Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which RAM?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Is there any difference between DDR3 SDRAM and SODIMM?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SODIMM=Laptop RAM (smaller/fatter module). The others possibly desktop RAM

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I might explain a bit so. I have a laptop with DDR3 SDRAM, and I was looking at SODIMM RAM, I checked to see if it would work, and I read that they had a different number or pins. I presume that what I read must have taken the SD ram to be for desktops. So should SODIMM RAM work in my laptop?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

GarIT wrote: »
    I might explain a bit so. I have a laptop with DDR3 SDRAM, and I was looking at SODIMM RAM, I checked to see if it would work, and I read that they had a different number or pins. I presume that what I read must have taken the SD ram to be for desktops. So should SODIMM RAM work in my laptop?

SODIMM DDR3 will work fine, DDR2 or DDR won't obviously. SODIMM is just a smaller version but it's the same technology. SDRAM is just the type of RAM it is (synchronous dynamic random-access memory thanks to wiki), non SODIMM RAM is for desktop

Nick

Advertisement