Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving London - how to find someone to take over lease?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    My short stay in London (well Twickenham) is coming to an abrupt end as out of the blue I have been offered, and accepted, a job back in Ireland.

Alas this leaves me in a predicament as I had taken out a year long lease on a flat in twickenham.
    Currently it is myself and a colleague (who is staying) and as i'm only four months into the contract, I am legally obliged to pay rent until August (either party could give two months notice of termination from July)

My landlord is happy enough to have somebody else take over my part of the tenancy, so essentially I'm looking for advice on how best to find somebody to do this...

The other thing to mention is that both myself and the other guy living with me are paying the same rent despite his room being significantly larger - we decided to flip a coin and pay the same rent regardless of this result.
    - should this be brought up with potential applicants? Should I ask the guy i'm living with to pay more of the rent?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Advertise on gumtree and spareroom and you should get some interest. Unfortunately, to get the ads to be prominent you'll have to shell out a few quid but if it means you get rid of the room then so be it.

Regarding the rent issue that's something for your housemate to decide as he/she will be living there. Ultimately, if you get interest at the current price and they sign up, move in and then find out it's tough really, they agreed to pay that amount. If you're not getting much interest and time is running out, then the rent arrangement may have to change to help flog the room.

Another point, there's people on here daily looking for rooms, be sure to pm them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Advertise on gumtree and spareroom and you should get some interest. Unfortunately, to get the ads to be prominent you'll have to shell out a few quid but if it means you get rid of the room then so be it.

Regarding the rent issue that's something for your housemate to decide as he/she will be living there. Ultimately, if you get interest at the current price and they sign up, move in and then find out it's tough really, they agreed to pay that amount. If you're not getting much interest and time is running out, then the rent arrangement may have to change to help flog the room.

Another point, there's people on here daily looking for rooms, be sure to pm them.

Really appreciate this Exiledelbows.

And if anyone happens to be stumbling across this looking for a place in twickenham, send me a pm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Congrats on heading home. One site that you may think of advertising on is moveflat.co.uk, which I've found to be good in the past

Advertisement