Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockbrook Park Secondary School v St Kilian's Deutsche School

Options
  • 07-01-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi!

I'm moving back to Dublin with my youngest son due to start Secondary in September '13 but find the public schools are soooo booked up. My only options are Rockbrook Park or St Kilian's which are at the cheaper end of private schools. Rockbrook is boys only & St Kilian's is mixed. I've googled Rockbrook but there are no reviews anywhere.......I'd appreciated any opinions.

Miamo
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

I went to Kilians and found it great. It's a small school, normally two classes of approximately 20 pupils in each year. As you mentioned, it is mixed and there is no uniform so this was great, I think it makes boy/girl friendships much easier as opposed to the pack like mentality of some private boys schools.
    I left there about 7 years ago so it's changed somewhat in that time.
    The one thing about it is the standard of Irish teaching is pretty poor. All of the pupils who are coming from Kilian's primary school will be very weak at Irish so come the LC years the honours Irish class is often just a handful of students.
    If you've any other questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miiamo

Many thanks for your reply Simona1986. Interesting to know about the Irish, a few weeks in the gaelteacht should help there. As regards no uniforms, that is a bonus for the pupils not the Mums! I just hope it's not too "label" orientated. Everything seems positive for St. Kilian's, We will be visiting each school shortly. I would just love to hear feedback re Rockbrook.......anybody out there?!
    Thanks again

Miiamo :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

My brother went to Rockbrook until JC. He hated it. It's an Opus Dei school, a lot of the teachers live together, very religious etc. There was only one teacher he got on well with. Also when he was there, there were very few extra curricular activities. There was too few students for sports teams. He was involved in nothing apart from school work, and not because he didn't want to be - he's sport mad. The reason he left, apart from being generally unhappy there, was because the LC subject combinations were quite restricted. Bear in mind also that it's quite remote (for bad weather etc), but there is a bus available. I know one other guy who went there but left after JC too. The marketing material is great, but in our experience there was no follow through.

I know two people who went to St Killian's and loved it. My parent's very seriously considered moving my brother there but decided it was too far away.

IMHO, St Killian's is a better option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check both their anti-bullying procedures closely. They will tell you a great deal about the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Killian's would be better for your son's social life in that it's close to town, Stillorgan, Dundrum. Most of the pupils will probably live in and around the area too, which would make it easier to maintain friendships.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your honest opinions, St. Kilian's does indeed seem better. Thanks Wild Rosie for feedback re Rockbrook, much appreciated. Looking at them both now I'm sure my son would be much happier in St. Kilians. I've an interview there next week so fingers crossed :-) ps I'll let you know the outcome!

Miimo
    :-)

Just to let you know I've enrolled my son in St. Kilian's. Everything is positive about it & I'm sure my son will be very happy there, he's excited about it which is great! Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

Advertisement