Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment word count and marking

• 07-01-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if you're marked down if you fail to make the word count? I know there's that 10% + or - rule but doubt that's official.. The essay's 5000 words and I think I'll struggle to even get 4000 words..

Should I just submit it with as much as I can write and hope for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you're marked down if you fail to make the word count?

I think it will: in your case you're missing out on 1k of words, that will be obviously detrimental to the depth of the work unless your current word total is utterly fantastic work.
    I know there's that 10% + or - rule but doubt that's official..

It was taken fairly seriously by students. I often went 10%+ and nothing was said. I haven't had much under 10 though so it's hard to say what lecturers think.
    The essay's 5000 words and I think I'll struggle to even get 4000 words..

Work harder. Simple as. There's an eye-watering level of information out there. Books, articles, journals, websites, primary sources. If you're all out of sources, go look again and keep digging.
    Should I just submit it with as much as I can write and hope for the best?

Definitely submit something, short word count or not.

What's your field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Eod100 wrote: »
    I know there's that 10% + or - rule but doubt that's official.

It might be! The dept. I was working with recently had that rule within the marking scheme for student assignments. 15% of total marks were for style and the word count was considered a central part of that, along with the essay's structure.

You could lose a big chunk of marks just for a short essay before you ever get into the ensuing lack of content, but better to submit a short essay than none at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Are references and citations part of the word count - sometimes these might be, depending on the lecturer's guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Manach wrote: »
    Are references and citations part of the word count - sometimes these might be, depending on the lecturer's guidelines.

From what I've experienced, universally, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Hi, I usually stuck with the 10% rule. Could you could bulk it up with more research?

• Advertisement
Advertisement