Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It is a baby and thank you.

Yay!!! Woo hoo!!! And, whoop whoop!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

So I woke up this morning still feeling bloody sick. So instead of heading for a run and swim, I decided to give the wife a hand around the house with this thing they call cleaning. 30 mins in and I was in a sweat nothing like I get from running.

Many hands make light work.

We seem to have finished it very quick so loads of spare time and feeling much better I got out the bike.

25k in 55 mins. Finding it much easier now on the bike. Kept a decent speed and I also have managed to take a drink while still on the move which has helped the time come down.

Heading for dinner tonight so it could be a late start, hoping to head for a run and swim the running is much easier :D:D

P.S I wont be doing that cleaning lark again for a long time

Today swimming didn't exactly go to plan.

After last night feast I was still feeling full today.

Plan was warm up, 20 lengths at an easy pace and a warm down

Warm up went well (3 lengths). Planned 20 lengths turned into 14 and I was wrecked could not do another one. So warm down did not happen and I headed for the showers.

I will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

We all have days like that dave. You most definitely will be back :)

5k at lunch today

Was hoping to do 8 but the breathing was all over the place could not get it under control so I cut it short when I hit 5k.
    Try it again tomorrow if its no better, I might take a few days rest and see can I get rid of this cold/infection once and for all.

• Advertisement

Same 5k again today

I can confirm that the breathing is okay, I actually felt great, pace was nothing out of this world but that's not a big deal yet.

Will do an 8k tomorrow and then take the weekend off training as real life takes over for a few days

Got out for a quick run at the weekend. 8k nice and fast. I must charge my bloody garmin.

Plan for the week
    Tuesday - 5k
    Wednesday - swim and run
    Thursday - 9k
    Friday - cycle

5k - 8.20 mile pace

Nice and easy nothing to major. The running has come on loads in the last few weeks.

Must change my watch from miles to K's

Double up day
    Was hoping for a run at lunch and a swim this evening. There was bloody lessons on in the pool so the swim was a no go.

5k @ 8.25 pace lunchtime run

Was tired after yesterday so it took me a couple of minutes to get going. But like yesterday felt great and it probably the quickest I have been running for a long time.

6k evening run

Because of the swimming lessons I didn't get any swimming done. So instead I hit the road again. Kept a steady pace but nothing to major. Started to feel very tired towards the end. First time doing two sessions in one day. No watch so no time to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

you running in ballina dave.. if thats the case i was in the pool getting lessons ..sorry..

• Advertisement

Ha Woody. I am a Ballina man but now living in Laois so you are not to blame it those pesky kids

5K @ 8.32 mile pace

Another day and once again another 5k. Nothing to major to report I was going to use this as a recovery run but at the start I realised that I more then likely wont get anything done this weekend as I am off to a birthday party in the big smoke so that's 2 days gone. So hoping to get a 8k run done tomorrow. That would make it 5 sessions in 4 days which is a big jump from a few weeks ago

I know I am getting no work done on either the bike or swimming but my base fitness level is improving which can only help and this is the last weekend outing for a while.

7k @9.10 mile pace

Boy was that a struggle every muscle in my leg was crying out with pain. I was meant to do 8k but I just had to stop at 7k. Pace was very slow but I don't care about that.

I am in bits now legs are very sore.

5k @ 8.10 pace.

Very uneventful and boring. Starting a new route next week now the evenings are longer. So it will be 8k's at least 3 times a week and then one long run.

Finding it very hard to get swimming lessons, no one will ring me back there must be word on the street on how bad I am. They are not helping me with my goal of making Athy

Double up Wednesday

5k @ 9.00 pace (lunchtime)

Tough going could not get the breathing under control which meant constantly having to slow down.

7k no watch (after work)

Just used this run as a recovery run. It was very very slow and the breathing was much better. Feel really fresh now, its a long time since I have looked forward to each days training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Finding it very hard to get swimming lessons, no one will ring me back there must be word on the street on how bad I am. They are not helping me with my goal of making Athy

Dave that mad me LOL, you aren't that bad....are ya??;)

I think I am Anne.

Its not my fault that the last instructor keep ducking under the water and could not come up for air. They cant blame me for that one just because my hand was apparently on top of her head resting, I had just completed a length of the pool. Give a man a break I paid her 25 euro.:D

Thursday
    Easy 7k.
    Nothing much to report.

Saturday
    20k cycle in 50 mins. I'm getting much quicker on the bike. Felt in reasonable good shape when I finished, hope next weekend to up it to 30k's. By the time Athy comes around I should have the cycle down to around 44 mins or quicker

Saturday (evening)
    Quick 5k before the match. Headed up the local woods for this one. I hate that place its all hills always struggle to catch my breath. Good training for the Great Ireland run :D

Sunday
    Headed to the pool but it was packed full of kids so got feck all done

Mad busy week at work so updating the log now

Tuesday
    6k @ 8.30 pace

Wednesday
    6k no time

Thursday
    Managed to get my first midweek cycle done of the year. Got in done in a leisurely 52 mins

Because tomorrow is St Patrick's day and I will probably be going for one or two drinks to allow myself these, I have made a managerial decision. I am getting up at 9 o clock in the morning to go and take part in a 5k race. MADNESS;);)

St Patrick's Day 5k

Legs felt great yesterday, had a decent warm up which is not the norm.

For once I started in the correct group. Started off at a good pace but felt very comfortable @ 7.20 mile pace. It was much the same for the second mile @ 7.34 pace. There was a tricky hill around 2.5 miles which was unexpected and then my shoe lace opened I thought that was the end of the race, that I would not be able to get the pace back up again.
    Last mile managed to pick up the pace again and started to pass people. Legs were starting to get tired at this stage @7.36.

Finished in 23.06 but the clock at the finish said 22.36, so I think I will take the clock time. Either way I am delighted with the time and its a good starting mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Woo hoo! Well done you! Did you have to stop and tie your shoe? I always double knot my shoes -had to learn the hard way myself.

• Advertisement

Funny enough I tied them just before the start with a double knot. Yes I had to stop and tie them which I thought would kill my momentum but it acted as a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

St Patrick's Day 5k

Legs felt great yesterday, had a decent warm up which is not the norm.

For once I started in the correct group. Started off at a good pace but felt very comfortable @ 7.20 mile pace. It was much the same for the second mile @ 7.34 pace. There was a tricky hill around 2.5 miles which was unexpected and then my shoe lace opened I thought that was the end of the race, that I would not be able to get the pace back up again.
    Last mile managed to pick up the pace again and started to pass people. Legs were starting to get tired at this stage @7.36.

Finished in 23.06 but the clock at the finish said 22.36, so I think I will take the clock time. Either way I am delighted with the time and its a good starting mark

And ya never even said hello to the hunk on the mic;)

I saw the hunk on the mic at the end, but I was very tired and some might say a bit sick and I was afraid what might happen

Feeling very sore since Sunday.

Tuesday
    6k - 7.40 pace. Tough run found it hard to keep the pace. Legs felt tired but I felt in great form after Sunday.

Wednesday (lunch)
    5k - 8.10 pace Nice easy relaxed pace, nothing to made have a very tight right calf.

Wednesday (after work)
    6k - no time. I was just trying to loosen out my legs, I think I was going so slow walkers could have passed me out.

I have made a decision, I am entering Tri Athy on Friday. Its the sprint one this year and if I cant get up to speed on the swimming I could always drop down to the Try a Tri (or whatever its called) and win that:):). Either way its on.

Thursday

7k @8.40 pace

The weather didn't help was tough going but I'm really starting to enjoy running especially the shorter distance

Friday (one giant step)

Will I finally did it, I signed up for Tri Athy.

Saturday

Just over 20k. Don't have a correct time as I had an issue with my pedal and then got a phone call from work so I had to stop but it was very enjoyable. One quick observation from today's cycle, the amount of roadkill on the roads in crazy especially the poor badgers

Hope to head to the pool tomorrow and a quick run. Have a swimming lesson at home next weekend. Imagine I have to travel 3 hours to get a lesson:D:D

10 weeks to go to Athy so its time to up the game

Sunday
    Swimming not very far but I'm getting there. I have finally got some swimming lesson starting this week.

Monday
    6k @ 8.30 pace. Very cold day I had so many clothes on me, I was like the Michelin Man running.

I hope to get a run done tomorrow, swim & run Wednesday, Swim & run on Friday, Cycle on Sunday.

I probably wont have a tri suit so what do I wear for the cycle and run. I'm trying to keep cost down as much as possible considering what is around the corner in August.

http://www.moremile.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=4070,4072&CAT_ID=4320&P_ID=40346
    currency converted and postage prob leave it closer to 50 euro though.

any good , if your back in ballina at any stage i know coxs had some sailfish ones on sale at 60 euro, still too much for me though,
    why cant you just wear whatever you normally cycle and run in which is i presume cycling / tri shorts and a jersey.. or will it not fit under wetsuit

sorry thinking back it was just a tri top in coxs for 60, the suit was 80 ! which comparing online is well overpriced..

Cheers Woody. I'm actually back home on Thursday for a few days will pop into Coxs for a look also looking for a wetsuit. Might just buy tri shorts.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    6k @8.05 pace

Wednesday

Major step in the right direction. Had a swimming lesson today and I was informed that my swimming is not that bad.
    Started with a 200 meter warm up. Then worked on my technique, which is not great its a work in progress. Hips are to low, I only kick from my knee to my toes instead of my hips and I can only breath on one side.

I say in total probably did around 600 meters.
    Didn't manage a run this evening as my right calf was very tight so instead I went for a walk.

Advertisement