Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do other dogs dislike my dog?

• 07-01-2013 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I've a male border collie. Fairly regularly I'll be out for a walk and some random male dog will just come up and start trouble. Even when he was a pup, he got picked on. He hid under a car for twenty minutes on his first ever walk at ten weeks old. Two jack russels came running across the road barking and nipping at him. He didn't even know they were there, he was just sniffin' a tree.

Two years on the same story. It's very rare to meet a male dog that doesn't growl and show their teeth at him. Today I was stopped chatting to a friend when a dog comes over starts growling at him. Now he stands his ground and if the other dog persists for a minute or two he'll normally lose the head with them particularly in a confined space or if they nip or corner him.

Anyone had a similar experience? Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

My Husky fado is also hated :D

I think he calls all the dogs dickheads or something through dog telepathy.

He makes himself look the victim, as like most Huskies he very rarely barks.

All the owners are saying sorry for there dogs barking at him, but I know it's him call them names:D

21bp4xh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to get this a lot with smaller dogs and my retriever - that said not as often any more ah he's a lot more confident these days. What's your dog like with other dogs in general - does he play at all? Also is he intact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

tk123 wrote: »
    I used to get this a lot with smaller dogs and my retriever - that said not as often any more ah he's a lot more confident these days. What's your dog like with other dogs in general - does he play at all? Also is he intact?

He's intact. He likes chasing and herding other dogs, but only really properly playful with my other dog, a female springer. I suppose he's good with dogs in general, it's just other males are very aggressive with him. It's up to the other dog really. He'll go over have a sniff, wee on a tree and carry on. It's like the other dogs expect him to role over, even little jack russels. Very odd considering he's three times their size. It's like he gives off some sort of scent, body language or dog telepathy that makes other dogs get very aggressive towards him.
    Huskies are a funny one, maybe it's the tail. I think my dogs tail winds other dogs up.:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's intact. He likes chasing and herding other dogs, but only really properly playful with my other dog, a female springer. I suppose he's good with dogs in general, it's just other males are very aggressive with him. It's up to the other dog really. He'll go over have a sniff, wee on a tree and carry on. It's like the other dogs expect him to role over, even little jack russels. Very odd considering he's three times their size. It's like he gives off some sort of scent, body language or dog telepathy that makes other dogs get very aggressive towards him.
    Huskies are a funny one, maybe it's the tail. I think my dogs tail winds other dogs up.:confused:

Terriers have no idea they are the size they are and I'm 100% convinced they believe they are the uber class of the dog world.

There used be a Westie in my vets who put the fear of god into any other dog in the waiting room, my GSD was terrified of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I think it's the name calling thing. My Spinger Spaniel is the friendliest, calmest dog you could meet but very occasionally he nips other dogs on the beach. I've always suspected it's because they had just called him a name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I was just wondering this myself about my GSD X Collie, he has his regular play mates, but the amount of times other dogs (usually small ones) run over to him and then snarl and snap at him. He doesn't go over to them, and when they approach him he gets down on their level to show he's friendly? I fed up with small unfriendly dogs off leads attacking him while he's on lead, and the owners thinking nothing of it. I bet if my lad so much as growled at the smaller ones there would be uproar!

I mean, does this big softie look like a bully?? :D

68922_10151155985636120_1761944671_n_zps486eb54a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I never have him on the lead for his sanity and mine. There has been a few occasions of uproar alright when someones little pride and joy gave him a nip on the nose. I not going to keep him on the lead though just because the occasion little terrier gets shook. I'd never let him approach another dog like some terriers do no matter how big the other dog was. Bigger dogs normally are a bit more civilized initially but then start to snarl after a few sniffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I walk to the park with him on lead, and then he gets his couple of hours off lead with his play mates.

I just find it hard to hold my tongue sometimes, even though I know what I'm saying is falling on deaf ears. Only two days ago, I was leaving the park and had just put Bradley back on lead and this Pomeranian runs straight up to him and starts going mental and biting him. Brad being the big softie that he is didn't even retaliate. The poms owner stood about 20 yards away just watching and not even calling her dog while I tried to get between her little monster and my lad. I eventually called to her to get her dog away. I said she should have had the dog on a lead, reply 'but it's off lead hours', yes but if your dogs not friendly you need to have it under control, 'he is friendly'......well if he was feckin friendly he wouldn't be running around attacking other dogs....argh. Rant over.

Advertisement