Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gym

Options
  • 08-01-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭

Heard a rumour today that they are opening a second gym on campus, and that one will be for students and one for the fee-paying full members.
    The new gym is to be where the old Crunch Fitness was, I'm unsure which gym is for who.
    Anyone else heard anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yes I heard this from Boat Club, I don't think the current gym will be closed to students but rather the new gym will be closed to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I heard they were putting in a high performance gym for the societies to use pretty much. I assume its not for students.

If your very curious then just ask at the desk..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

hypermuse wrote: »
    I heard they were putting in a high performance gym for the societies to use pretty much. I assume its not for students.

The societies with a €10 joining fee? Then sure every student would join!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The societies with a €10 joining fee? Then sure every student would join!

Well you'd only get to use it in the allotted time for the club I'd imagine.

no not for societies sorry.

Cant really remember what I heard but it was along the lines of it being a high performance gym for "elite" athlete clubs. So I guess that means the competitive side of UCD football/rugby I'm guessing. I guess with Leinster rugby out here alot they'd make use of it.

Just what I've heard from someone, don't know their source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I guess with Leinster rugby out here alot they'd make use of it.

Leinster have their own high performance centre over by Newstead, just opened last year. You're probably right about the rest though.

Maybe it's like the little fitness room they had at the squash courts? Or is that still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I think it is for some societies such as football/rugby/rowing/Gaa to use at alotted times.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

If so then this is very good news.

While I am very happy about the free gym, it can get very packed in there (to the point that it negatively affects my workout).

Still wish the pool was more affordable, it looks great but I have only been able to afford to use it a few times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

It's been open since October but it's been kept quiet because turnstiles hadn't been put in yet so there wasn't much checking of whether people were club members or not. It's as well equiped as the main gym for weights but it's tight enough for space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

As far as I heard, the one where Crunch was is now a teams gym - just for UCD sports teams. The Elite Athletes and UCD Sports Scholars have their own high performance gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Private members of the UCD gym will get to use. Handy as there are loads of benches and squat racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

I was up last week and I can tell you that it is so slick. its far oreinted towards serious lifter not the usual idiots that come in and waste time of the fcukin rack and toss dumbells every where, also very few cardio machines so none if those idiots that spend 3hrs on a treadmill :/

proper racks for lifting . deadlift's ,squats and the likes . platforms on the racks too. I swear if I ever see anyone curling in the rack i will flip. If you are one of the people that don't take lifting/exercise seriously and are just there to pass time , or if you are one of those type of girls that come in for the look , do fcuk all and waste time. PLEASE don't come to this new section, PLEASE DON'T RUIN THIS FOR THE REST OF US. Stay in the main gym and do all that cardio and the rest of that sh1t to your hearts content.

The high performance gym is not for any "society" more for students who are great athletes at their sports for example, the ucd rugby u21a or seniors. those are the ones the gym is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

brownlad wrote: »
    I was up last week and I can tell you that it is so slick. its far oreinted towards serious lifter not the usual idiots that come in and waste time of the fcukin rack and toss dumbells every where, also very few cardio machines so none if those idiots that spend 3hrs on a treadmill :/

proper racks for lifting . deadlift's ,squats and the likes . platforms on the racks too. I swear if I ever see anyone curling in the rack i will flip. If you are one of the people that don't take lifting/exercise seriously and are just there to pass time , or if you are one of those type of girls that come in for the look , do fcuk all and waste time. PLEASE don't come to this new section, PLEASE DON'T RUIN THIS FOR THE REST OF US. Stay in the main gym and do all that cardio and the rest of that sh1t to your hearts content.

i thought only private members were allowed use it though?

i thought only private members were allowed use it though?

No bro, its for all students as of the 21st, but if there's enough people it may be closed off and be reserved for selected members. (selected members =people that know how to lift and workout. ) I may come across as an asshole but I've seen so much bull**** people in the main gym last semester that I hope that it is made a selective gym

• Registered Users Posts: 17 reno123

People use a gym for many functions. Lose weight, build muscle strength, rehabilitation from injury. Anyone can use any part of the gym to their own needs and requirements. Join Ironside in Blackrock if you want to be in a gym with serious lifters

reno123 wrote: »
    People use a gym for many functions. Lose weight, build muscle strength, rehabilitation from injury. Anyone can use any part of the gym to their own needs and requirements. Join Ironside in Blackrock if you want to be in a gym with serious lifters

I am not complaining about people that come to the gym to lose weight or build muscle strength rehab etc. Its the idiots that come in and leave the place a mess, its the idiots that come in and spend 30 mins on cable flys , for example im assuming you go to the gym often and are in to lifting, you will have no doubt seen that one guy with the white wife beater and thick rimmed glasses , never smiles and does some sort of ****ed up push ups and then some pull ups . spending about an hour on the apparatus . those are the types im ranting about. , dont be getting all butt hurt bro

reno123 wrote: »

also if u want to give me 400 euro for membership i will gladly go and join ironside :) .

What gives you the right to judge what other people do in the gym?

Perhaps you should join a serious gym, for serious people who want to do serious squats. Get over yourself

tumblr_m2nzyikO9q1qi2b5no1_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I am not complaining about people that come to the gym to lose weight or build muscle strength rehab etc. Its the idiots that come in and leave the place a mess, its the idiots that come in and spend 30 mins on cable flys , for example im assuming you go to the gym often and are in to lifting, you will have no doubt seen that one guy with the white wife beater and thick rimmed glasses , never smilesand does some sort of ****ed up push ups and then some pull ups . spending about an hour on the apparatus . those are the types im ranting about. , dont be getting all butt hurt bro

Didn't think this was a gym requirement! Usually people look worn out. Never noticed anyone smiling.

What gives you the right to judge what other people do in the gym?

Perhaps you should join a serious gym, for serious people who want to do serious squats. Get over yourself

tumblr_m2nzyikO9q1qi2b5no1_400.jpg

im guessing you are one of the wasters in the gym . i dare you to curl in the squat rack ....one cheeky **** m8 i swear !
    Neeson wrote: »
    Didn't think this was a gym requirement! Usually people look worn out. Never noticed anyone smiling.

i am a nice guy, and i when i go to the gym i give a nod of acknowledgement to u if i see you. I tried saying hi because i wanted to help him . but this **** always frowns. so im nt saying to smile 24/7 but common decency

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No bro, its for all students as of the 21st, but if there's enough people it may be closed off and be reserved for selected members. (selected members =people that know how to lift and workout. ) I may come across as an asshole but I've seen so much bull**** people in the main gym last semester that I hope that it is made a selective gym

oh right i didn't know that...is it just where crunch used to be? do ya just scan your card in like last semester and you're off? any bumper plates in there?

I am not complaining about people that come to the gym to lose weight or build muscle strength rehab etc. Its the idiots that come in and leave the place a mess, its the idiots that come in and spend 30 mins on cable flys , for example im assuming you go to the gym often and are in to lifting, you will have no doubt seen that one guy with the white wife beater and thick rimmed glasses , never smiles and does some sort of ****ed up push ups and then some pull ups . spending about an hour on the apparatus . those are the types im ranting about. , dont be getting all butt hurt bro

There is a serious case of snobbery in your original post mate.

Waste time on the rack.
    Just because if takes someone longer to finish a set that works for them doesn't make them a waster. Or just cause someone is squating 60Kg in a rack doesn't mean they have any less reason to use it than you even if you may be able to squat 640Kg like a man! " does he even lift brah"

Idiot that spend 3 hours on a treadmill.
    Seriously? how can you judge someone for that. The mind boggles!!

Type of girls that come in.
    Its a gym for everyone to use. Some girls come in a do exercise that works for them, how do you know they aint aching and sore from their workout? Or maybe they are having an off day... ever had one of them??? you probably haven't coz your serious about the gym.

Just because your limits are set far beyond others or because you've had a pre workout shake and are pumped, does not give you the right to judge what others do in the gym.

oh right i didn't know that...is it just where crunch used to be? do ya just scan your card in like last semester and you're off? any bumper plates in there?

there is 2 powerlifting platforms . and they are to be equipped with bumper plates up to 300kg .
    ye its the same scan card business. the turnstiles downstairs are the same as the new ones, same student card swipe . its where crunch used to have all the cardio equipment

There is a serious case of snobbery in your original post mate.

Waste time on the rack.
    Just because if takes someone longer to finish a set that works for them doesn't make them a waster. Or just cause someone is squating 60Kg in a rack doesn't mean they have any less reason to use it than you even if you may be able to squat 640Kg like a man! " does he even lift brah"

Idiot that spend 3 hours on a treadmill.
    Seriously? how can you judge someone for that. The mind boggles!!

Type of girls that come in.
    Its a gym for everyone to use. Some girls come in a do exercise that works for them, how do you know they aint aching and sore from their workout? Or maybe they are having an off day... ever had one of them??? you probably haven't coz your serious about the gym.

Just because your limits are set far beyond others or because you've had a pre workout shake and are pumped, does not give you the right to judge what others do in the gym.

jeah brah . im not being snobby. my squat isnt 640lol...try 645kg bro jk..

3hrs on a treadmill is not healthy. anything more than one hr is not healthy i **** you not!

pre-workout shake =pump ,HA strong logic/10 .

all im saying is the bull**** needs to stop in the gym. this new spot is a new chance to cut the ppl that for example use **** form to do squats or deads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

People who bench press with the squat rack deserve to have the barbell fall on their head.

The new gym area is called the performance gym and is open to students at all times from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and is opening next Monday. Also, a load more of the free classes for students. Great news in fairness.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152421766590603&set=a.313511135602.329501.286540920602&type=1&theater
    read the blurb below the timetable

Does anyone know what changing rooms are open to Students wishing to use the performance gym when the other gym is only for paying memebers (17.30 - 20.15)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement