Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nonito Donaire

• 07-01-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

What are your thoughts on 2012 fighter of ther year Nonito Donaire?
    Been following him for a while now and he seems to have the full package, speed, power, mobilty and being a very down to eath guy.
    Granted he hasnt fought Mares or Rigo yet bet he has been dominating all around him otherwise.
    Is he a future star ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭megadodge

He's a current star.

I think he's a superb all-round boxer with as good a left hook as I've ever seen and he seems a classy guy to boot.
    I have no doubt he'll beat Mares, but Rigondeux is a different story. I appreciate my opinion is based on Rigo's potential rather than achievements, but I think that's a 50/50 fight and hopefully one we'll get to see in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

sorry i should have clarified what i meant by star,
    I meant able to pull millions on ppv.
    Yeah its i fight i hope to get to see too, unfortunatly i think it will be late 2013 if it does happen as both have pretty much confirmed when they are fighting next.
    However Donaire does fight pretty regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

mahonykid wrote: »
    sorry i should have clarified what i meant by star,
    I meant able to pull millions on ppv.
    Yeah its i fight i hope to get to see too, unfortunatly i think it will be late 2013 if it does happen as both have pretty much confirmed when they are fighting next.
    However Donaire does fight pretty regularly

The usual rules apply. When Pacquiao was in that neighbourhood he had legends like Barrera and Morales to face who could elevate him to superstar status. Donaire doesn't really have that calibre of 'star' to fight.

Nor is he as exciting as Pacquiao. He's an outstanding fighter, but many of his fights take on the pattern of an opponent being extremely wary of Donaire's power and cautious as a result, and Donaire struggling to break them down or force them to exchange. By contrast Pacquiao's fights at that level were pretty much non-stop action. That's what made him so marketable.

Donaire does far has been an average draw in the ratings stakes, below average at times. The big fight for him, as everyone knows, is Mares - who I think he would probably beat. But a Donaire-Mares fight isn't going to happen while Mares is under contract with GBP, and I don't know if GBP could stomach Uncle Bob reaping the dividends from their years of investment in getting Mares to this point.

So I think the move the featherweight could be where it happens from Donaire if he is to become a PPV star. He'll be facing guys there who won't fear his power so much, and as such he should find himself in much more entertaining fights.

As far as 122lbs goes, he's taken over what is a high class division and he's done it in style. It's Rigo and Mares or nothing for him in 2013 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

megadodge wrote: »
    He's a current star.

I think he's a superb all-round boxer with as good a left hook as I've ever seen and he seems a classy guy to boot.
    I have no doubt he'll beat Mares, but Rigondeux is a different story. I appreciate my opinion is based on Rigo's potential rather than achievements, but I think that's a 50/50 fight and hopefully one we'll get to see in 2013.

What do you think of Rigos chin as he was badly wobbled twice in his previous fight, if Donaire lands then it's lights out for him.
    Granted it's very hard to hit Rigo anyway but he will get caught at some stage.

Boooourns wrote: »
    What do you think of Rigos chin as he was badly wobbled twice in his previous fight, if Donaire lands then it's lights out for him.
    Granted it's very hard to hit Rigo anyway but he will get caught at some stage.

Which fight was that?

Even with a good chin, Donaire has the power to flatten most people he catches cleanly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Which fight was that?

Even with a good chin, Donaire has the power to flatten most people he catches cleanly.

Marroquin (had to look up his name) he rocked him twice in the fight.

Haven't seen it, but the reports all said he was rocked in the third, so if you get a link could you pass it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Haven't seen it, but the reports all said he was rocked in the third, so if you get a link could you pass it on.

He was genuinely shook up twice alright, which has drawn question marks about his punch resistance. He coped with it well tbf, but you do have to question what would have happened had Donaire got him in that sort of trouble.

Advertisement