Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 The year of the tri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

So you are saying even one from Argos would do the job.

Its a bit better today but still a bit sore to turn.

Knee felt much better today, so I went a tested it out

5k in 25.36 (lunchtime)

It was slow very slow, included in that time was two stretch breaks. I was afraid of pushing to hard just in case of injuring it again. Felt a bit sore when I finished but not to bad. Getting my foam roller tomorrow that will sort things out.

1,512 meter swim.

My longest swim yet. Delighted only a couple of months ago I hated it, thought I would never finish a 750 meter race.

Broke it up into:
    360 meter - 7 minutes
    360 meter - 6 minutes
    360 meter concentrating on stroke and position (still pulling my left hand away to quickly)
    360 meter just swimming no idea of time
    72 meter cool down.

Felt great after, was a little tired but nothing to mad.

Bad weekend for training. Since Thursday I took both Friday and Saturday off training. Lack of motivation this morning but eventually I got my act together and head out on the bike.

30k in 1.01.35

Nice day when I eventually got my ass in gear. I'm trying to incorporate a few sprints into each cycle. Still not getting much quicker. The hill nearly killed me again. Have a problem with the bike,its not changing to the big ring on the gears. 3 weeks left until my next race so need to push hard these next two and make training count.

Just a quick 1000 meter swim. Only had a sort lunch today.

First 750 was done in 13.00 minutes. The rest were done just missing about alternating between freestyle and a bad breaststroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Bad weekend for training. Since Thursday I took both Friday and Saturday off training. Lack of motivation this morning but eventually I got my act together and head out on the bike.

30k in 1.01.35

Nice day when I eventually got my ass in gear. I'm trying to incorporate a few sprints into each cycle. Still not getting much quicker. The hill nearly killed me again. Have a problem with the bike,its not changing to the big ring on the gears. 3 weeks left until my next race so need to push hard these next two and make training count.

Whats up next ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

30k in an hour in training is good going, looking back at jan / feb you were doing 25 and 26k in an hour.. dont think i could hold 30km hr for an hour... fair play

6k run at lunch

Nothing special today, great weather so just took it nice and easy. Knee seems to be grand again (strange).

1500 meter swim

Sets:

360 meters - 6.00 minutes
    360 meters - all about the stroke and body position and kick.
    432 meters just freestyle

Whats up next ?

I'm hoping to do the Ballina triathlon in 3 weeks. Its my home race so should be a good weekend. Other then that I cant plan anything but I hope to do the Nass one in September.

Cheers Woody, I would love to get my time down to under 40 minutes for 20k. Heading out with a competitive cyclist tomorrow night to see can I get any tips of him. I do all of my cycling on my own so will be good to head out with someone for a change

I would love to get my time down to under 40 minutes for 20k. Heading out with a competitive cyclist tomorrow night to see can I get any tips of him. I do all of my cycling on my own so will be good to head out with someone for a change

same as that , if i got 39 59 in ballina id be happy but not doing half enough cycling so its hard to see it happening, i did a little bit for gaelforce last year with a friend thats way faster than me and just trying to keep up with him for the 4 or 5 spins brought me on a lot.. its to easy to back off a bit when your on your own..

woody1 wrote: »
    its to easy to back off a bit when your on your own..

That's exactly it. I'm hoping that a couple of spins will help a small bit. We will have to meet up at the race or after it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

6k run at lunch

Nothing special today, great weather so just took it nice and easy. Knee seems to be grand again (strange).

1500 meter swim

Sets:

360 meters - all about the stroke and body position and kick.
    432 meters just freestyle

Your swim progress over the last few months has been phenomenal - well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

How is the knee coming along? Just caught up on your log today, your quite similar to myself, I completed my first triathlon on Saturday nd my knee was injured after it. Dr google told me to invest in a foam roller too! Well done on that great swim time.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Your swim progress over the last few months has been phenomenal - well done!!

Thanks Griffin, I had to really work hard on it. I still need to work on my stroke and get loads more open water training. Hope next year to do the Olympic and to join a club

Nappy: Thanks,the knee is alright still get pains in while running but not as bad as last week. Has the triathlon bug caught you as well:D. Do you have a log?. Don't talk to me about Dr. Google mine is sitting beside me:)

Wednesday 6k run at lunch

Very warm today. Just took it nice and easy didn't break any speed records but I got it done. Was in good mood until the LA LA LA song came into my head. My album off the month is Major Lazer well worth a listen and is keeping me going lately

40k Cycle (pm)

No time to report as it was a stop start affair but its time in the saddle that I need. Slower then I would have like but we were doing alot of chatting. Couple of hills but nothing to crazy.

Struggled the first 20k it was a mix of the heat and running earlier. The second 20 was much easier. It was nice training with someone for a change the time just flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Yes i'm completely hooked now that I've completed the first. I'm resting the knee and hoping it will heal up and I'll be ok for another sprint in late July. I might start a log once recovered.

Nappy wrote: »
    Yes i'm completely hooked now that I've completed the first. I'm resting the knee and hoping it will heal up and I'll be ok for another sprint in late July. I might start a log once recovered.

You should start one, they are a great bunch here. I have pestered them for a while now and they never give out:P:P

6k run at lunch

Another warm day, don't get me wrong I love the heat but its the dead heat that kills me.
    Legs were heavy today seemed like they had no interest in running again. Anyway I hit the road after the first 2k the sweat was just rolling of me but I was enjoying it and got into a nice rhythm. Was wrecked when finished but got it done.

1,116 swim

Feeling very tired after the run. I hit the pool. I was going well until I stopped to have a chat and that was it, the last few days training just hit me and the body had enough. Legs and body were done for.

Good week training. Sunday - Thursday.

70k - cycling
    18k - running
    3.7k - swimming

I may have the day off work tomorrow but that makes no difference to the wife, I have to be up early and start the painting:rolleyes:

Cheers Woody, I would love to get my time down to under 40 minutes for 20k.

by the way the bike course for ballina is long , pretty much 21k, so if your sub 40 youve had a savage ride :) and if your just over its nothing to worry about ..

Bloody hell I didn't know about it been a 21k cycle false advertisement:) . I suppose it makes up for the down stream swim. Are you all set for it?????

I may get those go faster wheels:)

getting there.. full trial run tomorrow evening.. so river swim bike route and run route.. dont know if il do the bike and run as ive done them both before a few times but the river swim will be interesting ..

• Advertisement

Not much done this weekend not unless I can count painting, moving furniture and hanging things (I think they call it nesting)

1,620 meter swim

360 - warm up in around 7 minutes
    360 - 80% effort in 6 minutes
    360 - 100% effort not sure how quick as I didn't time it but I may have broken a world record.
    360 - concentrating on body position and stroke
    180 - cool down

Felt great after and not to tired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Okay...so I'm assuming you are swimming in an 18 meter pool?? Which, from my perspective, makes me wonder why they didn't just construct it/measure it as a 20 yard pool and be done with it?? It would be so much easier and neat-and-tidier from a math and rounding point of view. ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay...so I'm assuming you are swimming in an 18 meter pool?? Which, from my perspective, makes me wonder why they didn't just construct it/measure it as a 20 yard pool and be done with it?? It would be so much easier and neat-and-tidier from a math and rounding point of view. ;):)

Ya i swim in the same pool but i have all the distances/lengths in my head, 500m, 750m, 1k, 1500, 2k etc.

Dory Dory wrote: »

I think the same, everyday I'm in there and its not that they are short of space either side. I just work of 20 length sets and hope for the best :D

5k run in 23.30

Great run today, felt fresh and had plenty in the tank when I finished. First day back running with the garmin it was good to keep an eye on the pace and slow it down when needed.

1,188 meter swim

Just a quick swim nothing to mad today. I may have managed my quickest 360 meter so far it was definitely under 6 minutes. Finished off today with 6 lengths of breaststroke which is coming along slowly

What a disaster of a day.

Had to make an emergency appointment with the dentist today. Now I hate and I mean HATE the dentist. I could not eat all day with the nerves. I was not even this bad before TriAthy

Didn't have much energy when I came home and needed to head for a cycle.

15km in 32 minutes.

Just wanted it over I was hungry and tired. Was surprised to see how quick I had gone well quick for me anyway must have been my new shorts. Hoping to do a trial run on Sunday (26km TT) and see how I get on

6k run

Legs were heavy after last few days. Wanted to time the 5k and cool down for the last one. Managed to finish the 5k in 23.55 with plenty in the tank.

1,260 swim

Just used this as a recovery swim with no emphasis on time. Split it into 3 sets of 20 and one 10.

Only one week until my next triathlon, looking forward to it, bike is back in the shop this weekend needs a new cable still having issue with the gears.

Saturday

Just a slow run in the morning. Nothing exciting

Sunday (Brick session)

26k cycle

Got the bike fixed yesterday, so I was ready to hit the road. Was hoping to do this as a TT but I forgot to start the clock, so instead I concentrated on keeping my speed at a constant pace. First 13k was great kept an average pace of 29.5kph then turned around and headed for home. This was a different story I had the wind in my face for the whole way home, pace dropped only could manage to keep it at 25kph had to really work hard.

22 minute run

Just dropped the bike and off I went. Kept a decent pace and I felt great. First time I have felt so comfortable running in a long time.

hi dave
    definitely starts at 4..

• Advertisement

Cheers Woody. What will be the story with the tide are we looking at walking down the river??

Are you excited???? The weather looks like it might be decent enough also.

Advertisement