Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get back into software developement

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I did software development in college (CIT), and really enjoyed it for the first 2/3 years. Then I ended up on work placement in a crappy company, not really doing proper coding (with no assistance of any developers/etc) and to make matters worse my 4th year project co-ordinator was a dick and I ended up struggling majorly with enthusiasm/etc, and my overall grade was pretty poor.

I've been out of college for a few years, and I'm working as a Business Analyst, advising developers on what to code. I'm able to use some of the abilities I learned in college (specifically software engineering), but am surprised to learn of some of the practices that our developers use (e.g. they don't use a GUI designer, and place all items in a screen by hand). It's got me thinking more and more about my career (or lack thereof), and I'm thinking that I should try to go back and actually make use of my degree.

I'd be curious what people think would be a good area to get involved with? I'd like to tinker away at home, try to upskill myself if I could (my general coding ability is probably at a similar level to where I was before I started college). Because I use my phone all day everyday, I'm thinking mobile development could be somewhere to look at, is this a big area of employment?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement