Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Firearms Permit

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I was talking to someone at the weekend and he was telling me that from January this year the PSNI are allowing visitors from the South to travel into the North with a European Firearms pass instead of the Northern permit. Has anybody heard anything like this? It would make perfect sense if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I saw it on the news segment of one of the British shooting programmes alright. Waiting for confirmation from folks in NI, but if it's true, that's absolutely fantastic. Have emailed PSNI firearms department so will report back when I hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

Now i feel like an idiot sense i just sent away permit 4 days ago, think i might get a refund? :)

I saw it on the news segment of one of the British shooting programmes alright. Waiting for confirmation from folks in NI, but if it's true, that's absolutely fantastic. Have emailed PSNI firearms department so will report back when I hear from them.

What shooting programme did you hear it from???

I can't remember to be honest. Don't think it was Fieldsports Britain. Might be The Shooting Show? Was on Youtube anyway.

I can't remember to be honest. Don't think it was Fieldsports Britain. Might be The Shooting Show? Was on Youtube anyway.

Thanks, i always watch Feildsports Britain but never the shooting show so i better take a look. Thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah, it got a mention on the news segment, but there weren't any real details beyond the facts. Hopefully hear back soon from PSNI firearms though. Would make such a difference not to need visitor's permits.

Shire keep us posted when you get the e-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 33 averagefox

heres the piece @ 11 mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ww0mex8QHA

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

I believe you will still need a visitors permit, the only change is that you will not have to send your original europass, just a copy of all the pages...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I believe you will still need a visitors permit, the only change is that you will not have to send your original europass, just a copy of all the pages...

This is what I have had to do.
    It's a little easier as you keep the Europass at home

• Advertisement

Looks like you're right there lads.
    Thankyou for your email of 7 January, 2013.

I wish to advise you that if you are intending to come to Northern Ireland to shoot or are just travelling through Northern Ireland, you still need a Visitor's Permit. You can now send a copy of all pages of your European Firearms Pass instead of your original European Firearms Pass, so this is perhaps where the confusion has occurred.

You will make application in the usual manner for your new Visitor's Permit

It's a shame, but yeah, looks like the only change is that you no longer need to send the original Europass. Had high hopes for the possibility of this facilitating travel for shooters on club guns without their own firearm certs. Looks like that's off the table again, sadly.

Advertisement