Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat dribbling, coughing, lost her voice

• 07-01-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

As in the title, I spotted my cat dribbling a bit when I came home from work. A little while later she gave a few coughs, and seems to have lost her voice. She's falling asleep on the couch now and seems to be dribbling quite a lot. I don't know if it's a respiratory infection or flu or what, but do I need to ring the emergency vet? :confused: Or am I panicking? She doesn't seem to be having any problems breathing but the drooling is worrying me.

She's nearly 5 years old, indoor cat only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I would call the emergency vet and describe the situation best to be on the safe side. Hope all turns out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

As has been suggested I would ring the vet. It could be dental issues but it could be soemthing stuck in her throat.
    Has she eaten/drank water?
    No harm in getting an opinion over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yeah I rang the emergency number and a vet rang me back. She's had her shots, she did seem to eat and drink water today, she hasn't been near anything unusual that she could have ingested so he figured she'd be safe enough 'til the morning.

I feel like an over-protective mother hen :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Alicat wrote: »
    Yeah I rang the emergency number and a vet rang me back. She's had her shots, she did seem to eat and drink water today, she hasn't been near anything unusual that she could have ingested so he figured she'd be safe enough 'til the morning.

I feel like an over-protective mother hen :o
    Nothing wrong with being an over-protective mother hen:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My cat gets a lot of throat infections, I always notice him drooling and loosing his voice so it could just be something simple like that. I find feeding him oily things like sardines in olive oil tends to sooth his throat until I can get him on antibiotics so you could maybe try something like that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement