Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel UPC to open new contract to avail of offers!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

fergie087 wrote: »
    Thanks for info guys I will ring upc 's Loyalty department tomorrow and haggle as I.ve been with Chorus /upc since 2003

if you are happy with what they offer you take it, if not say no thanks and give 30days your notice. They will come back to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

I thought they only started selling Horizon boxes relatively recently (last 3 or 4 months?) so how can you be out of contract as any time you 'upgrade' your service or receive new equipment from UPC you are automatically signing up to a new contract. This is what I thought.

I think they're less likely to offer discounts on a new product (horizon) than on other services anyway as they probably want it to be seen as a 'premium' product/service.

If you're out of contract then maybe you could send them an email saying you hear that Sky are doing quite a good 'triple play' deal currently and you're thinking of joining them now. The thing is you have to be willing to actually follow through with any 'threats' of leaving so be prepared. Plenty of people actually do end up leaving like this.

I actually have the horizon box about 7 months as I was part of the trial. Signing up for the trial didn't extend my contract (at least i don't think it did) and my discounts were carried over from last year and only expired the other day.

Yeah think i'm going to have to make a call on it and just cancel and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just came across this thread on a google search.

I was in the horizon trial, and I received a letter there with an "extraordinary offer" "handpicked" for me. It's 80 quid a month for max tv, 150meg BB and some phone package.
    So I checked UPC.ie and it's not an offer, it's just "the price". If I was a new customer I'd have that for 50 quid a month for 6 months and then 80 quid thereafter.

What a jip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I am well happy with my latest deal with UPC. I was on the horizon trial and got that email about the trial ending and to change to the €80 a month pack. I rang and gave out about their horizon wireless and recordings being poor etc etc and asked to cancel the tv.

in the end I got a technician out yesterday he de consolidated the modem from the horizon box and installed a separate modem, have 150mb broadband, the max tv package and phone and all in for €66.25 per month.

it pays to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i cancelled upc (mmds) about 2 months back...do they take away the aerial & box??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

fryup wrote: »
    i cancelled upc (mmds) about 2 months back...do they take away the aerial & box??

Are yo sure you cancelled? I'm surprsied thay haven't looked for the box?

as in my case within days of cancelling MDS they rang to arrange a mutual time for collection of the box and remote control.

I questioned whether they will take the aerial and i was told yes, however when they rang, that is a day before to arrange taking it down, it didn't suit me and i never heard anything bank nor have i pursued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

I was out of contract before f I particpated in the Horizon Trail over the summer, does anyone know did I technically renew my contract?
    On Horizon essential now and they're offering via email a new 73€ package-but am i still out of contract with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

I would think that you are still out of contract. I can recall other posts when the trial started saying that going on the trial etc did not tie you into a new contract so don't know why it would with you.

On a side note - does anyone know if you go ahead and send the cancel mail to UPC will they contact you with offers to stay. I know Sky will but haven't heard anyone saying the same thing about UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Just came across this thread now. UPC are just about to start work around the house. Due to some new safety policy they can no longer walk across the roof of our garage and so they need to move the box yoke to the side of the garage. We're on the end of the road so we have the box for the rest of the street.

Currently we get a 'half basic concession' of 10 euro, which goes right back to the days when Chorus/NTL originally put up the box on the side of the house.

We're currently on
    − Digital+
    − Digital Max TV
    − Analogue TV
    − Multiroom Viewing
    − Home Phone - Anytime World
    − Home Phone
    − Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb
    and we pay about 90 euro a month (pre concession and before telephone usage is added on)

Long story short, do you think I'll get anything if I ask for my concession to reviewed with this change in where the box is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

patrickc wrote: »
    I am well happy with my latest deal with UPC. I was on the horizon trial and got that email about the trial ending and to change to the €80 a month pack. I rang and gave out about their horizon wireless and recordings being poor etc etc and asked to cancel the tv.

in the end I got a technician out yesterday he de consolidated the modem from the horizon box and installed a separate modem, have 150mb broadband, the max tv package and phone and all in for €66.25 per month.

it pays to complain.

be warned my last two bills didnt reflect the above offer I rang them and they had no notice of it on their system. they claimed to listen back to the recordings but said they have the bit about deconsolidating the modem but nothing about the price change.
    watch your bills closely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

Hey guys, first time poster here.

My current contract with UPC expires at the end of the month. Now I was on the phone with them today, and they basically said that I can have an upgrade to 50mb (i'm on 30) for an extra 3 euro a month. In doing so I would enter into another 12 month contract. On their website, it states that NEW customers can avail of 4 months half price.

On their website, it states that new customers can avail of 4 months half price. My question is, would it be feasible/cost effective to cancel my current contract (when it expires, to avoid cancellation fees) and then make a new one to avail of these offers.

It may be a pipe dream, but if it saves a few bob, why not like!

Don't know if you know this but if you ring them and say you're moving to somewhere they don't have coverage then they will cancel it for you without fees. For example I know they don't have coverage in Bremore Meadows, Hamlet Lane, Balbriggan. They can't install it there for some reason or another. Then get a new account for your address in someone else's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

Hey guys, first time poster here.

My current contract with UPC expires at the end of the month. Now I was on the phone with them today, and they basically said that I can have an upgrade to 50mb (i'm on 30) for an extra 3 euro a month. In doing so I would enter into another 12 month contract. On their website, it states that NEW customers can avail of 4 months half price.

On their website, it states that new customers can avail of 4 months half price. My question is, would it be feasible/cost effective to cancel my current contract (when it expires, to avoid cancellation fees) and then make a new one to avail of these offers.

It may be a pipe dream, but if it saves a few bob, why not like!

Don't know if you know this but if you ring them and say you're moving to somewhere they don't have coverage then they will cancel it for you without fees. For example I know they don't have coverage in Bremore Meadows, Hamlet Lane, Balbriggan. They can't install it there for some reason or another. Then get a new account for your address in someone else's name.

Advertisement