Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

See you in Athy. :)

My lbs were doing Pearl Izumi trisuits half price. Bargains are out there if you hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I'm defo on the right track anyway.

First off I need a wetsuit.

My lbs????

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Local Bike Shop

I had to take a few days off, Ate a funky Chinese on Thursday night and didn't feel right until today.

37k on the bike

Today was my longest trip on the bike. Really enjoyed it, managed to get lost which didn't help with the time. If only it was a bit warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I heard you the 1st time;)

• Advertisement

That's how tired I am after today's travels:)

Recovery Run

Just used today as a recovery run. Legs felt very heavy and arse was very sore after yesterday outing.
    4K @ 8.29 pace

Tomorrow is lunchtime run and after work swim.

6k @ 8.20

Did you ever feel like you ran more then you actually did, will it happened me this afternoon.
    Changed things up today and ran a different route, very tough and the legs felt like I had done 5 miles, to my disappointment I had only done 6k when I checked my watch at the end

800 meters swim

Yes you read it right. I managed 800 meters not all in one go.
    Had a swimming lesson.
    Started off with a 200 meter warm up.
    Then had to do a length within 30 seconds time-frame and any spare seconds left I could take a rest and then repeat.
    More lengths with this funny hand contraption concentrating on stroke and breathing.
    All this took me 30 minutes now I know this is a long time but he kept stopping me to give me instructions and I still have 10 weeks to go.

One small problem when entering Athy I managed to enter the Try a tri instead of the sprint. I wonder how would I go about changing it, anyone on the inside that could help please

5k @ 8.32 pace

Legs were dead. Really felt these last 4 days but I have put in a good bit of work. Taking tomorrow off and then a 40k cycle on Saturday and maybe swim on Sunday.

Took yesterday off as I went to see little red face on the hospital monitors, then spent most of the day looking at prams etc ............... So that has to count as some form of training. The amount of walking around and in circles was never-ending

45k on bike
    First 20k was done in 49 mins and the rest was done at a very leisurely pace. Perfect day for a cycle and it was the first outing of 2013 for the sunglasses and I also got a small bit burnt on my face. I'm really starting to like this cycling lark.

I was hoping to get my cycle time down 44 mins for Athy, has anyone any training plans that I could use. Starting this week I hope to get out on the bike at least twice a week.

Also this evening was the first time I felt junior give an auld kick. Very strange feeling.

• Advertisement

What a disaster today was. Planned 6k today only managed 4k before I threw the towel in.

I had this pain in my hip all day and then I could not get control of my breathing it just made for a very uncomfortable run. I hate days like this but time to move onto the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

What a disaster today was. Planned 6k today only managed 4k before I threw the towel in.

I had this pain in my hip all day and then I could not get control of my breathing it just made for a very uncomfortable run. I hate days like this but time to move onto the next one.

Dave, if you try starting off the run very slowly the breathing shouldn't go astray on you and them pick up the pace a bit...you know slow is still the way to go;)

I think you must have a camera on me. You hit the nail on the head, I was in a rush and started off a way to quick.
    You are dead right

SLOW IS THE WAY TO GO

Taking on Anne advice today Slow was the name of the game

5K (Lunch time) in 24 mins

Nice easy run, just kept the pace nice and relaxed sure it was a grand day for it.

5k (afternoon)

No watch for this one but again it was nice and easy.

Really starting to feel my fitness level increase and starting to loose a few pounds. Hope to get a run done at lunch tomorrow and then a cycle tomorrow evening. Swim on Friday and a cycle and swim on Saturday

Thursday

5k in 23.36

I wanted to run slow which I felt I was doing but managed to finish it quiet quick maybe it was because the rain.

Friday

600 meters swimming
    All different drills, still trying to break a few bad habits like constant kicking instead of using my arms more. Feel more comfortable in the water now. Was hoping to go for a double session tomorrow 20k cycle, swim, 11k cycle. Legs are very sore and tired from the weeks training.

Today was a double/triple day

Started with 18k cycle in around 48 mins. It was nice and handy for most of the way as I was following someone in front of me.

750 meter swim. Its getting easier Broke it up into sets of 200 which helped keep the motivation.

18k cycle home again. This was much slower then earlier as I was cycling into a headwind all the way and the rain, it was my first real experience of cycling is such ****e weather and I kind of liked it . Today was a good test considering it was my first attempt at doing one event after another.

Legs are dead now,looking forward to a day off tomorrow before it all starts all over again on Monday:):):)

5k run (lunch) - 22.53

This was much to fast and I didn't feel like I was running that quick but I had the wind at my back for most of the way around.

Swim 700 meters

At least I think it was 700 meters was aiming for 750 but I lost count once or twice. I'm alot more comfortable in the water now and don't panic at all. Time was around 23/24 minutes and at that I was not under pressure at any stage.

What a lovely day for a run

Started off with the wind at my back nice and handy pace but felt like I was going a lot quicker but sure I couldn't help it and that's where the nice part ends. I turned the corner as usual to run up the hill it was unbelievable it felt like I was in the middle of a hurricane got half way up the hill and just said feck it and went home.

Weak I know but I will make up for it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Great progress on the swimming Dave, sounds like you are starting to enjoy it...I'm jealous! Glad to see you are still taking Anne's slow running advice to heart :D

Banner Slow is where its at these days. All the cool kids are doing it

Swimming is much better once I can get the time down a bit I would be happy

• Advertisement

Lunchtime

4k run forgot the watch today so no time to report. Everything was going great had the wind at my back until I got to the bottom of the hill and then I was caught in torrential rain and wind. I was so cold when I finished my legs were bright red

After work

1000 meter swim

Started off with 100 warm up. Then I did 2 sets of 200 and 1 x 350. Then jumped into the steam room for a while, before finishing off with 150 cool down.

That's the best I have felt about myself in a long time. Feel like I passed a big barrier today. Need to spend a bit more time on the bike one day a week just wont cut it.

The past weeks event in Boston has put things into perspective. How easy something so good could be turned to **** in a matter of seconds.

17K Cycle. Had a nightmare start to the day with a flat wheel. Ended up trying to catch the lad that was with me after he got a 4k start made for a good time trial.

1k swim. Broke it up into 400 & 350 and 250. The last set was done after a brief break in the Jacuzzi. Managed the full 750 meters in 22 minutes which is a new pb. I'm getting quicker

17k cycle home. Very uneventful. Legs were very tired but still enjoyable especially in the lovely weather

Just an easy 750 meter swim at lunch time today.Who ever thought I would be saying that. Got it done in 22 minutes. Plenty of room for improvement hoping to have the swim down to around 18 minutes.

With 5 weeks to go until Athy I'm going to up the training a small bit for the next couple of weeks.

5k run in 24.25

Just a nice handy run today, just trying to concentrate more breathing and staying relaxed.

800 meter swim

Warm up 100 meters, 3 sets of 200 and 100 cool down. During the last set of 200 I developed this awful pain in my shoulder as I rotated my arm its still sore now but been a man I ignored it and carried on swimming. I'm hoping it just a case of been over used considering I have not done this much training in years

Going to give it a rest tomorrow and head out on the bike instead.

Was supposed to head out for a cycle last night but I was looking for excuses all day not to go as I was not feeling great and as soon as I got home it started light raining and that was the end to the cycle plans. But in hindsight my body badly needed a rest and I felt much better this morning.

Lunch time swim.
    Got to the pool just before I hoped in I went to get my goggles and I had left them at home. Feck it I will try it without them. Swam 2 lengths and it was not happening, so back out of the pool and head to reception to see had they any spares. Got a set, back in the pool but at this stage only had a short while left so I just swam don't know how far I got.

Great auld weather out there today.

17k cycle into the pool, took this very handy as I wanted to push for a quick time on the way home.

750 meter swim. Broke it up into 3 sets. Still having pain in my left shoulder every time I try and pull the water back. Have a hot water bottle on it now will try it again on Monday and see how it goes.

My main aim for today was the cycle home I was treating it as the same I will do on the day. 18k cycle done in 40.05 really worked hard and kept the head down. Had a close eye on the watch trying to keep my speed as close 2 ish minute per K as I could, I know I can go a bit quicker in a race situation at least another 2 mins.

I'm delighted with today really feel that I have taken a massive step forward especially on the bike.

32 days out and the fair is starting to hit me.

750 meter swim at lunchtime. Shoulder was not as bad but still a bit sore. Did do a good warm up which probably helped a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

5k seems to be your standard run distance, would an idea be to up that to 7k or 8k as on race day you'll only be doing 5k and you'll have longer in your system on a regular basis and you'll find the 5k easier...........just an idea ( same with swim & cycle )

But keep up the good work and make sure to say hello in Athy. I'll be the noisey one on the mic:cool:

Cheers. Funny enough I was thinking the same lately just was not putting into practice but you are dead right. Might do a 10k race on Sunday so if I get another 7/8 k run that would be a start and for then on all runs will be over will be 7 or 8 k. I should be able to do the same with the swimming and cycling starting tomorrow.

5k run, didn't manage to get a time as garmin was all over the place but as Elvis said I need to up the distance for the next couple of weeks.

875 meter swim. Broke it up into 4 sets of 200 and a 75 cool down. Felt great until the cool down when I got this horrible cramp in my leg had to eventually just give up. I know what the problem was I didn't drink enough water after running especially it been a humid enough day.

To the end the day of on a ****e note I only went and lost my wallet. Whoever finds it wont get rich of me anyway

• Advertisement

Quick 22km spin this evening the lovely weather making it much easier to get out there. Got it done in 48 minutes. Must get the front wheel checked seemed to be a wobble while cycling but then again maybe it was the rough surface. The bike could do with a complete check before Athy

Advertisement