Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport costs?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does anyone know how you would go about trying to open a shop in Dublin airport? And if there are any additional fees (I'm assuming you would have to pay some sort of fee to the DAA)? I'm thinking of starting my own business and that seems to be a perfect location

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Mcnamaj wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you would go about trying to open a shop in Dublin airport? And if there are any additional fees (I'm assuming you would have to pay some sort of fee to the DAA)? I'm thinking of starting my own business and that seems to be a perfect location

It is far from easy I'm afraid. Having worked in the airport for a few months one summer I got in touch with the Retail Property Manager in the DAA about an idea which I was very confident there was demand for as I saw it day-in/day-out in my retail role in the airport itself.

Didn't really get anywhere with them at all, although to be fair I wasn't incredibly serious about pursuing it either. It was more of a case of testing the water, but they didn't know that. One thing I would imagine however is that you would need to have a very strong track record in that exact line of business elsewhere before they would consider entering into talks. The other thing is that rents in the airport due to concentrated footfall would be extremely high. I know the figure for one of the small car rental concessions in the arrivals hall of T1, and it is massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Seriously??
    1. Go to www.daa.ie,
    2. Click on "doing business with us"
    3. Click on "retail".

The phone number and person who answers your query is actually listed there on that page. I see you'll go far with that level of initiative!

As for wondering into Ireland's most expensive and prestigious retail space for the craic ya know.....

micosoft wrote: »
    I see you'll go far with that level of initiative!

Sometimes people want to hear of the experiences/advice of others before launching head first into things. There is no need for a comment such as the above to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'll be honest, if you don't have a few succesful retail outlets already, they wont entertain you. As for rent, I know a lot of the shops rent are based on turnover, its very expensive. Does your idea need to be based in the airport? Could you open it elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcnamaj

MarkMc wrote: »
    I'll be honest, if you don't have a few succesful retail outlets already, they wont entertain you. As for rent, I know a lot of the shops rent are based on turnover, its very expensive. Does your idea need to be based in the airport? Could you open it elsewhere?

I see what you mean- yes I could open it elsewhere - the products are aimed at tourists (Irish made confectionary type) which is why the airport made sense- thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

ImDave wrote: »
    Sometimes people want to hear of the experiences/advice of others before launching head first into things.

Yes, but that wasn't what was asked.

Blacknight wrote: »
    Yes, but that wasn't what was asked.

I would read from the OP's question that he was looking for some advice, not merly the phone number of who to contact in the DAA's retail section. I'm sure he could have found that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

ImDave wrote: »
    I would read from the OP's question that he was looking for some advice, not merly the phone number of who to contact in the DAA's retail section. I'm sure he could have found that himself.
    Ok, but that's not how I read it .. or how the other poster read it

If he was looking for other people's experiences then that wasn't clear..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

MarkMc wrote: »

Was watching the documentary on Sky one awhile back called Gatwick where the showed the in's and outs of running the airport and they also explained that the airport would agree to a certain percentage of the income as payment for rent, So understandably it was down the the airport owners to try and get more and more people flying from Gatwick, It was rather interesting and will prob be on sky 1 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Bummer1234 wrote: »

Was watching the documentary on Sky one awhile back called Gatwick where the showed the in's and outs of running the airport and they also explained that the airport would agree to a certain percentage of the income as payment for rent, So understandably it was down the the airport owners to try and get more and more people flying from Gatwick, It was rather interesting and will prob be on sky 1 again.

I saw that programme, its repeated regularly. I know Dublin do it, the company I worked for, all their outlets were rented that way from DAA

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    Ok, but that's not how I read it .. or how the other poster read it

If he was looking for other people's experiences then that wasn't clear..

Ok. Just wanted to make the point that, in my own opinion, a comment such as that of the aforementioned other poster, was a bit far, and not very insipring to the OP. Anyway, I digress from the topic at hand.

I see what you mean- yes I could open it elsewhere - the products are aimed at tourists (Irish made confectionary type) which is why the airport made sense- thanks for the feedback!

OP I would have thought that the best way for you to enter this specfic market would be to either attempt to negotiate a concession in an already established retail outlet with somewhat aligned products, or to simply look to wholesell your products to another outlet. Would be far less risk, and would give you an insight into demand and the potential market for your product before looking to pursue something bigger. I know it is far easier said than done, but also worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I think some of the shops in both terminals are strategically placed advertisements to create brand awareness. I see them empty everyday and from talking to staff they sell very very little.
    I know someone working in a big chain electronics shop in T1 and she reckons their biggest customer group is staff availing of discounts and then travellers buying plug adaptors and other small stuff.
    I really don't see how most shops turn a profit in dub.

Advertisement