Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Thanks Dory.

Back to the pool today. Concentrated more on technique more so then distance. Everytime I missed a stroke I pulled myself up and had to start all over again.

Managed to get about 350 meters done.
    10 k race in the morning, hopefully it will go ahead, tomorrow is more about finishing then the time. I'm saying that now probably be a different story in the morning.

Thanks Dory.

Back to the pool today. Concentrated more on technique more so then distance. Everytime I missed a stroke I pulled myself up and had to start all over again.

Managed to get about 350 meters done.
    10 k race in the morning, hopefully it will go ahead, tomorrow is more about finishing then the time. I'm saying that now probably be a different story in the morning.

The Great Heath 10k

Arrived late so didn't get a warm up done. Really enjoyed it, tough enough course with a few sneaky hills. Managed to finish it in 52 mins its not great but considering its my first race since last May I am happy enough. Felt after mile 2 that I was fresh and was tempted to push on but the aim for today was consistency and to finish strong.
    Seem to have tweaked a groin muscle during the last mile.
    Spilts
    8.33, 8.09, 8.30, 8.20, 8,36, 8.16

Roll on the next one.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

well done man. I've been lurking following your progress. I'm signed up for tri athy sprint. I've been concentrating on the swim mainly my weakest point for definite although up to 400M in the pool so happy with progress so far.

Wish I had your speed on the run I'd be around 62 mins 10k snail pace really I guess :(

Hope the injury sorts itself out sharpish. Keep up the good work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

The Great Heath 10k

Arrived late so didn't get a warm up done. Really enjoyed it, tough enough course with a few sneaky hills. Managed to finish it in 52 mins its not great but considering its my first race since last May I am happy enough. Felt after mile 2 that I was fresh and was tempted to push on but the aim for today was consistency and to finish strong.
    Seem to have tweaked a groin muscle during the last mile.
    Spilts
    8.33, 8.09, 8.30, 8.20, 8,36, 8.16

Roll on the next one.

Well done on getting out there today Dave, tough conditions. Hope the injury is nothing serious
    leeomurchu wrote: »
    well done man. I've been lurking following your progress. I'm signed up for tri athy sprint. I've been concentrating on the swim mainly my weakest point for definite although up to 400M in the pool so happy with progress so far.

Wish I had your speed on the run I'd be around 62 mins 10k snail pace really I guess :(

Hope the injury sorts itself out sharpish. Keep up the good work. :)

Good luck with Tri Athy Lee, hopefully will be my first also. Any interest in starting a log, be great to have a few fellow newbies on here :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Well done on getting out there today Dave, tough conditions. Hope the injury is nothing serious

Good luck with Tri Athy Lee, hopefully will be my first also. Any interest in starting a log, be great to have a few fellow newbies on here :)

Thanks man,

I'm trying to finish with a bit left in the tank this year. I did Athy last year and I was wrecked coming out of the swim. :eek:

Not sure on the log as my progress is a bit hit and miss at the min few lbs to shift aswell. I'll see about setting up a routine I can work off and I might be able to post progress reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice to get the first race of the year out of the way - well done too! Now mind that groin. :)

Thanks all. It feels great to be back racing again.

That's what you get for not warming up should be okay with a day or two rest.

Took a rest day yesterday legs were fairly sore and still had a small pain.

Headed out today at lunch for a slow jog. Managed 5k not even worth giving the time. I'm putting it down to the cold weather.

Need to get a new swimming instructor, my last one only went and broke her leg at the weekend.

Dying to get out on the bike hopefully the weather this weekend wont be bad

Wednesday

Managed a 7k run. It was grand, didn't push very hard. Not using the watch for one run each week and just trying to enjoyit instead of getting a sore neck looking down.

Thursday.

Had to be home early today so went for a run at lunch break. Only had a short time so only got 2.5 miles done in 19.00 mins pushed hard and felt nice and relaxed.

Hopefully will manage to get out on the bike this weekend, feels like it has been ages and I have also found a new swim instructor so back in the pool next week.

• Advertisement

26K cycle today in just under an hour.

Getting faster and managed to have a drink today without having to stop and get off the bike. First time cycling in that wind and nearly had my first fall. Was going down hill at world record pace and while not paying attention a gust of wind came out of nowhere and it had me in the grass but managed to stay on my feet.

Also having a small problem with my knee (inside) banging off the frame of the bike its leaving the knee sore and black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I heard rumours you had fallen into the dark side;)
    Best of luck with the goals Dave ...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Also having a small problem with my knee (inside) banging off the frame of the bike its leaving the knee sore and black.

Do you clip in dave? If you do it might be an idea to have them looked at and maybe adjusted so your foot is straighter. It used to happen me before but it was sorted when I had a bike fit and my cleats changed

Younganne wrote: »
    I heard rumours you had fallen into the dark side;)
    Best of luck with the goals Dave ...:D

You found me. Thanks Anne

Solobally8 wrote: »

Do you clip in dave? If you do it might be an idea to have them looked at and maybe adjusted so your foot is straighter. It used to happen me before but it was sorted when I had a bike fit and my cleats changed

No I dont have the clip on shoes. I should have got them but at the time I was afraid I would not take to the cycling. I was thinking alright that the legs were not straight while cycling or the seat was a bit low. Maybe I will invest in a pair during the summer

Didn't manage to get out for a run yesterday that weather was a nightmare. First session I missed since start of all this lark.

Wednesday

7k easy run. Nothing to mad just took it nice and easy. Today was no watch day so no times to report.

Hopefully get a run in tomorrow. Cycle and swim early Saturday morning and a run on Sunday.

****e auld weather out there today.

5k in 24.10

I don't think there is anything worse then running into a gale force wind. Enjoyed it when the wind was on my back on the way back around.

Need to get a few races sorted out now

25k Time: 57 mins

Great spin today, weather played a big part in it. Starting to feel much stronger on the bike and my times are coming down. Still trying to get used to the gears and getting a drink but all in good time

Dave any interest in joining a club? I joined a cycling club recently and really enjoying the group cycles - makes it so much easier and you pick up some great tips.

Dave any interest in joining a club? I joined a cycling club recently and really enjoying the group cycles - makes it so much easier and you pick up some great tips.

Hi banner I had gone to meet the local tri club but times just don't suit this year. I was thinking about a cycling club but I am enjoying cycling on my own at the moment, its nice and quiet. :):) and stay at whatever pace I like

Best of luck with the adventure racing would love to give one of those a go sometime.

Sunday

7k in the woods

Didn't really enjoy it today would not be a lover of mountains. Okay they are more like hills but I still hate them.
    I'm off work tomorrow so weather depending I might get out for a spin in the afternoon. Hope to start back the swimming lessons this week if I can find an Instructor that will ring me back.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Cycling

Pretty wild day yesterday. Only managed 15k but I was wrecked from the night before (Superbowl). On the plus side managed to up the average speed to 16 MPH.

Tuesday
    Running

6k, today is no watch day.
    Took it nice and handy no rush today.

Did you stay up for the Super Bowl? :eek: Which team were you cheering for?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did you stay up for the Super Bowl? :eek: Which team were you cheering for?

I was supporting the 49ers because I remember the name from back in the day.:D:D

Great game but it did not finish until 03.30 the eyes were starting to get tired at that stage.

Thursday

Just a quick boring 5k during lunch nothing exciting happened here.

Friday

Got some great news yesterday regarding a new challenge ahead in mid August which is going to take twice as much work then this triathlon stuff. Needless to say we are over the moon and I probably over indulged last night on drink and food front more then I should have.:):):)

[B]Saturday[/B]

Running
    1k warm up. 5k at 10k pace and .5k warm down

Found this no problem today. Was leading the run for most of it and for the first time in over a year really felt back to where I was in 2011.;

Swim

6 laps warm

14/15 laps freestyle. I think my swimming is getting so much better. I didn't do all the lengths one after another, had to have a small break after a few and then go on again but my stroke has really improved. Its great every time I go I make small little changes which are really helping. Finding it much easier to breath out through my nose now.

Went for 10 lengths warm down but could only manage 4 I was wrecked.

Also while getting out of the pool one of the lifeguard called me over and said how my swimming is really starting to improve and he can see a huge improvement in my stroke and just gave me some helpful tips. Really lifts your spirits when you hear something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Got some great news yesterday regarding a new challenge ahead in mid August which is going to take twice as much work then this triathlon stuff. Needless to say we are over the moon and I probably over indulged last night on drink and food front more then I should have.:):):)

Woohoo congrats Dave ! :D

Have been kind of sick since Saturday first it was a sinus infection and then a sick stomach so nothing done in 3 days and my body knew about it today.

6k in the driving wind and rain. The devil on my shoulder told me a few times to stop, he kept on telling me your knees are sore, but I took it every 1k at a time. My knees were really sore I'm putting that down to no activity for a few days. They finally seemed to warm up with only a 1k to go and at that stage I was to wet to carry on.

Why didn't I bring my watch.

Felt a bit down in the dumps after yesterday disastrous run. So headed out again today.

8k but as above I should have brought it, maybe it was all in my head but I reckon I ran my quickest time in ages today. Felt really good nice and relaxed and my breathing was controlled. Kept the pace even but it just felt faster and easier then usual.

Amazing the difference in 24 hours

Is it a baby??? If so....congratulations!!!! :D

Congrats Dave, that's great news. Enjoy the over-indulgence while you can eh :D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Is it a baby??? If so....congratulations!!!! :D

It is a baby and thank you.

Advertisement