when yis have Messrs: nani, rooney and young in the team, classic!

Que?

niallo27 wrote: »
    You can be punished and disqualified in golf afterwards if you don't call a foul on yourself, there is no after punishment in football plus you don't have 40,000 people roaring at you when your playing golf.

not talking about punishments, talking about calling fouls on yourself !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm normally apprehensive about Liverpool at Old Trafford but I just can't see Brendan Rodgers being the mastermind behind a result. Suarez is a potent weapon and I can see him scoring on the day, but RVP has a terrific record against Liverpool - 5 goals in his last 6 games against them - and I can see him leading United to victory. My feeling is a 3-1 home win.

Neither can I. He's done very little since he invented the pass.

syngindub wrote: »
    not talking about punishments, talking about calling fouls on yourself !!

Yes I'm saying if golfers don't call a foul on themselves they can be disqualified afterwards instead of a 2 shot pen at the time. I agree it's a much more honest sport but maybe if there could be punishment in football for players that cheated after the game is over it might clean up the game.

Paully D wrote: »
    Neither can I. He's done very little since he invented the pass.

I don't think you need to be a mastermind to win at old trafford, you just need to play well and get lucky that utd miss a few chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Off to sleep, 10 am flight to Manchester. First game this season, praying for 3 points!

Come on United, and come on Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Don't think that any player is ashamed to cheat tbh

Yes I'm saying if golfers don't call a foul on themselves they can be disqualified afterwards instead of a 2 shot pen at the time. I agree it's a much more honest sport but maybe if there could be punishment in football for players that cheated after the game is over it might clean up the game.
    It's a tough one alright and sometimes not black and white like it appears to be in other sports. FIFA took their time with goal line technology. i doubt blatant rule cheating punishment will be high on platini's list for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

First time heading over to OT just got tickets sorted there this week.cannot wait!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

This is a massive game for Liverpool. A win here could put some real wind in their sails in a push for 4th with a very winnable home fixture against Norwich coming up next then 3 more big games against City, Arsenal and WBA.

Still though, have to fancy a United win.

Essien wrote: »
    This is a massive game for Liverpool. A win here could put some real wind in their sails in a push for 4th with a very winnable home fixture against Norwich coming up next then 3 more big games against City, Arsenal and WBA.

A draw would be a great result, I just can't see utd not winning this game myself. The only thing is there is not much expectation on this liverpool side heading up there and all the pressure is on utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

I fully expect united to win, if we got something out of this game id be amazed tbh. 2-0 united id reckon, im morelooking forward to the arsenal and city games as gettable points tbh

• Advertisement

A draw would be a great result, I just can't see utd not winning this game myself. The only thing is there is not much expectation on this liverpool side heading up there and all the pressure is on utd.

I wouldn't worry too much about expectation and pressure if I was a United fan. If there's one thing Fergie is great at, it's getting his players in the right frame of mind. He'll respect Liverpool here and the United players will have feet firmly on the ground.

Essien wrote: »

Don't think they have a chance of 4th ,no matter how this game goes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

yabadabado wrote: »
    Don't think they have a chance of 4th ,no matter how this game goes.

I'd like to disagree, but I can't. In 4 games time Liverpool could conceivably be 12 or so points off 4th, if not more. It would take an extraordinary run of results to get Liverpool to 4th this season.

I'd like to disagree, but I can't. In 4 games time Liverpool could conceivably be 12 or so points off 4th, if not more. It would take an extraordinary run of results to get Liverpool to 4th this season.
    Liverpool would need an extraordinary run and hope a few teams above them hit a major slump,cant see that happening.

Yep, I wouldn't put money on it but I was just pointing out that the opportunity is there, though it would take a massive effort. I do think 4th will be very tight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Can see something like 8-2 like United did against Arsenal. These games are usually tight but I really think Liverpool are in for a thumping.I think this will be the result to completely crush Liverpool. United will be well up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jeeaayyussss!!!!!!!

I'll leave this til Sunday at least!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

darced wrote: »

He's scored 3 in the last two games against us.

Poor form indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement