Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIS is there a way back?

• 08-01-2013 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was a mature student and back in 2010/2011 I started my 4th year in BIS. However due to huge financial pressures at the time (my partner losing his job and me being unable to find a part time one), debt that many wouldn’t consider large became unmanageable.

I should mention that I wasn’t entitled to a grant as my partner had taken a job the year before I started college in Dublin and I moved back to my parents to study so was deemed dependent on them at the time, even though I had my own income up until the final year and they were not assisting me.

I ended up being diagnosed with depression. The situation I was in financially and the fact that there was no hope of any assistance to finish out the degree I longed to complete really got me down. Both my partner and I, both almost 30, ended up living with our parents The light at the end of the tunnel, my final year reached but no way of completing it, just seemed like the end of my world, the end of any opportunity. So I just withdrew into myself and stopped going to college.

2013 tho I am in a much better place in my life emotionally and financially things are improving but I still long to complete my degree. Does anyone know if it is possible to go back and complete my final year? Or do I have to start the course over again? If anyone has any advice or info on going back I’d be really grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Can I ask how much are/were the fees for BIS. Thinking of going back myself.
    All I can say about your question is to contact your department.
    PM, if ypu wish to do so.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I thinks there's a three year grace period you can take before you finish your degree. Im not sure who you could contact. Maybe the ucc admissions office if they can't help you they should be able to point you in the right direction

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There is a three year rule there in BIS, that once you go into fourth year, you have three years to take the final examinations in order to qualify. It does state that exceptions to the rule can be made by the faculty of commerce, but only for serious reasons.

Your best bet is to get in contact with the faculty of commerce or the UCC admissions office. Get a letter from your doctor about being diagnosed with depression, make out the reasons why you couldn't attend final year and see if they will leave you back in next year to complete your degree. Depression is quite a serious illness, and a genuine reason for dropping out imo. Best of luck with it

http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/commerce/com005.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Since you have had medical issues, I would imagine that the university would be able to waive the 3 year rule. You should contact your head of Dept and the Admissions office as soon as you can and explain the situation to them.

Advertisement