Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec 63DV Phoneline

Options
  • 08-01-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Hi, just replaced the battery in my Astec 63DV today, all went well and it's working fine again. I found the user guide online and discovered that the alarm can dial telephone numbers when the alarm activates. I'm thinking of setting this up.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect to the phone line? If I run a phone line to the panel does it need a standard RJ11 jack to connect to the Astec or can someone tell me where on the Astec does the phone line connect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

nc6000 wrote: »
    Hi, just replaced the battery in my Astec 63DV today, all went well and it's working fine again. I found the user guide online and discovered that the alarm can dial telephone numbers when the alarm activates. I'm thinking of setting this up.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect to the phone line? If I run a phone line to the panel does it need a standard RJ11 jack to connect to the Astec or can someone tell me where on the Astec does the phone line connect?

You will need engineer access to set up the phone.
    Main line goes into alarm on A/B then back out to the other phones on C/D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks for the reply. So I need the run the phone line into the alarm and back out again rather than using a phone line splitter with a cable from that.

How much would an engineer charge to do this?

Thanks for the reply. So I need the run the phone line into the alarm and back out again rather than using a phone line splitter with a cable from that.

How much would an engineer charge to do this?

There may be a cable in with your alarm cables in the control panel for a phone connection to the main phone point. This would be the first thing to check.
    Setting up the line with priority over other phones in the house is the proper way to do this.
    Price would all depend on what needs to be done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This is usually easier than it sounds. You generally goto the nearest point to the alarm. Then it can be just a matter of using the existing wiring to get the line to the alarm first.

I can get a phoneline run up to the alarm panel no problem as they are both in the same room.

What I'm not sure on is where to connect the phoneline once I take the alarm panel cover off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I can get a phoneline run up to the alarm panel no problem as they are both in the same room.

What I'm not sure on is where to connect the phoneline once I take the alarm panel cover off.

You connect the incoming line to line in (The 2 terminals to the far left)
    And the out going line to phone (The 2 terminals next to the 2 above)

This should help.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Will it still work OK if I just connect an incoming phoneline into the Line ports on the alarm panel?

Our landline is never used, we only have it for broadband so I don't think it needs to be setup with priority over other phones.

It will work. But without line seizure someone ringing your phone or taking the phone off the hook will prevent the alarm calling out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Will it still work OK if I just connect an incoming phoneline into the Line ports on the alarm panel?

Our landline is never used, we only have it for broadband so I don't think it needs to be setup with priority over other phones.

Your welcome.

Yes it will work that way. You should have a filter fitted if there is broadband connected to the line.

• Advertisement

I've a filter already fitted and a spare port on the phoneline splitter so I guess all I need now is some phone cable to run up to the alarm panel, I'll try and set this up over the weekend.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

I've a filter already fitted and a spare port on the phoneline splitter so I guess all I need now is some phone cable to run up to the alarm panel, I'll try and set this up over the weekend.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

Do, any other problems. let us know.

I've ran a phoneline to the box but can't seem to get the Dialer light to turn on. On one end of the phone line I crimped the blue & brown wires in the two centre slots on the RJ11 plug and I've tried both combinations of the wires in the Line section on the panel but with no joy.

I've programmed my phone number using FN 8 but when I try a test call using FN 7 the screen displays F9.

:confused:

Do you have a multi meter to check if you have line voltage on the pair @ the panel?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Do you have a multi meter to check if you have line voltage on the pair @ the panel?

I thought stripping the coating from the wire with my teeth was a good idea. There is voltage to the pair on the panel alright!

Sorry. Just read that again. F9? You have not recorded a voice message.
    Do you have the manual?

I have the Astec Integrated Alarm System User Guide. It doesn't mention recording a voice message. How can I do this?

Ill PM you over the manual now. Its on page 40.

I've ran a phoneline to the box but can't seem to get the Dialer light to turn on. On one end of the phone line I crimped the blue & brown wires in the two centre slots on the RJ11 plug and I've tried both combinations of the wires in the Line section on the panel but with no joy.

I've programmed my phone number using FN 8 but when I try a test call using FN 7 the screen displays F9.

:confused:

You will need engineer access to the alarm to set up the voice message for the alarm to ring out.

Thanks for the manual Koolkid. I know what I have to do now to get it working. Looks like my engineer code isn't the default so I'll start off tomorrow by doing a reset then putting the panel into engineer mode and recording the message. I've an old analogue phone here and I've made a cable long enough to reach from the panel to the keypad for recording the message.

Almost there. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the manual Koolkid. I know what I have to do now to get it working. Looks like my engineer code isn't the default so I'll start off tomorrow by doing a reset then putting the panel into engineer mode and recording the message. I've an old analogue phone here and I've made a cable long enough to reach from the panel to the keypad for recording the message.

Hopefully so :D

They are easy enough to default & reprogramme as long as its not engineer locked. PM me who installed it before you default it & I'll see if I can source a code for you.
    Another tip for recording the message is to wire the keypad directly into the panel on a short length of cable.

OK. So did the factory reset, got the panel into Engineer Mode. Green dialer light came on. I was able to record and listen back to my message OK.

I programmed a follow-me number but when I test it I get an F6 error. I can hear the dialler clicking on and off again and the keypad shows C1, C2 and C3 but my mobile doesn't ring and it goes to F6.

The number is correct and I can ring it OK from the house phone.

Programme the number into telephone number 1 first. Command 10 in telecoms

I'm still getting F6 on any number I try (landline or mobile) and I can call these numbers fine from the house phone.

I've also tried another cable between the alarm panel and phoneline and got the same F6.

If I plug a standard analogue phone into the same socket I'm trying to use for the alarm it works fine and I can ring my mobile from it.

If I unplug the phoneline I get a Telecom fault on the keypad after a few seconds.

Not sure what the issue is.

Have you broadband on that line?

Yep, I've broadband.

The line has a DSL Filter on it just after the wall socket with a 3-way splitter going into the phone port on the DSL filter. I've the home phone and the alarm line plugged into the splitter.

The alarm may need a filter. Turn off the modem and try make a test call.

Just tried it with the phoneline from the alarm panel straight into the wall, no DSL filter or broadband modem turned on.

I still got F6 after C1, C2 & C3.

• Advertisement

Try programming a pause before the phone number. Press part before the first digit of the phone number

Advertisement