Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Thursday

7k run in 35.08

Tough enough run kept the pace decent and steady (by my standards).

970 meters swim

Good old session that. Taking Elvis words on board I am upping the length of each session just a tad. By the end of this one the heavy legs were setting in but managed to finish just in time.

Not sure what I will do this weekend either do two bike sessions and a swim or do a 10k race. I swaying more towards the swimming as that's what needs the most work, I will just play it by ear and see what the weather throws up

Bit of a mix bag of training this weekend didn't end up doing the 10k in the end.

Sunday

18 km cycle a bit of a stop start affair didn't break any land speed record just took it nice and easy.

800 meter swim

750 meters done in 20 minutes. 50 cool down

18k cycle home in 41.38. This was a lot faster then I thought it seemed like I was taking it handy enough.

Spent the rest of Sunday & Monday putting together a wardrobe, I hate flat pack stuff, seems like red face wife is nesting which is not looking good for me.

Also noticed that the sprint race in Athy is not starting until 17.30 and that has my head wrecked. 100's of questions flying around my head. What to do all day?? What to eat???

7k run in 35.39

Legs felt very heavy today just could not get them going, did not enjoy it one bit just wanted it to finish as soon as possible.

1000 meter swim

Was not looking forward to it after the running but it needed to be done. Actually quiet enjoyed it. Broke it up into 3 sets
    360, 390 & 250. Felt great the first 750 was done in 20 mins and just took my time with the rest.

5K run in 25 mins

Very windy out there today so I took the easy way out and ran with the wind at my back for the last half. Nothing more to report.

Swimming

Cant give a correct total because there was loads of kids in the pool getting lessons. Instead of using the main part of the pool they used both the lane and the main part so it was a stop start kind of thing. I did manage to get two sets done. One was 20 lengths and the other was 14 lengths so I reckon I got done around 700/750 meters.

What do I need to get for Athy??? Must get a race belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

When is Athy?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What do you have?

Trisuit
    Belt
    Wetsuit
    Hat goggles
    Lubricant
    Bike
    Track pump
    Tools and tubes
    Shoes
    Helmet
    Glasses
    Nutrition
    Run shoes
    TI licence
    Hardass attitude

Think thats it :)

Dory its 3 weeks tomorrow. Mixed emotions about it:eek::eek:

Oryx have about 5 things on your list, I may get cracking this weekend. Hardass attitude cant seem to find it online anywhere, any idea where to get it.

What's the best lubricant or would baby oil do the job????

Headed out this morning ready to give the legs a good old spin. It lasted for about 2 km until I hit the worst headwind ever, I was hoping to do 20 km but I had to give up and take the short cut. So I only managed 10k

Swimming went brilliant today. Managed 1,296 meters

Broke it up into 3 (360 meters) sets trying to keep the time between 7 - 8.50 minutes.
    Then did 10 sprints with 10 seconds rest between each. Finished with a couple of cool down lengths I'm trying to learn the breaststroke and its not working out too good my coordination is shocking.

Cycled home after swimming another 10k went much better because the wind was at my back.

Breaststroke is a very hard stroke to learn...timing and coordination can make your head spin.

Oryx or one of the others is best suited to answer the lubricant question, but I always use body glide (comes in a deodorant looking container) and it does a nice job for me. And don't be stingy with body surface, trust me, hit it all!!! ;)

3 weeks....and you'll be grand. Just go and have some fun - that's what this is all about any way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

From what I know anything petroleum based is not great for your wetsuit, including aftershave. Better off going with Dory's recommendation of body glide, shouldn't do any damage to your wetsuit and will help with getting it off. Try practising taking it off too, before my first race I got into the bath in it to get it wet and then got out of it to see what it was like, nice to practice it before the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

I ways use ky jelly as a lube on the cuffs and neck of my wetsuit. I also put a large dollop across the back of my neck to prevent wetsuit burn. Never had any issues with it. For long swims I sometimes use Vaseline on the back of my neck.

Thanks for all your help, I think I have some body glide somewhere. Just another quick question for ye :):)

Which goggles do ye use for OP swimming my current ones are starting to let in some water so need an upgrade.

Tuesday

Have been struggling with a sinus infection since Saturday so nothing done until today. 950 meters swim done. Starting to like the swimming broke it up into two set of 24 lengths and then 4 breaststroke lengths.

Sorry for all the questions,ye are a great help. Thanks

I'm not sure what OP swimming means....to me it means Ocean Pacific, but I doubt that's what you mean. And once again, I am a neophyte when it comes to anything triathlon/open water swimming, but all my goggles are Speedo brand - pool style is Vanquisher (mirrored in pink), and my open water goggles are a triathlon style because I like the wider peripheral vision it affords, and it is similar to this - http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18941926&kwCatId=&kw=triathlon+goggles&origkw=triathlon+goggles&sr=1

Sorry Dory meant to write open water and not op my mind must have been on work.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

ok from my 15 minutes of experience, i have aquashere kayennes and i had no bother with them at all, find them very good in the pool as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

woody1 wrote: »
    ok from my 15 minutes of experience, i have aquashere kayennes and i had no bother with them at all, find them very good in the pool as well..

I got them last year and the bloody leaked on the Lost Sheep:mad: before that and since then i've been using Aldi's finest on the advice of my swim coach and they are brillant. 3.99 a pair and the pair i have are over a year old and are still going strong. They are in there tomorrow and i'm buying a few pairs to stock pile !

Antifog solution is worthwhile for goggles too.

Someone recommended silcocks base as a lubricant the other day. Haven't tried it yet but if it works its cheap as chips.

Oryx wrote: »
    Antifog solution is worthwhile for goggles too.

Someone recommended silcocks base as a lubricant the other day. Haven't tried it yet but if it works its cheap as chips.

Or spit:p

Thanks for all the suggestions I'm not sure which ones to try. Aldi is looking good:D

Wednesday

Still not feeling 100% so give the running a miss and just headed to the pool instead. 1,152 meter swim.

Broke it up into sets off 24, 20 & 10 lengths and to finish it off I did 12 lengths of some sort of breaststroke. Its not pretty but I will get there:P

Friday

Swam 1,230 meters. Finally feel like I can swim and not so much a whale splashing about.
    Timed the first 750 in 17 minutes the rest were done at a steady pace. Finished with 6 lengths of breaststroke.

Saturday

19 miles cycle in 1 hour

Felt really good maybe the few days not running this week helped. I am starting to think about getting a new bike for next year already but I suppose everyone thinks the same

• Advertisement

Just a quick 800 meter swim at lunch. Trying to structure a good training week this week really want to make a strong final push. I don't know do you do a taper in the lead up to a triathlon or is there a need.

Monday - swim
    Tuesday - run & swim
    Wednesday - Cycle & run
    Thursday - run & swim
    Friday - rest
    Saturday- cycle
    Sunday - swim

5K run

Good run,its so nice to be running with a bit of warm air blowing into your face. Kept the pace nice and steady but not to fast. Finished it in 24 mins.

1,260 meter swim.

First 750 meters done in well under 18 mins and then 360 meters concentrating on technique. I have a habit of pulling away my left hand to quick. The rest of the lengths were a mixture of breaststroke and freestyle should have cooled down more legs are very tired and left calf is tight

Hope to do a brick session tomorrow on the bike and run.

Crash Boom Bang:(

Well it happened, I had my first fall. My own fault not paying enough attention.

Was finishing my spin took my eye of the road to stop the garmin didn't realise I was so close the curb, hit the brakes straight into the curb over the bike onto stone flowerpots, over the flowerpots onto the path and then for good measure bike lands on top of me.

Lucky enough only have a few bumps and bruises, shoulder is quiet sore but I fell on it and I'm not a small man.

Bike is not good. On first look front wheel is fecked and breaks are bent in the ways, i think the chain is not good either. She will need a trip to the shop

The screen on the garmin is broken and worst of all is a good dent in my pride it happened across the road from my house. But at least I'm not dead or broken anything I live to fight another day.:D:D:D

Unlucky! Sorry to hear about the damage but at least its the kind of thing you can easily fix. Better the bike than you.

God grant you no greater harm as mammy would say.

Very wise words from Mammy. Thanks Oryx

Ohhhhhh.....so, so sorry. :(

Crash Boom Bang:(

Well it happened, I had my first fall. My own fault not paying enough attention.

Was finishing my spin took my eye of the road to stop the garmin didn't realise I was so close the curb, hit the brakes straight into the curb over the bike onto stone flowerpots, over the flowerpots onto the path and then for good measure bike lands on top of me.

Lucky enough only have a few bumps and bruises, shoulder is quiet sore but I fell on it and I'm not a small man.

Bike is not good. On first look front wheel is fecked and breaks are bent in the ways, i think the chain is not good either. She will need a trip to the shop

The screen on the garmin is broken and worst of all is a good dent in my pride it happened across the road from my house. But at least I'm not dead or broken anything I live to fight another day.:D:D:D

Ah well;) Now tell me, when you got up which did you check 1st you or the bike ??

Everyone has that 1st fall, i have a small scar where mine happened. I consider it a war wound. It least you know now that you have to concentrate 100% on the bike !

Oh and i bet yer man in the bike shop will be rubbing his hands together !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

oohh Dave i hope you're not too sore today...mind yourself....don't mind the bike, it can be fixed.

I'm still alive but very sore. Shoulder is stiff my left leg is black and blue with one or two cuts. But the worst is the road rash each time I move something get stuck to it and it pulls.

Now onto the bike it turns out its not as bad. A friend with more knowledge of bikes then me had a look at. Breaks needed to be pulled back out. Need a new front tyre, like myself the bike also has a few bumps but all in all we are not to bad.

Anyone know where I could get the glass on the garmin fixed???

Wednesday

Didn't get the brick session finished but I did manage 20k cycle in 45mins. Felt brilliant until the last 10 seconds.

• Advertisement

Ah well;) Now tell me, when you got up which did you check 1st you or the bike ??

Everyone has that 1st fall, i have a small scar where mine happened. I consider it a war wound. It least you know now that you have to concentrate 100% on the bike !

Oh and i bet yer man in the bike shop will be rubbing his hands together !

I cant actually remember, it may have been my shoulder but the bike was not long after it.

Trust me next time it will be getting my full 100% concentration

Advertisement