Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee Hive Construction

• 08-01-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could source a sheet of wire mesh for the base of a hive. I am going to build myself several hives this year and wanted to buy a full (8x4) sheet of mesh. Also Do any of the bee keepers out there have an opinion on plastic Queen excluders.
    Thanks Pat..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

sorry I don't know where you would get a varroa mesh for the floor here in Ireland but Thornes sell it from the UK

As for the Plastic Queen Excluder we have no problems with them.easy to clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi lucylu,
    Check out the Irish Beekeepers Federation website http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/

you should get some info there. Mack in Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭patoinsf

Thanks Lucylu
    I will go ahead and try out the plastic excluder. The problem with english suppliers for the varroa mesh is that the shipping costs make it more expensive than buying it in small pieces from the beekeeping suppliers here in Ireland.

Mack in Cavan
    Thanks for the link however I have already looked at most of the beekeeping sites and they only sell mesh in small pieces (enough for one hive) I was hoping to find a supplier that sells full sheets.

Pat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

I know I've seen a roll of mesh in Bee Supplies in Sandyford... www.beesupplies.ie

I don't know if it was for their own plans to build hives or for sale.

Also, once you know the guage of the mesh... I think usuall in holes per inch or similar, any suitable mesh will do so you could try builders suppliers etc. I've read a suggested guage of mesh somewhere but I can't remember where.

Just stumbled across the spec of the mesh listed in a department of agriculture leaflet... They describe it as "#8 Hardware screen (3mesh/cm)". I presume that means 3 holes per centimetre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭patoinsf

Thanks a million for the help.
    I have been talking to some of the lads from the local association and they say they may be able to source some for the club so i will wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Hi patoinsf

When i was looking to move some hives last year i needed something similar to cover the entrance. I managed to find some in B&Q, if i remember correctly, it was 5mm*5mm holes.

The bees could stick their heads out but that was it. It wasnt anything fancy but it did the job. It wasnt that big however and would probably only do the one hive. They may of had bigger sheets (i think i remember seeing the shelf label for it but im not a 100% certain on that)

As for the Queen excluders, i have both plastic and metal and personally i think the metal ones are better. They do get propolis on them but no where near as much as the plastic ones, im constantly scraping the stuff off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

Hi, I've sourced mesh for varroa floors in the past from Graepel in Cork: http://www.graepel.ie/

This was about 4 years ago. They have a woven stainless steel mesh which is pricey, and also a perforated galvanised steel product which would also do the job.

Advertisement