Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Way To Get To London?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm sure this has been done before but my search was fruitless and this kind of information goes stale quickly.

I read through the Sail/Rail thread but I'm just wondering (and you guys are probably the best to ask) what is the cheapest way to get to London?

I'm not concerned about comfort/time. I'd happily take a long bus ride/train. I'm thinking either that Dublin Bus 12 hour journey to Victoria or cheap Ryanair flights except with those you need to get an expensive train or bus into actual London.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

I don't have much information on it, but there are buses that leave from BusAras going to Leeds etc. I'm sure that this is another way of doing the trip; although I'm not sure on the money side.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Hi,
    I'm not concerned about comfort/time. I'd happily take a long bus ride/train. I'm thinking either that Dublin Bus 12 hour journey to Victoria or cheap Ryanair flights except with those you need to get an expensive train or bus into actual London.

Thanks.

the eurolines bus (bus eireann and irish ferries) is pretty cheap if you book in advance, if your getting return i think you can get it for about 50 euro and it brings you to victoria. If you get a cheap flight to stanstead, you can get mega bus to the centre for £6 or something like that, just depends if you have luggage. I've gotten a flight before for 25 return with ryanair, but now they have all the charges on the credit card so it might not work out cheaper at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I'm thinking either that Dublin Bus 12 hour journey to Victoria or cheap Ryanair flights except with those you need to get an expensive train or bus into actual London.

Where are you going to in "actual London"? TFL buses from Victoria are pretty good at £1.40 per trip (Oyster, not paper ticket) although you may need to take more than one bus to get where you want to go.

If you fly to Stansted, the National Express bus a tenner or less to the likes of Golders Green or Finchley Road (book online) and you can get a TFL bus from there. Alternatively, check out the TFL Journey Planner as you may have an option to take buses from an airport, although you will probably have to change a few times and it won't be fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Where are you going to in "actual London"? TFL buses from Victoria are pretty good at £1.40 per trip (Oyster, not paper ticket) although you may need to take more than one bus to get where you want to go.

If you fly to Stansted, the National Express bus a tenner or less to the likes of Golders Green or Finchley Road (book online) and you can get a TFL bus from there. Alternatively, check out the TFL Journey Planner as you may have an option to take buses from an airport, although you will probably have to change a few times and it won't be fast!

Nowhere in particular just anywhere in Central London. I'm not actually planning a particular trip it's just information that would be very useful to me as I visit London quite often.

Thanks for the responses anyway. Looks like the bus is a good option or perhaps Stansted and Megabus

Advertisement