Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

regular bank transfers back to ireland ?

• 07-01-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27

Can anyone tell me whats the best/cheapest way to transfer money to an irish bank account on a monthly basis from NZ.
    What NZ banks would you reccomend in general ?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TSB are noted as best for customer service but are fairly regional and hard to setup with if you are still not in the country. I went with ANZ initially who were super easy to deal with and very helpful re cards, visa etc. With TSB now as part of the mortgage and they are grand as I'm based in New Plymouth where they are.

Don't go National, they are about to be rebranded to ANZ anyway. there is also westpac, ASB, BNZ, Kiwibank (post office) and more I'm sure. I deal with BNZ for work and they are great too.

NZ banking is noted as the easiest, most transparent and best in the world for the last number of years so you shouldn't have too many problems regardless of choice.

In terms of payment the bank should be able to advise and setup for you. You could use an FX company if it's larger amounts (we did when first moving - TorFX) but for smaller amounts it's probably not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Currency Fair! I use these guys all the time to send money home and they're excellent, rates and fees way better then any high street bank.

http://www.currencyfair.com/

I would recommend Kiwibank for great service and online features, I've been with ANZ/National for years but just ditched them as I hate seeing their multibillion dollar profits go over the ditch to Australia.

http://www.interest.co.nz

Check out Interest.co.nz for a quick way to compare their savings and loan rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I use xe.com. Much better rates than banks and cheaper fees aswell. My bro uses currency fair. Says its pretty handy. Simple sign up. They then call you to confirm your info. You set up your accounts you wanna use and done.
    When you make the transfer you simply transfer nz dollars to xe.com's nz account. When they get it, they transfer the cash. Takes about 4 days in total (on average). Ive used quiet a few times. I find it very straight forward. I was able to add my OZ account to it aswell and transfer there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Unfortunately Currencyfair are not operating from NZ at the moment. I received the email below about a month ago:

"We regret to announce that unfortunately we can no longer accept deposits to, or make transfers from, our account at Bank of New Zealand. This is due to a new policy at Bank of New Zealand around accepting business from money remittance providers in general, and is not specific to CurrencyFair.

We are working on finding another local banking provider in New Zealand, but this is proving difficult at the moment because of a general unwillingness amongstNZ-based based banks to support non-bank alternativesformoney remittance. Obviously this does not help us to provide an excellent service in what should be a competitive market. As an interim measure, we have reopened NZD bank accounts with Bank of America in Sydney.

What this means for you: Depositing funds in NZD CurrencyFair is no longer able to accept deposits to our NZD account held with Bank of New Zealand. Any future deposits will need to be made to our NZD account held in Sydney. If you have already sent funds to the BNZ account, don’t worry, we will still receive these funds and credit them. Future deposits to the BNZ account will, however, be rejected.

This situation will most likely result in your bank making a charge for depositing funds to CurrencyFair, as it will now be regarded as an international transfer. You will still save on the exchange rate with CurrencyFair, but unfortunately this will negate some or all of the savings on the transfer fee itself.

Please send future NZD deposits to our new bank instructions below:

Account Name CURRENCYFAIR LIMITED Account Number 15364026 Bank Swift Code BOFAAUSX

Bank Name BANK OF AMERICA NA, SYDNEY Intermediary Bank Swift Code BKNZNZ22

Intermediary Bank Name BANK OF NEW ZEALAND, WELLINGTON Transferring funds to New Zealand (in NZD)

CurrencyFair will be required to make all transfers in NZD from our account in Sydney.

This will mean that the transfer will be regarded as an international transfer and may result in a receiving charge by the beneficiary bank and possible correspondent bank charges. You may want to contact your bank to get further detail on the charges they will apply. Please let us know if you are charged to receive NZD, and we will endeavour to make this information available to other customers on a bank by bank basis.

We are working hard to find another local banking provider, and apologise for the inconvenience and expense this will cause you in the meantime. As a small gesture of thanks for your support we are offering 3 free transfers in NZD for all customers until the situation is resolved. Please stick with us!

If you have any specific queries or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact the team for more detail.

Kind regards,

The CurrencyFair Team"

We now use www.moneymoveit.com, they are based in Wellington and have been excellent to deal with. Fee's are the cheapest I've found too.

The banks charge crazy fee's and the exchange rate is pretty crap too so I would avoid the banks if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PS - I've heard rumours from sources in BNZ that Kiwibank are not in the best shape and may be looking at shutting up shop or selling.

Only rumours though, nothing concrete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 9seamie

Thanks guys ill surley get sorted with one of those options.
    All we need now are the visas, did the medical today so fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

9seamie wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me whats the best/cheapest way to transfer money to an irish bank account on a monthly basis from NZ.
    What NZ banks would you reccomend in general ?

thanks

The cheapest way that worked for me was getting a credit card with 2 names on, sent the additional card with the pin to whoever in Ireland and ask them to draw the money out every month and lodge it for you.Costs a fraction of what you would pay for wire transfers etc.

Advertisement