Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

You will not defeat me

30k on the bike

Didn't even look at the time but it took a good while. Today was more about getting my arse back in the saddle. Very happy with how it went. Legs are feeling fresh after.

I was hoping to do swim Athy in the morning but the legs and hands still have a couple of open wounds and I would be afraid of getting infected plus I would scare the **** out of the other competitors the legs are a black, blue, green & yellow.

Today was the first day I have felt in good form since last Wednesday.

Needed to bring the bike into the shop for a mini service so I decided since I have missed a brick session and a swim I would do a mini triathlon and take a half day from work and see what shape I was in.

Swim

750 meters in 16 minutes

First time I have constantly swam for the full 750 meters no breaks at all. Felt great after it.

3kms run

After swim changed into running gear, with gear bag on back ran 3ks not sure how quick it was but it felt decent.

18kms cycle home

Finished it in 42 minutes didn't really over do it but didn't hold back to much. Still not 100% confident on the bike but should be good for the weekend

Overall

Very happy with todays training, The only thing I am freaking out about is the lack of open water swim training but fingers crossed I should be okay once I have a couple of warm up minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Is your race Saturday or Sunday?? I'm excited for you!!! Just make sure you enjoy all of it, including the OW swim. :)

Cheers Dory I'm kind of excited myself or is it nervous not sure. Its on Saturday don't think its starting until the evening so it will be a long day until it starts

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cheers Dory I'm kind of excited myself or is it nervous not sure. Its on Saturday don't think its starting until the evening so it will be a long day until it starts
    Are you going to be up there to watch the other races?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Are you going to be up there to watch the other races?

I was hoping to get there for a look at some of the Olympic race but considering I'm in Wave 7 and wont be starting until near 6 I will probably leave until closer the briefing.

5k run (still no garmin)

Lovely day for it, just took it nice and handy. Didn't want to push it to hard just a gentle workout.

I hope to go for a quick spin on the bike tomorrow and then on Friday go for a short 15 minute swim. Have not been able to swim since Monday as I opened a wound from last week and I need these to heal before Saturday.

Other then that I'm feeling great, loads of energy and ready for the off on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

You all ready ?

You all ready ?

Kind of, Looking forward to it, a bit nervous but that's not a bad thing. Will call over to ya to say hello.Had a small problem with my front derailleur this evening but good auld google sorted that out

Once I can get out of the water I will be sound.

It's nearly go time! Whoop whoop!! Have fun tomorrow and I can't wait to read your report! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

good luck with it dave

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck t'ya hope it goes well!

Thanks all. I'm a bit nervous and excited, just looking forward to doing my first triathlon. Meant to go for a swim today just not enough time. The report probably wont be until Sunday as I hope to head for a few well deserved pints after.

Back from registration got a new pair of Aqua Spheres goggles. Must get my ass in gear and get some bits together.

Onto more important news only 10 weeks left until baby red face arrives.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck Dave, hope it all goes really well for you and that you enjoy it. Looking forward to reading all about it.....

I'm alive. What a brilliant day. I am so so tired. The swim was ok, bike was good and run was tough. No times yet because I had no watch but lets just say it wont be my last triathlon. Only managed 3 pints and I had to come home

Full report when I get the times

TriAthy 2013

Got there in plenty of time just wanted to relax and get my bearings, had a good chat with the lad beside me took my mind of things for a while.

Swim (13.23)

Was very nervous waiting for the start and then Wave 7 was called and it was game time. I knew it was going to be cold but didn't realise how cold it actually was. Took my breath away and struggled to move for a minute. Did a quick warm up and then it was go time. No problems with bumps because I was at the back of the wave. Only 100 meters in and my new goggles decide to start to fog up. I just said feck it, keep going. Started to pick a few people off and then we turned the corner. I was hitting peoples legs they were hitting my arms and head. I loved it this is what triathlon was about. Pulled away then from those lads and headed for the bridge, a bit of tiredness started to hit me and next minute I knew I was over at the side of the bank probably lost a minute trying to get back into the middle. Under the bridge and up onto the finish with a big smile on my face.

T1 (3.13)

Ripped the wetsuit of but my feet were so cold I could not put on my socks so just went with the runners which turned out to be a bad idea on the run.

Bike (42/43mins still waiting on correct split)

Bike was grand hit the first 5k and I could swear it should have read 10k. I was passing plenty of people out but also the lads on the good bikes were passing me out handy enough. There were a few little inclines but they were grand. Turned at the 10k mark. Passed alot more then passed me on the last 10k. The bike still does not sound how I would like it. Its amazing how a few small changes to my bike could save me a couple of more minutes (wheels and aero bars)

T2 (1.20)

Just racked the bike and legged it

Run 28.39

Worst part of the day. Legs were very heavy starting off had a rough 1st K then settled into it for 2&3 and then that's where the problems started. My feet were in bits blisters on both feet and the surface was not helping. The run route I didn't like one bit its a shame that you have quicker lads coming behind you because you feel you have to be making way for them to get by. That's all just an excuse my running was just not quick enough I should have been able to run at least a 25 minute 5k.

Overall 1.29

Delighted I finished my first triathlon, I'm sore and tired but it was worth it I have a couple of blisters that I will have to deal with and the side of the runners have blood on them. I hope to do Ballina triathlon in a month. I think the bug may have got me. A couple of small changes and I could knock at least 5 minutes of the next day. Also need to do plenty of brick sessions help with the shaky legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Well done. Having the swim done will stand to you don't know if anyone's ever had a good run in athy.

Time to get back onto the saddle the salmon run triathlon is 4 weeks away.

28kms in 1.02

Just took it nice and handy today all I wanted to do is just stretch the legs out. Went for a fairly flat route but turned out not so flat with one big monster hill probably only a small incline for most of ye. Lovely weather for a spin.

Heading away to Kinsale for a couple of days tomorrow so might only get a few swims and one run done, Cant wait for the break.

Congrats on your first tri!! Woo hoo!! And one of the best things about your report is that it's apparent that you enjoyed the day - that is so awesome. And, sounds like you learned a few things too that will serve you well in future tris. Keep up the good work!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Dave, the first of many completed no doubt. Glad you enjoyed it and you're looking forward to the next one already!!

• Advertisement

Fair play, was i talking to you. I was chatting to that many people i can't remember:o

I hope you'll be around on Aug 31 to do out 7k or 10k in Port !

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Congrats on your first tri!! Woo hoo!! And one of the best things about your report is that it's apparent that you enjoyed the day - that is so awesome. And, sounds like you learned a few things too that will serve you well in future tris. Keep up the good work!! :D

I really enjoyed it especially the swim when everyone was trying to turn the corner they were hitting me and likewise. I even turned around and said "sorry" :D:Dat one stage. It was tough in particular the last 100 meters and then the fun of trying to get out of the wetsuit and the drama of trying to get the socks on.
    I was wondering why everyone were putting talc in their socks and shoes it make sense now.

Now all I need to know is how to get quicker.
    Any suggestions will be taken on board.

Fair play, was i talking to you. I was chatting to that many people i can't remember:o

I hope you'll be around on Aug 31 to do out 7k or 10k in Port !

Was chatting to you alright but I think the two of us were fairly tired. Aug 31st is in the diary but I cant confirm anything yet due to the impending arrival.

Well done the last day you made for a pleasant distraction while waiting to start.

Still on holidays. Not getting much done a mixture of poor diet and a few to many pints is not helping. I did manage to get to the beach yesterday and walked in the sea.

Swim 1000 meters today

Broke it into sets of 200. Felt very sluggish but got it done, home tomorrow and back on the bike on Saturday. Then have four weeks of hard training until Ballina and a 1.25 finish.

Good times are over, time to up my game

With a mixture of the heat and the better half tossing and turning all night it was a very early morning for me. So instead of just wasting it I went for an early spin. The weather was perfect warm but just right with a slight breeze. You would nearly think when reading that last sentence that it should be Dory's log:).

30k in 1.03

First 5k felt great like a new man then the last week overindulging started to hit home. Once I got onto the straight road I was grand again and spinning at a nice rate for me anyway. Then came the hill really had to push hard to get to the top. Finished strong and legs felt fine afterwards. Might try and get out again tomorrow and then concentrate on swimming and running during the week.

30k in 1.01

Headed out mid afternoon today much warmer then yesterday but I am determined to improve at least by a few minutes on the bike for my next race so it had to be done.

Felt much better then yesterday kept a good pace around 25kph. Until I got to the fecking hell it just takes everything out of my legs. Once I composed myself I was grand again and powered on home still a bit nervous from the fall need to let go of the break a bit more.

Back to the swimming tomorrow, cant wait until I get stuck back into the training again.

Back to the pool today after a week.

Managed 1300 meters. Felt really good and breathing was much better then in the river.

Broke it up into 4 sets

180 warm up with gradual intensity level
    360 meters with moderate effort
    360 meters with constant effort
    400 meters concentrating on stroke and position and trying to keep going in a straight line

Good session and legs felt great after.

6k run at lunch (I need a garmin)

As above I have no time to report. Was great everything was fine until the last 1km when I had to pull up with the pain in my knee. Managed to finish but then the pain got worse its still sore now but I have ice on it.
    I have been doing some research I'm like the wife now, we call her Dr. Google:P. It turns out it might be IT band. Cant really afford physio at the moment.

1300 swim after work

Much the same as yesterday. Was lucky I didn't have to use the legs to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

...1 word...well 2 really :D Foam Roller...the IT bands best friend (and calves.glutes and hamstrings...etc etc...

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    ...1 word...well 2 really :D Foam Roller...the IT bands best friend (and calves.glutes and hamstrings...etc etc...

Ya but don't buy a brand name one, they all do the same thing !

Advertisement