Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies willing to sponsor Irish graduates

Options
  • 07-01-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have just finished up on a 12 month J1 graduate visa and returned back home to Ireland. However, I am dying to go back and wanted to inquire if there are any specific companies who are more likely to sponsor Irish graduates?

I know KPMG,PWC etc are very good for transferring staff, however my BSC is in marketing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm just guessing but maybe the US companies that have a presence in Ireland would be a good place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm just guessing but maybe the US companies that have a presence in Ireland would be a good place to start?

Unlikely for a marketing person. Why would HP/Intel/IBM/Microsoft send an Irish marketing graduate stateside?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

coylemj wrote: »
    Unlikely for a marketing person. Why would HP/Intel/IBM/Microsoft send an Irish marketing graduate stateside?

I guess I'm confused. The poster is talking about applying to companies in the USA right?

So my point was that when cold calling in the USA from Ireland, if you were to try starting with companies that have branches in Ireland they may have HR dept's that are more open to dealing with the paperwork involved in hiring "foreign" workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I guess I'm confused. The poster is talking about applying to companies in the USA right?

So my point was that when cold calling in the USA from Ireland, if you were to try starting with companies that have branches in Ireland they may have HR dept's that are more open to dealing with the paperwork involved in hiring "foreign" workers.

Agree in principle but I'm talking specifically about someone like the OP with a marketing degree.

The people who get sent to the US by Americans companies operating in Ireland tend to be engineers and research people who are either leaders in their fields or who need to skill up in preparation for a new product line being manufactured in the Irish plant. In the early days of Intel operating in Ireland for example, they would have sent a heap of people over to the US but less so nowadays as the Leixlip plant has reached critical mass.

Specifically on marketing: if Microsoft was launching Windows 9 next month, they might send a couple of people from Ireland over to Redmond to get a briefing from the folk there about how to launch the product in Ireland and which buttons to press with the local journalists but that would be no more than a three day trip to the US.

I don't see any scope for an Irish marketing person getting a job with a US company in Ireland and using that as a springboard to get a semi-permanent placement in the US, it's not like they're short of marketing graduates over there.

Advertisement