Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi Y'all, what's the best time to visit?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hello, I came here to learn about when to visit and what to see when taking a holiday in your beautiful country.

To be painfully honest, all I know so far is that (from word of mouth in the States) it rains a lot and you don't have any snakes, lol. Sorry, I know that is not much to know but I have to start somewhere. I'm female and my niece and I want to visit but think it would be nice if we came when it was the best time to see the beautiful sites.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so it may be moved shortly.

You can visit any times, but I would say the best time to see Ireland tends to be from April to June - there will be rain, but not so much that it would substantially impair on activities. While it tends to be warmer in summer, it can also be much cloudier and sometimes wetter.

October to February can vary from wet to impossibly wet and the occasional storm could put a downer on things if you are only here for a week or two. It rarely gets exceptionally cold, but when it's wet and around freezing point, it is very energy sapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Thank you very much for your timely reply! If the post is moved I do hope I can find it again, I don't know where it should have been put as I did read the rules before posting.

Thank you again, God bless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

June is usually a good month for seeing the country and travelling around.
    Depending on what you are in to I'd personally avoid Dublin in March for St. Patricks day due to crowds and bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

June or July in my opinion, usually first 2 weeks of June is really sunny. Have u planned what y are going to do and for how long? make sure u take a trip to the west of ireland and to the islands: inishboffin or the Aran islands

Islands sound fun! I'm on the east coast in the States and we do have islands but they don't look anything like your islands ~ your islands from the pic's I've seen look like out of a movie, how beautiful.

June sounds good too, June~July~August is a good time to be gone here since it is so hot where I live.

Thank you too for the heads up on Saint Patrick day, living in a resort area we get enough of that "party time" here so it would be good to miss all that going on.

Is it true that their isn't any snakes in Ireland? They really have a bad rap, the ones that don't bite I like to watch but wouldn't want one for a pet. I'm older now, but as a child my big brother brought them home and we played with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Definitely try to spread your trip to cover both Dublin area and the West/South West Coast - I'd recommend hiring a car however to get the most out of your trip.

Usual suspects for tourists on the West coast are the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare where you can also get a boat to take you to the Aran Islands and Galway. I'd recommend trying out some of the local markets in the Burren area of Clare which is a national park and has neolithic tombs dotted around like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulnabrone_dolmen.

Skellig Michael to the South West (ish) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael is another island where few have visited as it's very remote and also a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Lots of other places worth visiting all over the country but unless you have lots of time you will only see a fraction of them as although it's a small country it does take a while to get around it. Best to plan a few days in a two or three towns/cities and use them as bases.

And yes no wild snakes here (you might get a different reply in the politics forum however).

Lol on the last sentence, I think that applies in most countries! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you've a specific region in mind, then you should try the region-specific forums:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=77

For more general questions, there's the Travel forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

Galway is a good place to base yourself - Its a vibrant uni town with a traditional slant you don't get in Dublin for example.
    You can do day trips from there to the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Connemara, and then on to the Aran Islands.

I gotta admit that this is a biased opinion though as I live there! :p

Other popular places include the Ring of Kerry, Donegal, the Dublin Mountains and in Dublin - the Guinness Storehouse and the Leprechaun Museum.

At the end of the day though it really depends on what interests you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Any suggestions?
    What are you into? Food? Sport? History? Literature? The Arts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement