Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I hope this is not a stupid question but i need to start somewhere...

I have an idea for a product that does not exist, I have a few designs in my head and drawn down for schematics... its by no means fully designed, purely because i am not an engineer or have no idea how to begin a patent... But i do know how the product will function and am 99% on what parts are needed to do it...

I work in the emergency services and have identified the need for a product, it is not a 'in service' product so would not need to meet the strict rules or ratings that emergency service equipment and tools need to pass. It is simply a personal product to provide a bit of extra safety to ES personel...

What i need to know is... Can you patent an idea? or do i need to patent a design or what? because i would like to involve an engineer to help with design and identifying what parts would be needed and how to best source them.. but i dont want someone to run away with my idea if its not protected... Also if i was to get it patented and designs are ready to rock, how do i go about involving a company to manufacture the product, i know the cheapest way is to get someone in China to look after this but how the hell do i go about that? i would prefer to produce this product locally because the raw materials are very small and relatively cheap from what i can see, I would need a company to also look after injecting moulding as the product will be contained in a housing...

Im sorry if a lot of this is vague, but i am very new to this and have never looked at launching a product...

Thanks
    H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

In relation to patents, don't be too worried about it just yet. It's a very expensive process and unless your idea is extremely inovative, it is possible that someone will just tweak your design and manufacture it themselves. The key is getting market saturation asap.

As a first step, you could prepare a business plan and apply to your local enterprise board for funding. If they like your proposal, they may match your investment to get your idea further developed.

Most companies who provide assistance with feasibility studies and prototype designs will only be too happy to sign a non disclosure agreement. You can download these online or the design company may have a standard form. This maintains confidentiality and means that you can still apply for a patent at a later date if that's what you want.

Companies who you think may buy/invest in your invention will generally refuse to sign. They don't want to sign in case they have, or may have a similar product in development.

If I was you, I would try and make a very "rough and ready" protype yourself. It's amazing how an idea develops. By doing this you will save yourself a fortune later. €10k can disappear in no time when you have a designer involved.

Another great resource is this website: http://www.trevorbaylisbrands.com/

Trevor Baylis invented the wind up radio and now assists with patents and establishing the commercial viability of new inventions. For a relatively small fee, he will examine your idea to see if it is of interest plus he will do a check on existing patents to see if it has already been registered. This can save you alot in the long run. If he thinks it is a good idea, he will offer to progress the idea for a share.

Good luck with your invention.

Advertisement