Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant Biotechnology

Options
  • 07-01-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    Does any body have some in depth knowledge of this area? I mean, has anybody done it as a degree? I'm considering this a potential career path and would like to know more about it i.e difficulty, jobs etc..

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

UCC has something like it and does some research in the field (no pun intended) I think? Couldn't stand it myself, much prefer the blood and guts in humans!

You could try contacting the people in charge of degrees you are interested in doing and asking to meet them and tour their labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Greetings,

I have a degree in Biotechnology. In the course we touched on plant biotechnology. It was interesting we examined genetic engineering of plants to make them resistant to pesticide/To produce their own pesticides etc. We also learned about plant bio-remediation (ie using plants to clean up waste) etc. You will probably go into more depth but these are some of the topics.You could google them and get a better feel for it,

Hope i helped
    tim3000

• Registered Users Posts: 18 phragmities

Hi,
    Yes UCC does have a long involvement with various aspects of plant biotech, and it would be a good idea to contact members of staff in the School of BEES. Its important to remember that biotech and in particular plant biotech can give you a wide range of transferable skills as the techniques used in biotech can often form the basis of research tools related to many aspects of scientific research, as well as in industry with more direct application.
    I am not aware of any large scale industrial plant biotech based manufacturing (bio reactors) in Ireland (unless you want to bend the rules and call the brewing process plant biotech :) ) but I do not have extensive knowledge in this area. There is at least one plant micropropagation facility which is located in Enniscorthy, if memory serves taken over a few years ago by a large plant nursery.
    The area of plant biotechnology ranges from large scale industrial processes to micropropagation. It is used as a tool to study biochemical processes, genetic studies, plant breeding and also the often misunderstood area of direct genetic modification, and in many other areas than I have just mentioned.
    Hope this helps in some way

Advertisement