Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phibsborough / Cabra Park - Safe Area?

• 07-01-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

I recently got a job in Dublin. I'm not overly familiar with the area. Phibsborough would be a very handy place for me to live for work. From what I've heard from a few people, it's a fairly decent area. From looking around online, in or around Cabra Park seems to have a couple of suitable (at least they sound suitable) places to live. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with Phibsborough, and Cabra Park in particular, if you could let me know, what it's like there. Is it a safe neighbourhood, nice to live there etc?

From looking at a few other threads, I see people being recommended to phone the local Garda Station of places you're thinking of moving to, to ask them is the area safe etc. I tried that and I got an awful telling off. :( He told me people have been arrested for less and if I call again I'll be getting a visit. I wouldn't recommend trying that anytime soon.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

It's not the worst place in the world. Typical working class area. Plenty of pubs, take aways and shops in Phibsboro. Seems to be the odd junkie/drunk hanging around on the Phibsboro Rd. (in front of McDonalds / Tesco etc.) at all times of the day & night. Close enough to the city centre as well so easy to get to & from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

phibsboro is grand but i would try to avoid cabra park estate here being honest,lived there nearly 3 years ago and we left before the lease was up!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

It's not the worst place in the world. Typical working class area. Plenty of pubs, take aways and shops in Phibsboro. Seems to be the odd junkie/drunk hanging around on the Phibsboro Rd. (in front of McDonalds / Tesco etc.) at all times of the day & night. Close enough to the city centre as well so easy to get to & from town.
    I've lived there for the last 15 years or so and it's definitely not a typical working class area (wtf?). It's 50% middle class (whitworth road area, Shandon area, broadstone area), 40% flat-land with a high concentration of immigrants (cabra park and various other roads scattered around the place), with the remainder being a small number of typical working class bits here and there (mostly off phibsboro road).

It's a bit scruffy but entirely safe - zero trouble ever in 15 years. Close to town with decent shops and a few decent pubs (no decent restaurants though).

Cabra Park is to be avoided - it's bedsit-land with many of the houses resembling tenements for immigrants. Other than that, anywhere will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If you do move there Hedigans or Smyths is the best bet for a pint, The Hut and Mc Geogh's attract a more proletarian element

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was in Broadstone... fairly safe but you get a lot of junkies making their way into town. Kevin Barry House and St. Mary's flats are rough but the area around them is okay.

Oh and don't park in the big car park behind the service station! I used to do it all the time until I realised that about 10 cars a day are broken into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Kevin barry flats "rough"? Ive always regarded them as very quiet and decent flat complex.St Mary's may appear rough to look at walking past but Ive never ever experienced any hassle whatsoever there. Phibsboro is a nice area, Cabra park like another poster said is generally very poor accomodation almost slumlike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi guys,

I recently got a job in Dublin. I'm not overly familiar with the area. Phibsborough would be a very handy place for me to live for work. From what I've heard from a few people, it's a fairly decent area. From looking around online, in or around Cabra Park seems to have a couple of suitable (at least they sound suitable) places to live. I'm just wondering if any of you have experience with Phibsborough, and Cabra Park in particular, if you could let me know, what it's like there. Is it a safe neighbourhood, nice to live there etc?

From looking at a few other threads, I see people being recommended to phone the local Garda Station of places you're thinking of moving to, to ask them is the area safe etc. I tried that and I got an awful telling off. :( He told me people have been arrested for less and if I call again I'll be getting a visit. I wouldn't recommend trying that anytime soon.

Thanks in advance. :)

What disgraceful bullying behaviour on the part of the guard ; I'm so disgusted to read this. Appalling behaviour. I would be sick if a daughter of mine rang the guards looking for advice & was threatened with being arrested ; who do they think they are; disgusting.

Re Phibsborough; I worked there for 4 years ; near the Botanic Gardens. Some of Pb is very middle class & quiet but from walking back to my car parked on street at night some of it can be quite rough & creepy. There are ( or were) a lot of dicey types hanging about & I would have my radar up choosing a place. I would t be licking a house down some of the long dark lane way entrances down the back of the prison/canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

lived in phibsboro for 30 years. now living in Cabra (not that far away)

It has gone down hill in the past few years but its still a grand place.
    Lots of pubs, all of them are grand once you keep yourself to yourself (like anywhere I suppose)

Smyths and Hedigans would be 2 of the more upperclass venues and most expensive for pints!!
    The hut has a lovely pint as does the phibsboro house futher down the road.
    I know a lot of people living around cabra park, its not the best area to be honest so I couldnt recommend it.
    Plenty of other accomodation around the area though that is fine.
    Any questions send me a PM.
    I still drink in phibsboro every weekend so know the place pretty well still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Also if you're into football you've got the mighty Bohemians FC on your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Jumped up little pr*ck. People have been arrested for less? I suppose ringing to ask about an area is much worse than openly dealing heroin on the streets of Dublin, which nobody seems to be getting arrested for.

Can't really tell you much about the area but was often around Fassaugh Avenue and never had any trouble, if that helps at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I'm from Phibsborough and it's a grand area to live in. It's mostly residential. Due to the proximity of the hospital and prison as well as city centre and colleges, there's lots of flats around. I don't live there at the moment, and have to agree with the poster who said it's gone a bit downhill - every time I return home it hits me how shabby the place has become. But it's far from a dodgy area. I would have reservations about Cabra Park though, it's not the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I'm in Phobsboro most days and its fine. I've noticed it deteriorate recently with a few more junkies/crack heads/beggars then once before but I guess that's a sign of the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭apache

I work in Phibsboro and used to live in Cabra Park. I would say don't do it! Unless in the last 10 years it has changed. When I was living there it was a pokey bedsit and some flats had to share bathrooms.

Phibsboro is a good spot though. You're going to get junkies though hanging around because of the prison.

Its also very em multicultural.

As for the guards comments maybe he saw it as timewasting? I'd never dream of ringing them to ask about an area. With all their cutbacks its hard enough for them to get a handle on crime never mind time wasting phone calls. If I was the guard who answered the phone I would bollock you out of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I really like Phibsboro.
    It is a little grey/run down (have a look through yourself on google maps if you want https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.362058,-6.272753&spn=0.000869,0.002642&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.362058,-6.272753&panoid=sKBZPrYPA4dE0QcLo5w7zA&cbp=12,283.7,,0,2.25 )
    Has everything you need, and is within walking distance to town.
    I've never lived there, but walked through it and back everyday for 6 years getting to school, never had any trouble, though there were a few drunks etc. lying around near the canal quite a bit.
    I live close enough to it and have friends that do live there, I'd have no problem living there myself anyway.
    Can't speak for Cabra Park though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Phibsboro is fine, but as others have pointed out, it has deteriorated in the last few years. For better or worse, the Tiger largely passed the area by. Perhaps this was partly due to the long-awaited (and now postponed indefinitely) redevelopment of the shopping centre and Dalymount Park.

Personally I'd choose Drumcondra over Phibsboro. Many of the same benefits in terms of proximity to the city, but generally a nicer "vibe" (for want of a better description) and better selection of decent restaurants and pubs.

Stay away from Cabra Park, alot of crap going on there. But Phibsboro is nice. Shocked by the Garda's reaction , it wasnt 999 that you dialed was it ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just reading about Cabra Park brought up the can of worms that was the Dalkey House of Horrors case.:( One of the victims of the abuse lived and died - by her own hand - in Cabra park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just reading about Cabra Park brought up the can of worms that was the Dalkey House of Horrors case.:( One of the victims of the abuse lived and died - by her own hand - in Cabra park.

i live in the area...avoid cabra park which is not in cabra(nice place) but phibsboro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

just to point out,i still live in phibsboro,just not in cabra park anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Underpants Gnome

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I visited a couple of places in the last few days and must admit I wasn't overly impressed.

Firstly, I checked out a place in Cabra Park. The area seemed quiet enough at the time and not too far from my bus stop. It looked grand outside. The cutest and friendliest elderly couple I've ever seen showed me around. When I seen the place inside, I immediately felt guilty, as I knew I wouldn't be taking it. They were being very nice, and were even giving out life advice, but the apartment was tiny. It could barely fit all three of us in there, and I'm not exaggerating on that. So that was a no.

Secondly, I was to check out a place on Phibsborough Road. The guy never showed up after, and won't answer the phone to me. It's still up on Daft as available. I rang off of a different number and he answered. When I said who I was, he claimed to be someone else, and said that the guy I was looking for wasn't there, and hung up. Bizarre.

Thirdly, I visited a place on Cabra Road. The guy who showed me around was nice enough, and clearly wanted me to take it, but wouldn't budge off a high asking price. He claimed he had dozens looking at the place for longer leases than I want, and they could move in immediately. I said I still have a few places to look at. He said there was no rush, he'd hold on to the place for a couple of weeks until I make a decision. I assume there aren't dozens after it so. This place was big inside and looked decent, but the only way in is through a dark dodgy lane-way at the back, and it's overly expensive.

Still no luck and I need somewhere by the end of next week. As for the Garda Station call: I didn't call 999, I rang the nearest station to Phibsborough, I was overly polite, and when I rang I started off the conversation with something like: "Hi there. I have something to enquire about, that you might not deem appropriate to give information about over the phone, and if it's not suitable to ask, then apologies in advance. I'm on the move to Dublin, and Phibsborough and Cabra Park in particular seems like a likely destination for me. I was just wondering if it's considered to be a rough or dodgy area, as I don't want to be putting myself in danger. I don't get home from work until late at night, and would be walking the street on my own from the nearest bus stop." Right around here was when I was, ahem, interrupted shall we say.

• Advertisement

Thats pretty bad of the garda to be like that . If you are getting home late Cabra park is not great . Just google Cabra park and name crime after it, you will see.

Cabra road is not bad, both new and old cabra road if you can get them. There are other places around Christ the king church which are not too bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

As for the Garda Station call: I didn't call 999, I rang the nearest station to Phibsborough, I was overly polite, and when I rang I started off the conversation with something like: "Hi there. I have something to enquire about, that you might not deem appropriate to give information about over the phone, and if it's not suitable to ask, then apologies in advance. I'm on the move to Dublin, and Phibsborough and Cabra Park in particular seems like a likely destination for me. I was just wondering if it's considered to be a rough or dodgy area, as I don't want to be putting myself in danger. I don't get home from work until late at night, and would be walking the street on my own from the nearest bus stop." Right around here was when I was, ahem, interrupted shall we say.
    I have never been a proponent of the death penalty, but having read this I don't think it would be overly zealous to call for the reinstitution of hanging to deal with a crime of this magnitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Phibsboro is fine in general,there does seen to be a small homeless/street drinking scene but nothing intimating.the worst you could expect would to be asked for spare change,and the area itself is very well policed.cabra park however is not a nice place to live.maybe op should try drumcondra 5mins away.plenty of pubs takealways etc and easy walking distance to the city centre.for some reason the landlords down there like to keep their properties clean,and references would almost always be required from a tenant but the prices would be in line with cabra park/Phibsboro.another poster mentioned someone took there own life in one of the flats in cabra park.sadly this is a regular occurrence down there,overdoses are quite common in the flats too.

JupiterKid wrote: »

just googled that

that is distressing , poor woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

dd972 wrote: »
    If you do move there Hedigans or Smyths is the best bet for a pint, The Hut and Mc Geogh's attract a more proletarian element

hehe. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Just watch your green recycling bins in the Shandon area. Massive number of them robbed around Halloween and used for the bonfire in the park, and many more robbed and burned out in the same place since.

Phibsboro, if the shopping centre were imploded and legislation were passed to ensure a high standard on all the shop fronts could be a lovely area. There's definitely a lack of physical infrastructure in the area of a high standard. The 6 or 8 abandoned houses on Connacht Street do not add to the area: why can't the state force the owners to improve them, or sell them? The shopping centre needs to go. Awful blight, truly awful. If the Dalymount Park/shopping centre issue gets sorted the area would have a hub and the dynamics could be amazing for a place so close to O'Connell Street. Overall, I really feel the area is neglected by DCC and the local elected councillors.

As mentioned, Shandon, Whitworth Road and the walk along the canal has made the area very nice. There's also a good sense of community with a couple of community-organised festivals throughout the year. And, of course, arguably Ireland's finest pub,the Gravediggers/Kavanaghs, is a 5-minute walk from Connacht Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Underpants Gnome

Hi guys.

I'm checking out a new place near the big church in Phibsborough on the North Circular Road. I've walked it from Tesco in Phibsborough a couple of times, and it seems safe enough, apart from the odd homeless person looking for change, and that was directly outside Tesco.

I was also going to check out a place on Goldsmith Street.

Are these areas reasonably safe?

This story somewhat puts me off both places though. http://www.thejournal.ie/man-critically-ill-after-arm-is-partially-severed-in-dublin-attack-125450-Apr2011/

What do you guys think? Was this a one-off (no pun intended) or should this area just be avoided?

goldsmith street is a nice area, alot of residential houses and some rented to students/professionals.

that incident in the paper is just one of those things and it was romanians fighting with each other -could have happened anywhere tbf

I walk past goldsmith street on a daily basis all times of the day and night and its quiet, only down side is that traffic can build up as cars take a "short cut" through berkely road onto goldsmith street and onto the NCR -so parking could be a hassle -other than that anywhere around there and the ncr would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Hi,
    Just checking how is your search going so far? I pass Phibsborough on my way to/from work every day and it seems like an ok area to me. I'm in a search for a place myself at the moment and wondered if you have checked the area around the canal? I might be viewing a place there in Cross Guns Quay in few days and it would be nice to hear what's it like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've been in Phibsboro (Shandon Mill) for 6 months now and I have to say I love the area.

There are a handful of regulars on the street but I've never seen them give anyone trouble. Tesco is handy even though the "shopping centre" is a complete mess and there are plenty of bars/food/takeaway places around. Only recently went into Woodstock and I love that place now!

One thing though, between Mountjoy Garda station, the Mater, and Phibs fire station - you better like the sound of sirens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnnystorm

Is there a safe place to park my car there I'm going up this Sunday and need a safe place to park over night any help please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Phibsboro is great place ,really undervalued in Dublin
    Woodstock is a little Gem ,the Sunday morning fry in there is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

Phibsboro is lovely. +1 on Woodstock, absolutely brilliant spot. Smyths, hegigans are super too for a pint.

My sister lives on on the Phibsboro side of Cabra (Fassaugh ave) and finds it really nice. One of my best friends lives on just off Annamoe Rd and find it super. I don't know much about Cabra Park.... but it is pretty close to both of the areas I know. I would check it out at a few times of day... might look nice during the day, but how does it look at night etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Is there a safe place to park my car there I'm going up this Sunday and need a safe place to park over night any help please

It's safe to park your car anywhere in the city. Just don't have valuables visible. However a majority of phisboro is pay and display. And I would expect clampers even on St Patrick's day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

hfallada wrote: »
    It's safe to park your car anywhere in the city. Just don't have valuables visible. However a majority of phisboro is pay and display. And I would expect clampers even on St Patrick's day

as mentioned,sad to say but your car contents are a meal ticket for there heroin.best advice i could give is park in the airport,€6 a day and just bus it back and forth from the airport,hope this helps and your trip to my city is incident free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Minier81 wrote: »
    I don't know much about Cabra Park.... but it is pretty close to both of the areas I know. I would check it out at a few times of day... might look nice during the day, but how does it look at night etc.

I walk past Cabra Park maybe 2 or 3 times a week, at night and never had a problem. That's just walking past it, mind, but it seems grand enough. Occasional congregations of fairly dodgy looking groups on Peter's Road and Connaught Street, but I think they are just bumping in to each other on their way to/from the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Celeste111

Does anyone know anything about the area around Eglinton Terrace / Royal Canal Bank? I'm thinking about renting around there. Also, would it generally be safe for a female to walk home alone (often around 9 p.m. and sometimes later) from city centre to this area?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

About car parking ?I used park my Camper Van on a side road off Iona road with all the very high class Victorian houses .Used even sleep in it the odd night without a problem .Its just a 5 minute walk from Phibsborough .
    P.S,there is a nice walk from Phibsborough to the City center ,through the Royal Canal bank park and on through whats known as the Basin ( large water resevor with birds and seating ) .You exit out to Blessington street ,and walk down North Frederick street and on to O Connell st ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

anto9 wrote: »
    P.S,there is a nice walk from Phibsborough to the City center ,through the Royal Canal bank park and on through whats known as the Basin ( large water resevor with birds and seating ) .You exit out to Blessington street ,and walk down North Frederick street and on to O Connell st ..

Good shout! That's one of my two "scenic" walks into town. The second is through the Royal Canal Bank Park down to Broadstone, into King's Inns Park off Constitution Hill and through King's Inns to come out to Henrietta Street (nice video here: http://vimeo.com/63742898). And then onto Parnell Street via King's Inns Street.

Both actually make the walk a bit longer for me (and the second will make it much longer for anyone!) but they're nice journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Sacksian wrote: »
    Good shout! That's one of my two "scenic" walks into town. The second is through the Royal Canal Bank Park down to Broadstone, into King's Inns Park off Constitution Hill and through King's Inns to come out to Henrietta Street (nice video here: http://vimeo.com/63742898). And then onto Parnell Street via King's Inns Street.

Both actually make the walk a bit longer for me (and the second will make it much longer for anyone!) but they're nice journeys.

I used do both also when i lived in Phibsborough ,on Royal Canal Bank ,for several years behind the library and facing the Prison.My local was the RedWINDMILL on Phibsborough road ,still going strong when i was last in Ireland ,Sept.2012.

• Advertisement
Advertisement