Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a handgun license

Options
  • 08-01-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm considering applying for a handgun license and using it at my local shooting range. I'm a 21 year old male student, and have experience at my university rifle club. I'm a decent (not amazing) shot, and essentially want to get a different experience. I've never had trouble with the Gardaí before, and I'm not sure they even know I exist (outside passport and age card applications). All my immediate family have pristine records, so there should be no problem from that end.

However I've heard that getting a handgun license in Ireland is difficult if not impossible. I'm also concerned that it may draw suspicion on my good character, if a failed handgun application was on my record. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid - I have an inbuilt suspicion of government bureaucracy.

I was just wondering if anyone here has applied for a handgun license after 2009, and would be willing to offer any insight into how this process works? Is it worth it?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If it's for a .177 air pistol or a .22lr pistol, it's fairly trouble-free (with the caveat that one or two places in the country have superintendents with biases against them and there you'd have a problem). If it's anything else at all, you can't get a licence for one (as it'd be a restricted short firearm and those are not legally licencable anymore in Ireland unless you had a licence for one prior to Nov 2008).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To elaborate on Sparks post (and because i started typing before he replied :D) as of November 2008 no centrefire handguns can be licensed. For that reason you may only apply for rimfire (.22) or air pistol with a magazine/cylinder capacity of no more than 5 shots.

Your application will be judged on it's own merits. Membership of a target range/club is a necessity as target shooting is the only valid reason for having a handgun.

The process is no more difficult than any other application. It is also very possible.

If you are refused it is not a "mark" against your character, nor should you view it as such. Pistols have a higher than normal refusal rate due to political desire to not have them as "prolific" as other firearms such as shotguns, and rifles. However the rate of refusal cannot be accurately judged because of the low number of applicants.

If it is something you wish to pursue i would look into it, and the first step would be to visit an appropriate range, and speak to people with pistols. See what they use, why, how it performs, cost, etc.

The other aspect to consider is not only the price of the gun, but the cost of security, license, ammo, range fee/membership, and other weekly/monthly/yearly costs. Remember it does not start and end at the buying of the gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HatoftheRabbit

Is there any restriction on semi-automatics? The Browning Buck Mark has taken my fancy, but I'd have no problem settling for a revolver anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »
    Membership of a target range/club is a necessity as target shooting is the only valid reason for having a handgun..

It must be added here that the club/range should cater for handguns as well, as some do not.
    Is there any restriction on semi-automatics? The Browning Buck Mark has taken my fancy, but I'd have no problem settling for a revolver anyway.

Most of the handguns in use are semi-auto .22lr with a few revolvers.
    If you have any interest in owning a handgun it's best to see as many as you can before buying one.
    They all seem to shoot differently and have different grips. So even if you 'Fancy' that Buck Mark is may not be the correct handgun for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Have you tried out any .22lr handguns yet? My advice is that before you do anything, head down to your local range if it caters for handguns and see the types of guns being used etc.

Try out as many guns as possible. Most lads are more than happy to talk to newbies about their guns, it's pros and cons etc. How a gun feels in your hand is far more important than how cool the gun looks. It might look cool but shoot like sh1t. Also, all guns aren't created equally. Some are more accurate than others. Talk to gun owners and ask them what they recommend. Try and fire as many as possible before you commit to buying one.

Personally, I'd go for a semi auto. They are more practical for a lot of competitions. If you bought a revolver, you would be restricted to 5 rounds and therefore wouldn't be able to take part in T&P1 or Multi Target as they require 6 shot strings. Your choice of competitions would be limited.

One thing to note is that you must have range membership, security arrangements etc in place before you apply for the handgun.

Here's a quick overview on how to go about the process.

1. Try out as many guns as you can until you find one that suits you.

2. Arrange the purchase of the gun. Get a letter from whoever is selling the gun to you stating that they are selling you the gun. This letter must have the make, model and serial number of the gun on it. You'll need this to go with your application. Remember, you won't be able to take possession of the gun until you have a licence for it.

3. Get yourself a gun safe. Some Supers require you to have additional security but you won't know that until you apply for the firearm.

4. Become a member of a range that caters for pistols.

5. Fill in the FAC1 form and give it to the Gardai. This is available online (www.garda.ie) or at any Garda Station. Make sure that you supply the following with your application; proof of range membership, the letter stating that somebody is selling you the gun, a note why you need that particular gun, a note with how much ammo you require and why you need that much, proof of your security arrangements etc. Also supply a letter from whoever is supplying the firearm (dealer/private) stating that the magazine/cylinder has been restricted or will be restricted to 5 rounds before you take possession of it.

5. Cross fingers and sit back and wait. Depending on where in the country you are, it's anybody's guess on how long you will be waiting. I was waiting almost 3 months to the day before I got my licence.

There's a fair bit involved in getting a licence but it's well worth it (if you have the money and patience).

Apologies if I left anything out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 HatoftheRabbit

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Mech1

If it's anything else at all, you can't get a licence for one (as it'd be a restricted short firearm and those are not legally licencable anymore in Ireland unless you had a licence for one prior to Nov 2008).

Just to clarify something for me please, I held a Pistol licence pre 08 for a Glock 9mm.

When the new licencing restrictions came in I sold the gun on to the north rather than fighting the matter in court.

Can I licence another center fire / restricted pistol on the strength of the previous licence?

No.

Not on a new gun. No new licenses for restricted short firearms.

You can attempt to license the gun you previously owned if such a position was possible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭akira336

Hi, I am Irish and living in Canada for the last year and a half, I am returning home in December, I can get licensed for a glock 17 easily enough over here. My question is this, If I was to try bring that back into Ireland, would it be possible? the fact that you currently own it and are licensed for it in another country give you any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

no you can only own .22 pistols here now so no g17 And it is not my opinion but the law as it stands. A very stupid law written to please ignorant people. To add to that you couldn't just bring it back with you anyway you would need a firearms licence and an import licence from the department of justice. Otherwise as soon as you would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm. You also need to be living in Ireland for six months or more to apply for a firearms licence whether you are a citizen or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭akira336

Thanks for your response, but I was in no way implying that I was going to just bring it back illegally, I was just curious would it help with the application process the fact that its something you own and are licensed for already.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

All of the above info is good, just adding my two cent worth.

I too started of last Jan looking to 'get into' 22 pistol shooting. I visited Harbour Hill range and met one of the gun dealers (Gunshop.ie rather than quoting his name in case he doesn't want that). He showed me basically all the regularly Licensed pistols in Ireland.
    I already had an idea what i wanted - which turned out to suit me anyway.
    He was able to let me test any ones i wanted to (wont get into the legal aspects, suffice to say this is legal).
    Made my choice, was given a serial number upon a deposit being paid and applied for my licence (also joined a club as well)
    Takes a long time as I have only just received my gun recently.

But man is it worth it. I never shot a centre fired, but the 22 is just real cheap fun! well worth the wait and process. just check youtube for american comments on using 22 rim fired pistols.

On what the other said above, if you meet the criteria, member of club, clean record, etc, then you are entitled to be judged and allowed a licence. Mind took just under the 3 month and it took 3 phone calls - each time at about a month apart to get them to 'remember' to move it along.

There is a lot to be said for having a dedicated fire arms licensing department. Our Garda are just too stretched to concentrate on the gun licences. also having the renewals ALL at the same time is madness....without dedicated department to deal with.

Oh, I don't think I know anyone with a revolver in .22 . you would need to plug any chamber over the 5 round restriction. Anyway the semi is the standard type for comps I think.

Just My 2 cent...do it you wont regret it!

PS you don't say which area your in???

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

dc99 wrote: »
    Oh, I don't think I know anyone with a revolver in .22 . you would need to plug any chamber over the 5 round restriction. Anyway the semi is the standard type for comps I think.

I was wondering the same. On the website you mentioned they sell a S&W 617. I wonder how that works out with the 5 rounds restriction, does anyone know if you have to "plug" the extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I was wondering the same. On the website you mentioned they sell a S&W 617. I wonder how that works out with the 5 rounds restriction, does anyone know if you have to "plug" the extra?

Yeah ya do.

As Blay said if the gun can hold more than 5 rounds, and you don't have a restricted license then it must be plugged. No option.

You don't plug it - it is supplied to you that way, same way the magazines for semi's are modified when you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Yes I understand the 5 round restrictions.

I see how this can be applied to semis because the bullets are stacked.

I was curious about how that works out for the revolver. It would have made sense that they supply it with a 5 rounds cylinder. But a 6-10 rounds cylinder with 1-5 plugs sounds odd.

Thats the way our gun laws work. - you can get (well actually you can't in reality) a Restricted gun licence and that would allow you to have a gun capable of shooting more than 5 rounds, but as i say you are very unlikely to get that type of licence....

You don't plug it - it is supplied to you that way.........
    It is the responsibility of the buyer/applicant to make sure the firearm complies with the license, as in unrestricted. The dealer also has responsibility here. So it must be plugged to a satisfactory level before the buyer can possess it.
    ........but as i say you are very unlikely to get that type of licence....
    you will not get that license. They are not issued anymore.
    But a 6-10 rounds cylinder with 1-5 plugs sounds odd.
    Problem being Ireland's market is far, far too small for any manufacturer to change the design of their firearm just to accommodate our laws. A special request, and buying direct from the manufacturer might work, but it is far more sensible to have it plugged yourself.

Advertisement