Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog peed in the house

• 07-01-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Hoping that i could gather some information. Anway, i've a 9 year old Border Collie cross, and she's basically now an indoor dog with the exception of being outside for a few hours for exercise and the toilet. And she's been house trained to the point where she never messes in the house, even if we go off on a rare day trip.

So basically, today for the first time, she peed in the back kitchen. I know that it's probably nothing, but i'm worried because it's so unusual for her! I put it down to her just getting old. I'd love if someone could help though

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Reventon93 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Hoping that i could gather some information. Anway, i've a 9 year old Border Collie cross, and she's basically now an indoor dog with the exception of being outside for a few hours for exercise and the toilet. And she's been house trained to the point where she never messes in the house, even if we go off on a rare day trip.

So basically, today for the first time, she peed in the back kitchen. I know that it's probably nothing, but i'm worried because it's so unusual for her! I put it down to her just getting old. I'd love if someone could help though

It may be sign of old age but its also likely to be a urinary tract infection. Best bet would be to get a full work up with the vet just to be certain!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    Any changes in normal toilet habit absolutely must be checked out by the vet: it almost always has an underlying medical cause.
    Hopefully, your dog has a bit of a UTI or the like, and all will be fine after a course of antibiotics.
    As she's now classed as a "geriatric" dog (not my classification!:eek::o), you could look into a few things to ease her progress into her autumn years: Yearly in-depth medical check-ups aimed at the older dog including blood tests, changing her diet to a brain-supporting, joint-friendly diet full of anti-oxidants, cell-repairing ingredients which help the dog developing Canine Cognitive Dementia (CCD? This means upping the protein, reducing fat, increasing oily fish and green veg.
    Let us know how the vet goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

not something to ignore maybe just a one off but at her age could be onset of kidney probs urinary tract infection is she neutered if not was she in heat recently these are all questions we cant answer maybe a trip to vets might be in order if just for peace of mind have you noticed her drinking more recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She could of just gotten caught short, it can happen even to well house trained dogs, I mean if you gotta go you gotta go she could of just been bursting for a wee.

I wouldn't panic too much unless it starts becoming a regular think or if she's drinking a lot or if there's blood in the wee or she's seems down or unwell.
    If worried or in doubt then you could get a sample of her wee (easier said than done I know but if she wees on a clean floor you can syring it up into a sterilised container and bring it to the vets to analise).

From 7 years onwards there's no harm in having a blood test or urine test done once a year on their annual check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Thanks everyone for the input! @Sigma Force i was just thinking that it was a once off thing, and that if she did it again it would definitely be a good idea to bring her too the vet. It was probably one of those cases where she needed to go, but i didn't let her out in time (i'm not exactly quick at the moment :D). She seems the same as always, very playful and energetic, is drinking as much as she always had and the same with eating, so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with her for now. But i'll definitely be keeping an eye on her!

• Advertisement
Advertisement