Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VEC staff to face cut in holidays after FAS scrapped???

• 08-01-2013 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

From an article in the Irish Independent 7th January 2013 http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vec-staff-to-face-cut-in-holidays-after-fas-scrapped-3343766.html

Apparently some VEC staff who work in "further/adult" education will have to give up their summer holidays as part of the Government's decision to scrap FAS. This means PLCs, VTOS, etc. The changes will not affect the summer holidays of primary or secondary teachers.

From the article ...

"In an interview with the Irish Independent, Junior Minister Ciaran Cannon said one of the issues that had come up was that VECs shut down in summer but FAS did not. He said that under the new model, training courses would have to be provided "all year round". "We hope to be able to achieve compromise through a process of negotiation and conciliation to bring the two models together," he said. FAS director general Paul O'Toole confirmed negotiations would take place with unions about getting more "flexibility" from these VEC staff over their summer holidays. "It's one of the challenges that we have but I absolutely do not think it's insurmountable," he said."

So what does this mean? Will the TUI stand for this? If this is allowed, are the Summer hol's of primary/secondary school teachers next in the firing line?

I'd be very interested to hear opinions on this, and whether anyone thinks this is just more kite flying or something that could really happen.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

VEC teachers have 6 weeks holidays if they signed Memo v.7 - anything else is by local arrangement.

Many VEC teachers, in prisons and detention centres etc. already work the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Most Adult Ed/ Further Ed VEC teachers are unemployed over the summer currently (and xmas, mid-terms, Easter, bank holidays, ...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I really don't mind losing holidays but I would want have some flexibility in choosing my holidays even if it was only 5 days. I'm trying to book a consultants appointment for the mid term break at the mo. I really shouldn't hang on that long but as a bin permanent staff member I can't afford to get a sick cert for it

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Don't forget that the spring mid-term and part of Easter are now ear-marked for "snow days" so you may need that sick cert at the end of the day anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

True but at least ill have shown I tried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I thought they simply re-named FAS to something else ... are they actually cutting jobs ? they should start with the management instead of teachers. (frontline staff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I am currently a tutor in VTOS with a CID for the last 9 years where we've always had the exact same holidays as the secondary school sector.

Can I now be required to work more weeks over the summer in line with the proposal in the op?

Advertisement