Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If BE go on Strike, will DB & IR too?

• 07-01-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi all,

If the drivers of Bus Eireann vote to go on strike, will Dublin Bus & Irish Rail drivers will copy their brothers & sisters to go on it??

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hi all,

If the drivers of Bus Eireann vote to go on strike, will Dublin Bus & Irish Rail drivers will copy their brothers & sisters to go on it??

Does anyone know?

No they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Oh I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

But why... aren't they all in the same union etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why? - because the public will absolutely not accept solidarity strikes in the current climate, bad enough as it is having to deal with a legitimate strike due to BE-staff grievances there is no call for IE or DB striking for the sake of it and pissing off hundreds of thousands of customers for no real reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

sitstill wrote: »

Different companies though? Half the country is in the same union ie Siptu, doesn't men everywhere closes up when one company go on strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When DB go on strike do BE and IR go on strike too? No, they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

And if a SIPTU/NBRU Bus Eireann employee stands in front of Donnybrook at the gates? Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

And if a SIPTU/NBRU Bus Eireann employee stands in front of Donnybrook at the gates? Time will tell.

If one of your customers stood in front of the gates you'd have a different attitude. No wonder these companies are in such a mess

I would hope they work around him or ask the Gardai in Donnybrook to remove him back to Busaras. No cause for a BE employee to be protesting at a DB garage anymore than Dunnes workers standing in front of a Tesco despite both being involved with Mandate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I would hope they work around him or ask the Gardai in Donnybrook to remove him back to Busaras. No cause for a BE employee to be protesting at a DB garage anymore than Dunnes workers standing in front of a Tesco despite both being involved with Mandate

I dont know the union stand point on these joint issues. They didnt support 'Harristowns' tour as it was a local issue. They didnt support the 'IE' stand as it was not a recognised union.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wasn't that the problem at Conyngham Rd that morning of the Harristown/Clontarf thing spreading..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I dont know the union stand point on these joint issues. They didnt support 'Harristowns' tour as it was a local issue. They didnt support the 'IE' stand as it was not a recognised union.

But it is not a "joint issue".

Dublin Bus has an entirely different set of proposals to BE, as do IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

What about shared facilities - Galway Limerick Athlone? (Broadstone?)

stop wrote: »
    What about shared facilities - Galway Limerick Athlone? (Broadstone?)

Good Question!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

They won't pass their brothers pickets so there will be disruption to IE services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Surely if they were to go on strike, that would be illegal no seeing as this dispute does not concern them? As I said I can see where they are coming from to a degree as management have not took enough of the hit, but anyone who goes out from IE and DB because of it I have no time for.

All going out in support of each other would do is to make the public want them broken up, the greatest thing about dividing the company up and selling parts of it off rather than one big parent company is it reduces the chances of such thing happening in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

why? - because the public will absolutely not accept solidarity strikes in the current climate,
    I don't think the public have any say!

There was discussion on the radio today of it possibly spreading to other CIE companies. Different times but IIRC there were sympathy strikes when Brendan Ogle & Co were downing tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Db and IR will go out if the siptu members in BE vote to strike.They are all trying to get grants off the goverment and have been told they have to make cuts.

Db and IR will go on out if the siptu members in BE vote to strike.They are all trying to get grants off the goverment and have been told they have to make cuts.

But that is my point.

The people in such companies need to realize that they cannot depend on the government to bail them out when the companies lose money all of the time, there has to be some changes within the companies as well to make things more efficient and to bring the cost base down.

Instead we have the current situation where people bury their head in the sand and say, sure, why should we have to help our company who are in financial mire out, after all the taxpayers will save the company and bail them out no matter how much money they lose.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    I don't think the public have any say!

There was discussion on the radio today of it possibly spreading to other CIE companies. Different times but IIRC there were sympathy strikes when Brendan Ogle & Co were downing tools.

No there were not - they were told where to go at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

devnull wrote: »
    But that is my point.

The people in such companies need to realize that they cannot depend on the government to bail them out when the companies lose money all of the time, there has to be some changes within the companies as well to make things more efficient and to bring the cost base down.

Instead we have the current situation where people bury their head in the sand and say, sure, why should we have to help our company who are in financial mire out, after all the taxpayers will save the company and bail them out no matter how much money they lose.
    Devnull I am not saying I agree with them .I was just saying how I think it is all this talk about private companys coming in is grand but thay wont do the non profit routes so the goverment cannot let that happen.

I was just saying how I think it is all this talk about private companys coming in is grand but thay wont do the non profit routes so the goverment cannot let that happen.

Well considering almost all of the Dublin Bus and BE city and commuter network is funded by subsidy as they are PSO routes, then I'm not sure how that is relevant as if the government took the funding totally away from such companies they wouldn't do them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A strike in the monopoly operators would play into Varadkars hand and, hopefully, mean routes would be offered to private operators.

sitstill wrote: »

No and they are 3 separate run companies .

One union, the NBRU, represents workers in all three CIE companies.

lxflyer wrote: »
    No there were not - they were told where to go at the time.

ILDA picketed Dublin Bus and DART workers who in turn wouldn't cross the picket lines. It wasn't a sympathy strike but the end result was the same.

If one part of CIE goes, the others will follow I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Hope the railways won't be put out like they were in 2000 along with virtually all other means of public transport. I don't relish the prospect of having to drive the M50 at rush hour every day.

• Advertisement

If one part of CIE goes, the others will follow I say!

Can anyone afford to be on strike ? To go on strike over something that has nothing to do with you or your company and lose money over it is stupid.

Hope the railways won't be put out like they were in 2000 along with virtually all other means of public transport. I don't relish the prospect of having to drive the M50 at rush hour every day.

Ignore the scaremongering .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I dare say there's a few of us with empty fuel tanks and taxsaver tickers coasting along the most expensive month of the year hoping to avoid spending anything unnecessary. I'd be in that camp myself and would actually have to make a choice between food and work if IE went out in sympathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I work in IE, there isn't a single word about us going on strike with BE.

The usual anti state/semi-state heads stirring the pot over nothing as is usual to the C&T subforum. On the ground in the actual companies the "CIE" overarching banner means nothing but it seems to mean the world to the 'PRIVATIZE IT ALL1111!!!!111' types. The different modes have little to nothing to do with each other in reality.

As someone else pointed out, the overlap in unions is irrelevant.

The different modes have little to nothing to do with each other in reality.

which is half the problem in the first place ;)

ILDA picketed Dublin Bus and DART workers who in turn wouldn't cross the picket lines. It wasn't a sympathy strike but the end result was the same.

Well perhaps I was fortunate then because I can distinctly remember that drivers on my local service operated out of Donnybrook did ignore the pickets.

• Advertisement

which is half the problem in the first place ;)

in what way?

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well perhaps I was fortunate then because I can distinctly remember that drivers on my local service operated out of Donnybrook did ignore the pickets.

You were, as I was unable to get to work on a couple of occasions. There were days when there were no trains and virtually no buses. I remember it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hmmm wrote: »
    A strike in the monopoly operators would play into Varadkars hand and, hopefully, mean routes would be offered to private operators.
    Will the Schools service be sorted out at last?

The usual anti state/semi-state heads stirring the pot over nothing as is usual to the C&T subforum. On the ground in the actual companies the "CIE" overarching banner means nothing but it seems to mean the world to the 'PRIVATIZE IT ALL1111!!!!111' types. The different modes have little to nothing to do with each other in reality.

As someone else pointed out, the overlap in unions is irrelevant.

I don't know where you work in Irish Rail but if it is also a bus station and there is a full picket on the place do you see yourself passing the picket?

Just heard on the news at one that SIPTU members have also voted to strike if the cost cutting measures are introduced as planned by Bus Éireann

siptu going out is expected because they have members working in BE as well and its the same dispute. Stick to the train foggy its better.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    siptu going out is expected because they have members working in BE as well and its the same dispute. Stick to the train foggy its better.
    As long as your not disabled!

• Advertisement

If BE workers place a picket on your workplace, will you cross the picket line?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why would they picket other services like DB or IR? Are they aligned enough that BE issues will really affect them? Or is it designed to piss people off even more?
    I mean could a Dunnes worker decide to secondary picket Dublin Bus as well? Is the overlap there?

ixoy wrote: »
    Why would they picket other services like DB or IR? Are they aligned enough that BE issues will really affect them? Or is it designed to piss people off even more?
    I mean could a Dunnes worker decide to secondary picket Dublin Bus as well? Is the overlap there?

Many railway stations double up as bus stations or bus depots so there will be pickets on many of these locations.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    in what way?

they don't work together, feeding into each other, offering properly combined and timed services. run competing services on the same corridors, needless duplicate expenses (wages and fuel on duplicated routes) 3 sets of management etc etc

The funny thing is at times I see staff claiming that they all work together when it suits them, such as in this case when some of the DB and IR staff are speaking about striking. On other times when it suits them they say they are separate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

If BE workers place a picket on your workplace, will you cross the picket line?

They've passed ours in the past so, yeah.

Two seperate companies and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The funny thing is at times I see staff claiming that they all work together when it suits them, such as in this case when some of the DB and IR staff are speaking about striking.On other times when it suits them they say they are separate.

Glad to see that word..."some" ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The funny thing is at times I see staff claiming that they all work together when it suits them, such as in this case when some of the DB and IR staff are speaking about striking. On other times when it suits them they say they are separate.

Interestingly enough,the Irish Rail negotiations were quite rapidly concluded some time before the others,however to the surprise of many observers,Irish Rail management (or a section thereof) suddenly returned subsequent to the signing of the agreement with further demands.

One of the complicating,if not the complicating issue is those Terms of Employment which are common to the CIE group,particularly in areas such as pensions,and other centrally provided elements.

This is why the decision was agreed,at an early stage to segment the negotiation process into 3+1,ie each company pursue those elements specific to it whilst the common ones be negotiated centrally.

It was thought that this approach was actually working,up until Bus Eireann management (or a section thereof) embarked upon a surprise solo-run.

Quite what prompted this decision remains a mystery,but it's fair to say it may have left some of the BAC and IE management negotiators hanging in the wind too....:confused:

I would not be at all surprised to hear of the ever pragmatic Mr Vardakar calling for common-sense here and perhaps invoking,yet again,the services of the Labour Relations Commission or even the Labour Court.

Failing that,the Trades Unions concerned could perhaps consider making a direct appeal to Europe.....a process now made a tad easier by Europe coming to us for a while anyway....;) ;);)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    As long as your not disabled!

Try and get onto a bus in your wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EnoughIsEnough

Both sides need to take a step back and look at the hassle they will cause to workers and students using the buses. In the end strikes can only end by negotiation so is it expecting too much for the Minister to call on both sides to resume talks at the LRC with a definite time frame of a few weeks for negotiations to be concluded.

Minister, Company and Unions need to realise that even the threat of a strike will cause people to make alternative arrangements so Revenue will be lost even if strike deferred at the last minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement