Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Options
  • 07-01-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Well this is it, I am making the jump from running to triathlon's. Did the marathon in 2011 and ever since have struggled with motivation. Completed a few races last year but nothing major.

Had a **** 2012, loads of ups and downs. Had one major kick in the arse but its all behind me now.

So the road to Athy starts here.

I am starting swimming lessons next week. I can swim just not very good. Also going to join the local pool and get in there 3 times a week.

Had my first proper cycle on Saturday managed 22k in a hour. Pretty poor but its a start. The problem was I still have to master how to pick up the water bottle while on the move without falling in front of a car.:D:D

Back running tomorrow. Still hoping to do a few running races this year, 10ks and one half marathon.

Not sure where to start with all this training stuff but that's why I'm on boards, I will plague ye with loads of questions .:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

good to have you on board Dave, good luck with the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck with your log and your journey into the world of tris!! :) I totally know what you mean about the difficulty of drinking on the fly - I've dropped a few bottles while trying to put them back in their cage....and I'm still very new to clipping in, and I ride the brake the entire way downhill because being so attached to and at the mercy of the bike scares the bezeesus out of me!! :eek: But you'll be grand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Dory you sound like my alter ego. The break is my best friend at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Welcome to the dark side Dave and great to see another newbie over here. Good luck with the training. Athy will be my first OW tri also so see you there

(btw poster formerly known as shazkea!)

Cheers Banner.

What will be your first triathlon of the year??? How do you structure your training not sure where to start with it all

First session of the year.

5k in 25.37.
    Knew today was going to be tough. Took the first 3 ks easy enough and then pushed the final two actually surprised managed to keep pace around 8.15 mile pace. Didn't think I would will able for that pace yet.

1 hour Badminton this evening also so I will be stiff tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Another day and another 5k, Felt much better today and more in control of breathing. Another one tomorrow and then a day off before a cycle on Saturday.

Also ordered a new pair of Asics Culumus 14 so the p.b's will be probably coming thick and fast for now on.:D:D

Cheers Banner.

What will be your first triathlon of the year??? How do you structure your training not sure where to start with it all

I am looking to do a pool tri in April - sprint or super sprint depending how my swimming is progressing. Looking like a super sprint at the moment!!

I've only started training last week so am not sure how to properly structure the week yet. I am reading the Triathlete's Training Bible to get an idea of how it all fits together. Currently I am trying to do 3 runs, 2 bike rides, 2 swims and 2 strength sessions per week. My swimming is shocking tho so may have to increase that.
    Other people here would be in a better position to answer that q.

Didn't even know they was a super sprint one. I think April might be very soon for me only starting swimming lessons next week.
    Was think of something like this training wise
    Monday - Swimming
    Tuesday- Swimming (am) and Running (evening)
    Wednesday - Running
    Thursday - Swimming (am) and Running (evening)
    Friday - off
    Saturday- Cycle
    Sunday- Not sure maybe a run

Maybe might have to revise that it seems like an awful lot in a week.

Thanks must pick up that book

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

Planning on doing a triathalon this year too! I can totally understand how it can be so overwhelming at the start trying to figure out where to begin with everything. I've always played rugby/hurling so not used to this individual stuff and self discipline.

Started off this week with swimming, managed to do 1500m with 2 breaks - 20, 30, then 10 lengths.

Did 2 sessions on the exercise bikes in the gym, did 20km on 2 separate days, 30 mins each time. Also, a friend of mine who has done a few triathalons warned me against using those exercise bikes, advised I use the spinning bikes instead? Any insight on this?

I'm not too worried about running at the moment, I reckon if I can get my cardiovascular fitness up with the swimming and cycling, the run should come easy enough. If I have time though I'll try and get one short and one long run in each fortnight.

Another newbie. We will have to start a club. Fionn you are one giant step ahead of me you are flying with the swimming.

Any insight on this?
    Sorry I am no use to you at all. Maybe if you post it on the main board one of the lads will be able to help you. I wonder would someone like to help the newbies with a Q&A session.

• Advertisement

5k - 25.03

Found it very hard going tonight legs are very stiff and sore. Not used to 3 days in a row its been a long time since I have done that. Really looking forward to my day of rest tomorrow and maybe even a slice of bread.

7k run in 34 mins

Good even splits always made sure the watch stayed in the 8 minute a mile zone. Started off a bit to quick but then eased into it and kept a steady pace.

Swimming
    300 meters
    &
    300 meters with float

My first day in the pool in a long time. Cant say I enjoyed it. My swimming is very bad.
    First 300 I could not put my head under the water which meant I was using to much energy with my stroke.
    Second 300 I used a float, while using it I could put my head under the water and concentrate on my breathing. Was hoping to go a while longer but I kept getting bad cramps in my legs.

How come while using the float I could put my head under the water?
    Looking forward to having a lesson on Wednesday night

My question is, why could you not put your head under the water? Were your legs sinking? Or were you not comfortable putting it under water? I'm not sure what you mean by a "float", but i would imagine that you were able to put your head under water while using it because either it provided you with better body position, or it gave you more confidence to relax. Your lessons will be so beneficial for you. Super for signing up for them! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    My question is, why could you not put your head under the water? Were your legs sinking? Or were you not comfortable putting it under water? I'm not sure what you mean by a "float", but i would imagine that you were able to put your head under water while using it because either it provided you with better body position, or it gave you more confidence to relax. Your lessons will be so beneficial for you. Super for signing up for them! :)

Thanks Dory. You could be right about the body position and the confidence felt a lot more relaxed when I was swimming with the float :Dhttp://www.simplyswim.com/products/Zoggs/AdultKickboard.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

Did 5km in 25.43 on Saturday. Very sluggish, but it was a hilly route.

For the swimming I'd recommend going on to http://www.swimsmooth.com/. Pretty cool sight with a lot on it!

Cheers Fionn
    Interesting link I don't swim like that:D buts that's the aim

6 k but no time. Bloody watch died half way around.

Felt very comfortable but maybe that was down to the new runners. Starting to feel like a small bit of the fitness is coming back slowly.

Signed up for my first running race of 2013, local 10 k. Not expecting much but will be good to see how bad I actually am. First swimming lesson tomorrow evening :eek::eek:

Had the swimming lesson and I was right my swimming is shocking and not pretty. I used to be able to swim but years of inactivity and the occasional swim I seem to have developed my own swimming style. So this lesson was all about trying to learn a new way of swimming or the correct way.

Because of the asthma I am trying to take a breath after every 2nd stroke trying to do this correct is a battle.

Coming home I was thinking have a bit of more then I can chew with this triathlon lark.
    Is 4 months enough time???
    How often should I be going to the pool to practice??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Fair play on going and getting the swimming lessons now. The better technique will stand to you and better learning it now than two months down the line when you have reinforced all your bad habits.

What distance are you doing in Athy?, don't think you have mentioned it anywhere. I've only ever done the very short race in Athy but the wetsuit will make a huge difference, so will the current in the river. Athy seems to be a very beginner friendly race too, sure one of the lads who done it last year with me breast stroked the whole way down the swim so you will get there!

Cheers Joey, I was hoping to do the sprint one but probably do the shorter one.

Would love to do the sprint one that was goal from the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Having done the shorter one I'd say go for the sprint. As far as I remember the swim is all downstream, and the current is pretty good behind you. The river is shallow enough that you can stand most places along it.

You have 4 full months now to get your swim sorted for the race. That's plenty of time. Just looked at your plan there and your swimming three times a week which really should help you improve. If you even wanted you could do another session on Sunday, even just half an hour in the water will help. There's others on here with more experience than me but I'd say you would be well able for the sprint. You have plenty of time to train, and if you keep with it you will see your swim come along.

Cheers,, sounds like a good plan either way I could always fall back on the shorter one if need be. Must go and join the pool tomorrow and start putting in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Don't worry about the swim. In Athy you'll be wearing a wetsuit and this will be a big help. At any stage if you get tired the suit will allow you to rest / float with some confidence.

Anyway, 4 month is loads of time to get ready. You'll be flying by the day of the race. Dont stress about the swim, it'll come. I still remember the panic I went through almost 5 years ago when I started training for tri and couldn't swim. My advice is to get some OW experience before the big day, you don't want your first OW swim to be your first race. Also this will give you confidence in the buoyancy properties of your suit. Best of luck :)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Don't see any reason why you wouldn't manage the sprint.

The first 200 - 250M is up stream and then you'll fly the second leg down stream you'll be surprised at the speed of the flow. I'd be willing to bet you could float down in a reasonable time :)

I plan on doing the same myself it's a great atmosphere down there.

Kilkenny is another good one in July.

My swimming sucks by the way and I managed it :)

Thanks had the idea of doing the swim Athy the week before so will defo do it now. Hoping to do the tri in Ballina in mid July (hometown) so would love to do it think its all down stream.

Dave I worrying about my swim as well as mine is just as rubbish. I'm just going get stuck in, stop stressing about it and get into the pool as often as I can for the next couple of months. I am doing a tri in April simple as and will make up my mind about the distance closer to the time.

Great advice from everyone above and I would say just see how you get on over the next couple of months.

Just booked my next swimming lesson so at least its a step in the right direction. I'm doing this even if I have to walk in the water:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just booked my next swimming lesson so at least its a step in the right direction. I'm doing this even if I have to walk in the water:):)

Actually in the Athy OD race in 2010 I swam into the back of someone who was walking down the middle of the river holding on to the rope that seperated the upstream and downstream swimmers :) I nearly broke my feckin fingers.

Nice and easy 5k today during lunch today, tomorrow is a rest day. Swimming on Saturday and a race on Sunday. A nice quiet weekend ahead it is so.

• Advertisement

You rock! :)

Advertisement