Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel UPC to open new contract to avail of offers!

Options
  • 08-01-2013 1:32am

Hey guys, first time poster here.

My current contract with UPC expires at the end of the month. Now I was on the phone with them today, and they basically said that I can have an upgrade to 50mb (i'm on 30) for an extra 3 euro a month. In doing so I would enter into another 12 month contract. On their website, it states that NEW customers can avail of 4 months half price.

On their website, it states that new customers can avail of 4 months half price. My question is, would it be feasible/cost effective to cancel my current contract (when it expires, to avoid cancellation fees) and then make a new one to avail of these offers.

It may be a pipe dream, but if it saves a few bob, why not like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If you were EVER a customer to UPC, Sky, Magnet, or otherwise, you're not entitled to 'new contract' status if you return.

Call Customer Care, ask for the Loyalty Department, and trust me: you won't want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Call Customer Care, ask for the Loyalty Department, and trust me: you won't want to leave.

Say "I'm thinking of leaving UPC". It seems Customer Care HAVE to hear this before they'll transfer you. Then haggle and see how much you can get off them. The more you're spending at the moment the more they'll be willing to give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Exactly this. From haggling:

1 x UPC HD+,
    1 x UPC+ in another,
    Max TV Pack (All channels)
    HD Content
    Unlimited Anytime World Calls
    100Mb Broadband

Runs at €54.50 a month if I recall correctly.
    Massive, massive saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

1 x UPC HD+,
    1 x UPC+ in another,
    HD Content
    100Mb Broadband

Massive, massive saving.

Really??? Are you sure of the all-in price? I don't doubt you at all, but that's a much better deal than I'm getting - hence my question.

I'm not shy about haggling either!;)

I've got UPC+ HD (x1)
    Max TV
    50Mb Wireless bb
    Phone with off-peak free calls (Freetime World)

Paying €68 (varies slightly with the odd chargeable phone-call)

On my bill it shows loyalty discounts etc of €31.

I might have to get back on to them - esp. as I might add another box to the package in the next few months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Have

Max TV
    Multiroom
    HD
    25mb BB

€60 per month! Not bad really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

1 x UPC HD+,
    1 x UPC+ in another,
    HD Content
    100Mb Broadband

:eek:

I should really ring to haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

1 x UPC HD+,
    1 x UPC+ in another,
    HD Content
    100Mb Broadband

Massive, massive saving.

8MB package with Eircom €45 a month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

maximoose wrote: »
    :eek:

I should really ring to haggle

I have the same package, I wonder what kind of deal we could get on this package. 100 approx is steep every month

At the moment I have 25mb broadband, standard UPC box with digital value TV and paying €51 p/m IIRC

Going to ring this evening and see how I get on. Specifically ask for the Loyalty Department?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Hey guys, first time poster here.

My current contract with UPC expires at the end of the month. Now I was on the phone with them today, and they basically said that I can have an upgrade to 50mb (i'm on 30) for an extra 3 euro a month. In doing so I would enter into another 12 month contract. On their website, it states that NEW customers can avail of 4 months half price.

On their website, it states that new customers can avail of 4 months half price. My question is, would it be feasible/cost effective to cancel my current contract (when it expires, to avoid cancellation fees) and then make a new one to avail of these offers.

It may be a pipe dream, but if it saves a few bob, why not like!
    `
    You need to give a month notice

If you try to reopen the account in your name it will require a reconnection fee.
    Cancel it and give a different name and you scheme will work

• Advertisement

At the moment I have 25mb broadband, standard UPC box with digital value TV and paying €51 p/m IIRC

Going to ring this evening and see how I get on. Specifically ask for the Loyalty Department?
    They should offer you HD or at least Multiroom for free!

OK, I rang and got put through to loyalty dept as I said we were planning to cancel and switch to sky. Was basically offered sweet FA.. was offered to move up to the max TV plan and 50mb broadband for €70 p/m (this was after throwing in the "Im a customer for over 5 years now, is there no discount at all?" card and getting a few quid reduction) but would also have to pay €25 for the new box.

So that's €4 cheaper than what the advertised current package offer of €74 a month for max TV, phone and 50mb bb. BUT new customers get 4 months half price. Loyalty me hole!

Cheers for the responses all.

I've never been one for haggling, but with the offers that are floating around here, I think I will have to give it a shot. I'm only with them a year, but I would be as loyal as a labrador for those packages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Cheers for the responses all.

I've never been one for haggling, but with the offers that are floating around here, I think I will have to give it a shot. I'm only with them a year, but I would be as loyal as a labrador for those packages.

when you ask for loyalty department they will ask what its about first
    If its technical they wont transfer you

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    when you ask for loyalty department they will ask what its about first
    If its technical they wont transfer you

So I should just say i'm thinking about leaving?

If you call and you dont get a good deal say youll call back and think about it, the next person may give you a better offer. Dont say you are thinking of leaving, say you want to cancel as Sky and Eircom are giving a better package over all etc etc! Bull**** them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

1 x UPC HD+,
    1 x UPC+ in another,
    HD Content
    100Mb Broadband

Massive, massive saving.

Are you really getting all that for 54.50?

Considering I paid 180 for install last year they may reduce my spend right down.

For anyone trying to haggle, customer acquisition cost is 0 for them to retain you're business for a further 12 months.

I've HD+ Max, 25mb BB, Phone and multiroom along with Sky Sports. Expect to get an extra multiroom and sports in HD for less than 100 judging by you're pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

On the phone with UPC, told them I want to cancel, they passed me through to the loyalty department, currently paying ~€80 month for world Phone, 30M broadband, Max Tv + multiroom.
    Got an upgrade to HD with new HD box, 50M broadband and price reduced to€67.50, so happy out.
    Thanks guys!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aciu

On the phone with UPC, told them I want to cancel, they passed me through to the loyalty department, currently paying ~€80 month for world Phone, 30M broadband, Max Tv + multiroom.
    Got an upgrade to HD with new HD box, 50M broadband and price reduced to€67.50, so happy out.
    Thanks guys!:D
    Not a bad deal at all, how long you are with upc?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

Aciu wrote: »
    Not a bad deal at all, how long you are with upc?

18 months I think, he also offered me sky sports package for an extra €25 but I find with their new broadband speeds I can watch almost everything online anyway, so I'll wait and see before upgrading to sky sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Revilino

I was on-
    Digital Select Extra TV
    − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    − Digital+ HD
    − Sky Sports

It had been costing me 88euro for 12months, but at the end of contract in August UPC increased the price to 98euro and then this month the price was again increased to 103euro.

I rang customer support today, eventually got onto a lady in customer loyalty and pretty much straight away she offered to let me keep my current package for 78euro. Also, she said she would send me out a new router that would allow my broadband speed to increase to 50Mb.

TBH, if they hadn't changed the billed price i wouldn't have rang them! They would have saved themselves 10 bucks a month and the price of a new router!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

Revilino wrote: »
    I was on-
    Digital Select Extra TV
    − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    − Digital+ HD
    − Sky Sports

It had been costing me 88euro for 12months, but at the end of contract in August UPC increased the price to 98euro and then this month the price was again increased to 103euro.

I rang customer support today, eventually got onto a lady in customer loyalty and pretty much straight away she offered to let me keep my current package for 78euro. Also, she said she would send me out a new router that would allow my broadband speed to increase to 50Mb.

TBH, if they hadn't changed the billed price i wouldn't have rang them! They would have saved themselves 10 bucks a month and the price of a new router!

note the date and this time next year ring them and give in your 30 days notice and let them chase you.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'm with UPC for about 5 years and it's only in the last 2 I started paying attention to how much I was paying them. I have always kept my bills just never read them.

The prices just kept creeping up so I decided to leave (genuinely) and that's when they put me through to loyalty.

Currently have;

30mb
    Value Tv
    Setanta Pack

63 euro.

I love their broadband but find their constant price increases infuriating because it's just another thing I need to concentrate on and I'm bone ass lazy. I told them after their last increase if they do it again I'll leave no matter what they offer me to stay.

What pisses me off the most about their constant price increases is that I'll ring and say I'll leave and get a bit off my bill but say my dad who just doesn't want the hassle of ringing up and 'complaining' as he thinks their broadband is 'fantastic', to some extent effectively subsidies me by paying the price increases.

I'm with UPC for about 5 years and it's only in the last 2 I started paying attention to how much I was paying them. I have always kept my bills just never read them.

The prices just kept creeping up so I decided to leave (genuinely) and that's when they put me through to loyalty.

Currently have;

30mb
    Value Tv
    Setanta Pack

63 euro.

I love their broadband but find their constant price increases infuriating because it's just another thing I need to concentrate on and I'm bone ass lazy. I told them after their last increase if they do it again I'll leave no matter what they offer me to stay.

What pisses me off the most about their constant price increases is that I'll ring and say I'll leave and get a bit off my bill but say my dad who just doesn't want the hassle of ringing up and 'complaining' as he thinks their broadband is 'fantastic', to some extent effectively subsidies me by paying the price increases.

re your dad........get him to ring upc and tell them to put you on as an authorised person on the account....then you can negotiate with them.

Anyway how did you get on with customer loyalty?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

kooga wrote: »
    re your dad........get him to ring upc and tell them to put you on as an authorised person on the account....then you can negotiate with them.

M

Asked this on another thread but got no replies - has anyone managed to get any loyalty offers whilst they have the Horizon box. I'm out of contract and my loyalty discounts expired the other day. Bill has jumped up quite a bit. Rang up and got through to the loyalty team but was told they can't offer any discounts as I have a Horizon box. Am considering sending the cancel email today but just wanted to hear if anyone has received any recent offers while on Horizon.

RQ2013 wrote: »
    Asked this on another thread but got no replies - has anyone managed to get any loyalty offers whilst they have the Horizon box. I'm out of contract and my loyalty discounts expired the other day. Bill has jumped up quite a bit. Rang up and got through to the loyalty team but was told they can't offer any discounts as I have a Horizon box. Am considering sending the cancel email today but just wanted to hear if anyone has received any recent offers while on Horizon.

send off the email.............you have 30 days to wait and see if they contact you. nothing to lose.

kooga wrote: »

M

I've said it to him about 7 or 8 times and he says it's fine for now. I rang up Sky on his behalf last month, pretended to be him and got a 25% discount discount from loyalty straight off the bat, might have been able to push for more but I couldn't follow through with any threats as it's not my account and he loves Sky. I reckon he's a customer for maybe 10 years with Sky and he was paying over 100 a month so I think he almost sort of 'earned' the discount, that's why it was so easy I guess.

Just checked my UPC bill there and there's a '5 euro loyalty discount' down at the end of it. If I take away the Setanta Pack which is 16 my bill is 45.75. Copy and paste time. :)

Digital Plus Subscription 21/09/13−20/10/13 0.00 23.0%
    Cable Digital Value 21/09/13−20/10/13 13.82 23.0% 17.00
    Setanta Plus 21/09/13−20/10/13 13.01 23.0% 16.00
    Total for UPC Digital 26.83 33.00
    INTERNET
    Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb 21/09/13−20/10/13 24.39 23.0% 30.00
    Total for Internet 24.39 30.00
    Total for Subscriptions 63.00
    OTHER CHARGES
    Payment Administration Fee 1 20/09/13 3.05 23.0% 3.75
    Total for Other charges 3.75

Loyalty Offer 5 euro Discount off Fibre PowerBroadband 1 21/09/13−20/10/13 −4.07 23.0% −5.01

Basically my bill is 63, but take away Setanta Pack and it's 47
    + Admin Fee 3.75 = 50.75 - Loyality 5 = 45.75

45.75 is fairly decent for basic tv pack and internet.

Sorry for the long post, hope it might give other people an idea.

RQ2013 wrote: »

I thought they only started selling Horizon boxes relatively recently (last 3 or 4 months?) so how can you be out of contract as any time you 'upgrade' your service or receive new equipment from UPC you are automatically signing up to a new contract. This is what I thought.

I think they're less likely to offer discounts on a new product (horizon) than on other services anyway as they probably want it to be seen as a 'premium' product/service.

If you're out of contract then maybe you could send them an email saying you hear that Sky are doing quite a good 'triple play' deal currently and you're thinking of joining them now. The thing is you have to be willing to actually follow through with any 'threats' of leaving so be prepared. Plenty of people actually do end up leaving like this.

I've said it to him about 7 or 8 times and he says it's fine for now. I rang up Sky on his behalf last month, pretended to be him and got a 25% discount discount from loyalty straight off the bat, might have been able to push for more but I couldn't follow through with any threats as it's not my account and he loves Sky. I reckon he's a customer for maybe 10 years with Sky and he was paying over 100 a month so I think he almost sort of 'earned' the discount, that's why it was so easy I guess.

Just checked my UPC bill there and there's a '5 euro loyalty discount' down at the end of it. If I take away the Setanta Pack which is 16 my bill is 45.75. Copy and paste time. :)

Digital Plus Subscription 21/09/13−20/10/13 0.00 23.0%
    Cable Digital Value 21/09/13−20/10/13 13.82 23.0% 17.00
    Setanta Plus 21/09/13−20/10/13 13.01 23.0% 16.00
    Total for UPC Digital 26.83 33.00
    INTERNET
    Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb 21/09/13−20/10/13 24.39 23.0% 30.00
    Total for Internet 24.39 30.00
    Total for Subscriptions 63.00
    OTHER CHARGES
    Payment Administration Fee 1 20/09/13 3.05 23.0% 3.75
    Total for Other charges 3.75

Loyalty Offer 5 euro Discount off Fibre PowerBroadband 1 21/09/13−20/10/13 −4.07 23.0% −5.01

Basically my bill is 63, but take away Setanta Pack and it's 47
    + Admin Fee 3.75 = 50.75 - Loyality 5 = 45.75

45.75 is fairly decent for basic tv pack and internet.

Sorry for the long post, hope it might give other people an idea.

that non direct debit admin fee is a killer at 3.75 when i was with upc i used to get bimonthly bills so had that fee 3.75 x 6 over the year rather than x 12. its to force you to sign up DD.

tv package wise that €17 a month is the lowest around and is only giving to existing customers plus setanta. I have my dad on that package at €33. so overall its good.

But if you are out of contract play hardball..............one year when i was a subscriber i got the 3.75 over a year refunded as a credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 fergie087

Thanks for info guys I will ring upc 's Loyalty department tomorrow and haggle as I.ve been with Chorus /upc since 2003

Advertisement