Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Just don't know how to call this...heart says pool, and part of my head...but future martin is screaming at me to not get my hopes up...

0-0 draw in favour of LFC

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

doesnt matter how well he plays in fairness. it's about how often he puts the ball in the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

3 - 1 to Liverpool

Humungous D to get a hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

3-2 united
    United cruising the majority of the game with liverpool to get a late 2nd goal making it a nervy finish

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

United to click and win 4-0.

Yes it's a game where form and quality can go out the window, but sometimes games do pan out just as they would if played on paper.

United have a seven point lead, the stronger team, the stronger squad, the best player in the league and a place at Europe's top table in a month's time. Liverpool on the other hand are seemingly lurching from one disaster to the next and are severely lacking in quality.

Can Liverpool win? Of course they can. Sure look at Blackburn last season. Will Liverpool win? No. In my view, they'll be hammered.

Let's hope for a good game with no ridiculous Suarez type controversies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

United to click and win 4-0.

Yes it's a game where form and quality can go out the window, but sometimes games do pan out just as they would if played on paper.

United have a seven point lead, the stronger team, the stronger squad, the best player in the league and a place at Europe's top table in a month's time. Liverpool on the other hand are seemingly lurching from one disaster to the next and are severely lacking in quality.

Can Liverpool win? Of course they can. Sure look at Blackburn last season. Will Liverpool win? No. In my view, they'll be hammered.

Let's hope for a good game with no ridiculous Suarez type controversies.

They're only ridiculous Suarez controversies because the rags turn everything he does into a controversy. Sells papers.

They're only ridiculous Suarez controversies because the rags turn everything he does into a controversy. Sells papers.

I'd just like to see headlines like "King of the World" with a picture of RVP rather than "Football's Shame" and a picture of Luis Suarez.

There's no doubt that the tabloids fan the flames, but there's also no doubt that Suarez brings it on himself.

I'll be interested to see how Sterling gets on if selected/fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'd just like to see headlines like "King of the World" with a picture of RVP rather than "Football's Shame" and a picture of Luis Suarez.

There's no doubt that the tabloids fan the flames, but there's also no doubt that Suarez brings it on himself.

I'll be interested to see how Sterling gets on if selected/fit.

I wonder if Utd win by a single goal,scored from the penalty spot after a blatant Ashley Young dive would the headline be "Footballs Shame"?

I have my doubts.

If it happens the other end it will.

It's just boring and obvious at this stage.

Sterling hasn't been great lately but he can definitely cause Evra or De Silva problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Very interesting stat, IMO.
    michael shields ‏@michaelshields0
    Liverpool + united have played same amount of games this season but united have played 14 more minutes , says it all about taggart

Liverpool + united have played same amount of games this season but united have played 14 more minutes , says it all about taggart

Given that United score more goals (thus generating more added time) and play against teams that adopt delaying tactics 'cause they're scared, that's not surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Michael Shields?

How does he have access to twitter in jail?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Can't wait for this one. I have a good feeling about it. can't see united defence handling Luis. If we keep solid at the back we can do it. Midfield holding roll will be crucial. 2-1 pool.

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thats says absolutely nothing. 14 minutes over 21 games. Get a ****ing grip.some awful sad ***** out there.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Thats says absolutely nothing. 14 minutes over 21 games. Get a ****ing grip.some awful sad ***** out there.

It's a WUM twitter account.

Don't get so offended by serious business on the internet pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liverpool have 15 goals in their last 6 league games so it does make for a high scoring game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Given that United score more goals (thus generating more added time) and play against teams that adopt delaying tactics 'cause they're scared, that's not surprising.

Or, coversely and possibly more accurate...
    When Utd need a goal late on, the refs often seem to forget to look at their watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Or, coversely and possibly more accurate...
    When Utd need a goal late on, the refs often seem to forget to look at their watch!
    You're right, David Gill makes a call from his office phone into the referee's earpiece. If you tilt your tinfoil hat just right, you might be able to pick up some of the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nah, not when mods of the Politics fourm are going for a cheap dig on the interwebz. Woof!

Can you, or any Man U fan, explain to me why Man U is a slur? I'm genuinely interested in why it is considered an offensive way to name the club? :confused:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Can you, or any Man U fan, explain to me why Man U is a slur? I'm genuinely interested in why it is considered an offensive way to name the club? :confused:
    Google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The same claims were made last season, and were put to bed when I put up exactly where the Man U term came from, along with pictures of Man U badges and items from the era that had that exact term on them.

Will have a look to see if I can find the posts, but the Man U term actually originated in Manchester and was used by the club and supporters at one point.

Man Ure is the insulting term that sprang from it, and that was used by rival supporters as a twist on the Man U branding.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    The same claims were made last season, and were put to bed when I put up exactly where the Man U term came from, along with pictures of Man U badges and items from the era that had that exact term on them.

Will have a look to see if I can find the posts, but the Man U term actually originated in Manchester and was used by the club and supporters at one point.

Man Ure is the insulting term that sprang from it, and that was used by rival supporters as a twist on the Man U branding.

And Man Ure is childish and silly stuff, but Man U just seems to be a way to refer to the club as per the google search I just did.

Google the question you asked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

2-1 to Liverpool. Both from Suarez. He is on fine form this season and will cause United a lot of problems. Will be denied a stonewall penalty too.

Google the question you asked

No, you tell me. Explain to me what's wrong with it?

No, you tell me. Explain to me what's wrong with it?

I have no interest getting into this, it crops up regularly enough , if you really want to know the answer its very easy to find all the information you need. You can then make up your own mind if its offensive or not.

I have no interest getting into this, it crops up regularly enough , if you really want to know the answer its very easy to find all the information you need. You can then make up your own mind if its offensive or not.

Why not tell us, what the problem in telling us, I'm interested to know what's wrong with it too.

It's not offensive, any web pages telling you it is are lying, or re-telling a myth that was made up by someone looking to get offended.

Lloyd already knows this, so he's best ignored here, he's pretending to be ignorant.

Ok I googled it and I was redirected back to this thread asking why is Man U a slur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Offence is a very personal thing. I've been a United fan for 30 years and I'm not remotely offended by Man U. Even if somebody thinks they're offending me with it, they're not.

Well if no-one can explain in simple terms why it's offensive I am forced to conclude that it isn't offensive. So Man U it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

seriously I'm not taking the piss or on a wind up .... Why is Man U offensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The only reason Man U annoys me is coz I read it in a Bill O' Herlihy voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Man U is not offensive.

Next.................

And Man Ure is childish and silly stuff, but Man U just seems to be a way to refer to the club as per the google search I just did.

No Manure is not childish or silly, but rather horribly offensive when one considers the vile manner in which that term was used.

Manure was used for decades as part of a disgusting song by non United supporters much in a similar manner to how the term Victims was used in relation to Hillsborough.

I don't think there is any need for me to quote the Manure song as I am sure the United supporters on here know it's history and what man's name got used in that line.

• Advertisement

Man U fans should stop engaging Lloyd, he's only here to play.
    Those threads are easy. Play the waiting game and let the idiocy develop then pounce. Just make sure you're going hard in the paint, not a thread for suffering fools. :)

Then get out before the arguments become entirely circular and let the fish rumble on for another 36 hours (or until lock) pointlessly. Easy game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can we use Man Yoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ok I googled it and I was redirected back to this thread asking why is Man U a slur.

Its a reference to a song about Munich that some Liverpool fans like to sing

efb wrote: »
    Can we use Man Yoo?

You can if you want to come across as an eight year old girl in the playground.

Knock yourself out.

Fuhrer wrote: »

first I heard of it :confused:

• Advertisement

It really isn't. That is made up so people could get offended at something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Leiva wrote: »
    first I heard of it :confused:

Yeah, ok.

Yeah, ok.

Stop being offended on behalf of other people who made something up to be offended about.

Yeah, ok.

Are you getting it mixed up with something else? Maybe what Kess mentioned above ^^ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

There is fúcking nothing offensive about the term 'Man U', it's an abbreviation ffs. Stop acting like precious little princesses.

Next person to continue the conversation on it is banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Our year.

Kess73 wrote: »
    No Manure is not childish or silly, but rather horribly offensive when one considers the vile manner in which that term was used.

Manure was used for decades as part of a disgusting song by non United supporters much in a similar manner to how the term Victims was used in relation to Hillsborough.

I don't think there is any need for me to quote the Manure song as I am sure the United supporters on here know it's history and what man's name got used in that line.

No, that's fair enough. I should have decried it in much stronger terms. I would never have used the term / sung the song myself obv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Luis is on fire, Stevie is going to dominate midfield. I expect Webb to send off Agger after a dive from Young. Fergie is cracking up. Thanks but no yanks Thanks for those yanks. Kenny is god. Suarez was/is innocent. Its all a conspiracy. I'm changing my username to Stewart Downing etc etc

It's hard to see a way in which Liverpool can win the game given the respective form of the two clubs this season. Utd will find a way, and that way may be despite them losing the midfield battle or Suarez being effective or Rooney not being on the pitch, etc. Seems to me Utd have a way of confounding expectations in ties like this and digging out the win.

8 of the last 11 in Old Trafford tells its own story.

It's hard to see a way in which Liverpool can win the game given the respective form of the two clubs this season. Utd will find a way, and that way may be despite them losing the midfield battle or Suarez being effective or Rooney not being on the pitch, etc. Seems to me Utd have a way of confounding expectations in ties like this and digging out the win.

8 of the last 11 in Old Trafford tells its own story.

True. Anyone regarding United as anything other than almost odds on to win is letting bias overwhelm logic.

I want Liverpool to win. I hope Liverpool will win. I will spend every minute in the ground tomorrow roaring my head off, but I have no doubts that it is a stronger team facing mine, and that the stronger team has a fantastic mentality when it comes to finding a way to get results.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement